Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Let me ask a question. How are people NOT creating a V? Maybe I'm dumb, but you wrap a line around a 12" tree, there's gonna be a V. At least with hardware like Tarp Flys and Figure 9s, which I assume so many people use.
    I use a one-piece RL with tarp attached with prusiks, and while I could figure out a way to make a V it would be way more fiddly-work than just tying the RL to the trees and centering the tarp with the prusiks.

But admittedly I'm all about keeping things as dead simple as possible with zero faff and unnecessary gizmological complications.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet BBXLC
    Tarp
    Superfly + HG DFC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Let me ask a question. How are people NOT creating a V? Maybe I'm dumb, but you wrap a line around a 12" tree, there's gonna be a V. At least with hardware like Tarp Flys and Figure 9s, which I assume so many people use.
    I use these methods here because I enjoy knots:
    https://youtu.be/UHuUmNOwBAw
    https://youtu.be/Si6aRXDTqT0

Only hardware I use are dutch clips as they are really easy compared to threading the straps through the loop. Otherwise I'm pretty quick with the knots needed. If you practice with some paracord while watching TV or lounging around you can get pretty good with the knots needed. I've used that truckers hitch when cinching down stuff on my trailer.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I use a Dutch hook on one end of my CRL, and a Tarp Flyz on the other. You obviously can't create a V with a Dutch hook, and I don't care to do so with a Tarp Flyz.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I use a Dutch hook on one end of my CRL, and a Tarp Flyz on the other. You obviously can't create a V with a Dutch hook, and I don't care to do so with a Tarp Flyz.
    So how do you not make one with the Flyz end? Just move it down the line really close to the tree? Or is there some other way I'm not envisioning?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    So how do you not make one with the Flyz end? Just move it down the line really close to the tree? Or is there some other way I'm not envisioning?
    My Tarp Flyz is maybe six to 12 inches from the tree. If I were trying to make a V for the hammock suspension to go through, I would imagine it would need to be further from the tree (18 inches?).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    At the moment my ridgeline has a Dutch hook, 3 Nama claws and a wasp. The third Nama claw has some zingit attached and I attach the hook to that. Just experimenting right now and will probably remove it later but seemed easier than always tying a knot in the right place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Other considerations with the V:

1) Since the "textbook" V arrangement (page 234, Ultimate Hang 2) requires the tarp RL to extend from the tarp, around the tree and back to the tarp, for long hangs and/or big trees the RL will have to be longer in order to make the V. Not a big deal most of the time but a consideration depending upon where you hike. Easy 'nuff to make an extension if you're carrying some spare cord.

2) In addition to the other reasons I mentioned above, for smaller trees that sway I prefer to have the tension on the tarp independent of the ridge line suspension so that any extra tension caused by wind swaying the tree(s) is transferred to the RL and not the tarp itself. IMO this is especially pertinent for DCF tarps which do not stretch at all, and silpoly which stretches very little.

3) The purpose of the V is to allow the suspension to pass through the RL, so the point of the V should be very close to the tarp RL D-ring, especially if the tarp is pitched right down to the hammock SRL. So even though other methods of tying off the RL with knots (or other hardware) usually form a V, it is not the same as "The V" setup if the hammock suspension isn't routed through the point of the V.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I have no V.... Still using split RLs that use Fig 8 splice w/ a diamond knot at the tree end. Effectively the same as using a Dutch Hook so no V created at the tree end. Line extends to the tarp where a mini ucr is attached to the tarps ridge tie out.. so no V on that end either.

Still can't get comfortable with a CRL. Tried it again for a few hangs last season. If it is particularly windy I'll ease one or both S-RLs ucrs.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    My Tarp Flyz is maybe six to 12 inches from the tree. If I were trying to make a V for the hammock suspension to go through, I would imagine it would need to be further from the tree (18 inches?).
    Yes, got it! I'm actually going to try that next time.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    I’ve done V and no V and I like them both. I’ve done a V on a continuous RL and on tarp end Lines and like both very much. I like to change my rig every once and a while just for the variety, I’m currently using Nama claws on a line coming off each end of the tarp in V configuration. My preference for the v was not influenced my The Ultimate Hang.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast