ENO Ignitor....worth it at $75?

I'm in the market for a TQ for my upcoming AT section hike, and the HG guys seem too backed up to make the deadline. The pricing on these ENOs has hit the floor, and it's quite attractive. I've read a couple threads where they don't get much love for packed dimensions, but the price is considerably higher when mentioned in those threads. I'm also 6'2" so I'm on the upper end of comfort in any regular-sized gear. I'm looking to get a TQ that condenses nicely in a stuff sack, weighs reasonably and also won't destroy the bank. Is anything going to even come close to the Ignitor price point?

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    I don't know the specs on their quilts, but their hammocks are sub 10' long. It may be a little short for your hammock.

Oops, sorry, I didn't notice it was for a TQ...
    Last edited by 1-Hung-Low; 07-14-2020 at 22:26. Reason: Add text
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    ENO's quilts are notoriously colder than their quoted rating (in the case of the Ignitor, they're saying 30* to 40* comfort rating, which makes me think it's probably good down to 50* F). Also, ENO's stuff weighs a ton, 26 ounces for the Ignitor, compared to a 30* rated HG Burrow that is 17.41 ounces.

However, if you're willing to deal with the weight and packability issues, and don't care too much about the temp rating, $75 sounds pretty good for a quilt that normally retails for $229. Personally, I don't buy ENO products and never will. Not many folks on Hammock Forums do.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yeah I know there's no love for ENO here, and I get it. Also, good info regarding their temp ratings. I just don't have a big budget since I just bought a car and a dozen other pieces of gear. I would be happy to spend on the HG stuff if it weren't for a looming deadline. I should've done so when I ordered the UQ, but at the time I thought I'd just stick with my old cheap bag. Mostly, I'm looking to switch up to TQ because of space savings, since I have upgraded from a PLUQ and will no longer be haphazardly strapping the UQ to the outside of my pack. I posted in the classifieds to test the waters. I do worry the ENO stuff will feel small for me.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Just keep in mind that ENO gear has limited resale value. I've seen people buy ENO stuff at a significant discount, then they try to jack up the price. So, for example, you could buy that Ignitor at $75, then try to resell it for $150. However, most people don't fall for that ruse. I remember a few years ago, this guy found a bunch of ENO hammocks at what he thought was a killer price, maybe $30 each. He thought he could resell them all at $50 or $60, but nobody on HF would buy them.

Also, I have a ton of HG stuff, and sometimes they can accommodate a rush order. It's worth trying to get in touch with Harry or Adam to see if they can accommodate a rush order.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Budget is budget. If you can't buy what you want right now, why not use what you already have and wait till you can get what you want. Then you're not throwing those $75 away. Just my .2, probably worth less....

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Not for nothing but how much do you need for that temp? I'm pretty comfortable all summer with a fleece blanket. I have the bottom doubled back to form a foot box with cam snaps on the sides. I got a end peice of a bolt of fleece at a garage sale $5. It has a cool cowboy pattern with horses on it. I should get a picture...

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaronbagby View Post
    Yeah I know there's no love for ENO here, and I get it. Also, good info regarding their temp ratings. I just don't have a big budget since I just bought a car and a dozen other pieces of gear. I would be happy to spend on the HG stuff if it weren't for a looming deadline. I should've done so when I ordered the UQ, but at the time I thought I'd just stick with my old cheap bag. Mostly, I'm looking to switch up to TQ because of space savings, since I have upgraded from a PLUQ and will no longer be haphazardly strapping the UQ to the outside of my pack. I posted in the classifieds to test the waters. I do worry the ENO stuff will feel small for me.
    If it's primarily for space savings, a TQ with a thin shell and 850fp down is the best option. I watched this YT review (promo) and the ENO TQ looks (fast forward to 2:21) quite bulky to me. I'm pretty sure I could stuff 3 nice premium 40deg TQs in that stuff sack!

Maybe post a WTB for a quality premium quilt. You never know what goodies people have stashed in their closets that they never got around to using. The main things to look for regards to volume and weight are a thin shell (10D all-around) and 850fp or higher.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts