Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
Other considerations with the V:

1) Since the "textbook" V arrangement (page 234, Ultimate Hang 2) requires the tarp RL to extend from the tarp, around the tree and back to the tarp, for long hangs and/or big trees the RL will have to be longer in order to make the V. Not a big deal most of the time but a consideration depending upon where you hike. Easy 'nuff to make an extension if you're carrying some spare cord.

2) In addition to the other reasons I mentioned above, for smaller trees that sway I prefer to have the tension on the tarp independent of the ridge line suspension so that any extra tension caused by wind swaying the tree(s) is transferred to the RL and not the tarp itself. IMO this is especially pertinent for DCF tarps which do not stretch at all, and silpoly which stretches very little.

Continuous ridge line or separate lines on each end will both experience increased tension with tree sway. If the tension in the continuous ridge line increases due to tree sway, the tarp will see increased tension through the connections (prussic, tato, etc) to the continuous ridgeline.

3) The purpose of the V is to allow the suspension to pass through the RL, so the point of the V should be very close to the tarp RL D-ring, especially if the tarp is pitched right down to the hammock SRL. So even though other methods of tying off the RL with knots (or other hardware) usually form a V, it is not the same as "The V" setup if the hammock suspension isn't routed through the point of the V.
I always put my Dutch wasp about 2 inches from the tarp on each side. I just never move it. I wrap the cord over the wasp when storing the tarp. I'm just adjusting the cordage and never spending any time adjusting wasp position. If it's a longer stretch, I keep a couple of hanks of line that I extend the tarp lines with using a quick Boy Scout knot.