Tarp
    13' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Up! Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Costco Throw and Climashield Sandwich for a Top Quilt

Hi Everyone,

I've read a decent amount of threads about both CDTs and Climashield, but was just curious if anyone had made a top quilt consisting of a Costco throw on the bottom, a layer of climashield in the middle, and then the other throw sewn on top. I would be using the patterns others have made extending the length and creating a footbox.

Based on the charts others have made for layering quilts, it looks like if I used 5.0 oz/sq yd Climashield, I could get this down to around 15° or so. I also read somewhere the someone suggested having the Climashield layer on top due to the sewn through seams on the CDT, but I was ideally trying to not use any fabric other than the throws themselves.

Since I'm in Colorado, rarely is there a night camping that doesn't drop into at least the 40's, and I tend to sleep a little cold, so I wanted to create a top quilt that would keep me warm for three Colorado seasons. A single throw would rarely be useful here as a quilt. Thanks in advance for any advice or discussion.

Chris

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    I made a uq with climashield 7.5 and it is about 3 " thick. It is toasty, but hard to pack due to the bulk.

Images
    If it were me i would skip the climashield and just wear one bag inside the other. no sewing required, you don't need to cover "sewn through" areas, they can be separated back into two individual blankets, and its super easy to do.

When you stack two together, you naturally get the benefit of both blankets PLUS the dead air in between.

If that just isnt enough... add a third blanket! (or invest in a good purpose-made top quilt and save the blankets as boosters for winter.)

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    13' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Up! Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    If it were me i would skip the climashield and just wear one bag inside the other. no sewing required, you don't need to cover "sewn through" areas, they can be separated back into two individual blankets, and its super easy to do.

When you stack two together, you naturally get the benefit of both blankets PLUS the dead air in between.

If that just isnt enough... add a third blanket! (or invest in a good purpose-made top quilt and save the blankets as boosters for winter.)
    Do you think this would get down to 20° though? That's my goal. I already own the two throws, but then rethought things where I realized that one single layer quilt will never be effective enough and wanted to have one made to use for the entirety of my camping season (where nights range from 20° to 45°).

Chris

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislwillers View Post
    Do you think this would get down to 20° though? That's my goal. I already own the two throws, but then rethought things where I realized that one single layer quilt will never be effective enough and wanted to have one made to use for the entirety of my camping season (where nights range from 20° to 45°).

Chris
    If weight and bulk are not a concern you can add/subtract whatever you wish.

Temp ratings for very well known and widely used models are highly subjective at best and most times you won't know for sure how they'll work for you until you actually try them. You might be freezing and somebody else might be toasty.

Maybe try temporarily tacking the 2 throws together and trying them alone for a while, and than add the CS batting if that isn't enough.

Also, cooling off with a too-warm quilt is easy; the reverse cannot be said!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    My friend used two offset CDT's offset as an UQ into the high 20s and was comfy enough that he said he could've gone lower. He's NOT a very warm sleeper.

If you don't mind the weight and bulk, your suggested system should work. I think a layer of Climashield 2.5 should do the trick if you choose to add a synthetic layer. What I would suggest if you go this route, is to sew just three edges together, creating a pocket to add the Clima layer as conditions dictate. Gives you more versatility.

AHE offers a good price UQ that is proven if price is your motivator.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    13' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Up! Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    My friend used two offset CDT's offset as an UQ into the high 20s and was comfy enough that he said he could've gone lower. He's NOT a very warm sleeper.

If you don't mind the weight and bulk, your suggested system should work. I think a layer of Climashield 2.5 should do the trick if you choose to add a synthetic layer. What I would suggest if you go this route, is to sew just three edges together, creating a pocket to add the Clima layer as conditions dictate. Gives you more versatility.

AHE offers a good price UQ that is proven if price is your motivator.
    I was thinking about this route, but I'm trying to use the throws for a top quilt, not an underquilt, so the logistics of stuffing a Climashield layer in isn't quite as easy since it's not just a big rectangle.

Chris

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Sorry you did mention that and I got bogged down in my response

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    13' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Up! Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    Sorry you did mention that and I got bogged down in my response
    It happens to the best of us. Anyway the more I think about it, the more that my potential build would probably be similar in weight and compressed size to my 0° sleeping bag, so I might as well use that if I'm not saving anything.

Chris

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Would it be worth while, or even possible to get a second pair of quilts.
    Butcher one for the down, to extra fill two, giving you a standard one and two extra filled ones.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast