Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various

Pushing a PLG topquilt

Yesterday I made up 3 PrimaLoft Gold Topquilts. The PLG had been sitting in
    a bin for quite a while. So it was time to finish up the batch. They turned out really well.
    Wanted something I could use as a throw, in the trailer or in the hammock so dimensions
    were a bit larger. 80"x58" 10D fabric. Weight came out at 20oz which included 2
    end channels, and a small 20" zipper for the footbox.

Last night I decided to see how far I could push them. I had been using my own 30° Down
    quilts and sweating at 30° so really needed something a bit more inbetween.
    Expected low was a 4°C/39°F. PLG is rated at 45°F/7°C. So it dropped even more.
    It went down to 2°C/35.6°F. I was pretty warm. I do recall at one point thinking maybe
    I could toss the throw overtop (had a spare/in case CDT in the gear loft) however I was
    too lazy and simply went back to sleep. This was using my 30°UQ wearing a tshirt and
    boxers. If I had wore a base layer I think it wouldn't have even bugged me a bit.

I guess that answers my own question if I should sew up a 40/50° down TQ for myself.
    Nope, this thing regulated heat so nice. The extra weight isn't a big deal for what I
    will want to use it for. I also think part of the attraction of the PLG is the way it drapes
    over the body so nicely compared to CSApex
    getout1.jpggetout2.jpggetout3.jpg

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Nice! I don't think 20 oz is too shabby for a quilt like that. I might have to make one myself...8)

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
    What camo is that?

I'm not usually a big fan of camo insulation, but that UQ looks really good!

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    That's one of my custom Flecktarn Derivatives I made for my shop. It's similar to my Forest Flecktarn except it has a few more yellow specs.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    That's one of my custom Flecktarn Derivatives I made for my shop. It's similar to my Forest Flecktarn except it has a few more yellow specs.
    Very nice! You wouldn't happen to have it in a silpoly would you?

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    I will have some pictures in a few weeks of one similar. Just without the yellow flecks. Such a busy time with orders. Two orders have these tarps.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Like this one.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    I'm not sure if it's worth it for you... but I'd be curious to see how you do in an UQ too.

That said- for top quilts I'm still firmly in the camp that PLG is the only thing that really makes sense around 45* and up.

The nice bonus in your rig/ design is that with a 30* down UQ in the gathered end it's not too hard to get yourself lined up well so that most of your coverage is coming from the UQ. With that extra width of TQ you can then fold that in half and get a double layer of PLG on top which takes you to about 25* F.

Point being- yer pushing ain't quite done, lol.

On the ground or in a bridge- it's hard to pull that trick off. But in a gathered end I think that extra flexibility you built into that style of top quilt would give you the option to double layer in a pinch and get you close to the bottom limits of your UQ's rating without much trouble.

The vastly improved drape of that stuff means much less fighting to bust drafts or heat excess air no matter how you use it.
    I really like them as a camp puffy for the winter too- you can put the footbox on your chest with the upper half of the quilt doubled up on your back. So you have 45* up front as you face the fire and 25* on your backside away from the fire.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I'm not sure if it's worth it for you... but I'd be curious to see how you do in an UQ too.
    The UQ I am not sure about. I had made one for day use / in the house use and Im not confident it's as easy to prevent
    compression since it's a thinner layer to begin with. I think we had this conversation once about it being used under you.
    At a certain point I think the weight / price point doesn't make sense. I think that TQ weighs about the same as my UQ
    which I am pretty sure will get me to at least 25°. Doesn't mean it isn't fun.. oh yeah I used up all my PLG

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    The UQ I am not sure about. I had made one for day use / in the house use and Im not confident it's as easy to prevent
    compression since it's a thinner layer to begin with. I think we had this conversation once about it being used under you.
    At a certain point I think the weight / price point doesn't make sense. I think that TQ weighs about the same as my UQ
    which I am pretty sure will get me to at least 25°. Doesn't mean it isn't fun.. oh yeah I used up all my PLG
    Yar- I was hoping you discovered some magic that might have made the UQ worth discussing further.

VW remains the PLG master with his triangle mapping technique, but that isn't super viable for a GE design. He also 'cheat's' quite brilliantly with some sneaky down additions to fine tune his tricks even further.

I do have one other quilting method that can get you a hair closer to the upper 30's range with 3oz PLG but....

I've shifted my thoughts on that topic as well; barring a few very specialized applications much lighter than a 35* UQ doesn't make much sense when you balance it all out.

Even on a super gram weenie scale I think you're ahead picking up your ounce or so of baffle and ounce or so of down to get a 30* under you vs synthetic or down options.
    That slops in for any other deficiencies in your kit/setup or just plain odd night. Going with a PLG top quilt, cutting out some sleep clothes or a million other choices the 30* UQ allows you more than covers the 'cost' of overdoing the rating in that one piece.

Extra feathers remain lighter than anything you can add anywhere else at the end of the day underneath.
    Up top- PLG has a slight edge still when talking about 45* and up... doubly so paired with that 30* UQ when you can stretch into the 30's.

I'd call that a solid option when lows are expected to be above freezing and even up to as high as 70's. 35-70* is the range I like for my three season system here in the Midwest.
    I like looking at systems more than individual pieces of gear. In that regard I like this combo more and more for that shoulder season system.
    In fact by playing with the UQ length and going with say a full length 30* for colder, and partial length 30* or 40* down UQ for summer you can stretch that Top Quilt out to fill in for both of them depending on your needs.

And of course- that PLG top quilt stacks over a 20* top quilt to get you to zero... so that piece can fill summer, three season, and deep cold needs. Add a zero UQ and 20* Top quilt and you're pretty well covered for anything here in the USA. Bit more work to do for you polite folks to the north.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast