Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images

LSOH's Flectran Hammock

I retired 1 Jan of this year with plans to do lots of traveling, camping, hanging, back packing ect.

Was ready to go hike the Foot Hills Trail when the virus hit so I cancelled those plans and have been staying at home playing with the dogs and working in the garden.

Decided that since I have not gotten a new hammock in a few years it was time, Contacted James at Little Shop of Hammocks and gave him a list of what I was looking for and features and we emailed back and forth a few times.

I went with a custom DL Warrior Hammock

Note: I did get a SL Flectran Warrior hammock from James a few years ago and my only complaint is that the Flectran is a very stretchy fabric. While the Flectran is strong enough to hold me, I have found that I end up with too much sag due to the stretch.

So this time I went with a DL to reduce the sag

Went with a Flectran Cammo outer and Blaze Orange inner layer. James said he does not like to sew an opening for pads due to the hassle and I told him that is not an issue as I have only used a pad twice in 10 years.

64” wide and 11 ft long.

Got all the bells and whistles...a Ridge line organizer which is very large compared to many I have seen, a side pocket and a peak bag.

Also got the Camo Bug net option. Wasn't sure if I would like it but now that I have seen it up close my opinion is ..it rocks
    Got the bill and paid. Took about a month to get the hammock which is way faster than I thought it would take.

Hammock ( with out suspension ) weighs in a 2 lbs 6 oz. While this is a bit on the heavy side, one has to remember that is 64 inches wide.

One thing I did have to change was my choice of colors for the inner layer. Can't remember if James said he was out of the Blaze orange, not wide enough ect. Asked what he did have and I went with a Blue which looks good.

Since the last hammock James has increased the size of the stuff sack and added more pack hooks to the exterior of the hammock which is nice because it allows for more options when setting up your UQ suspension. I also like the fact that he includes zipper pulls with the hammock.

It has been very windy here so it has been hard to get pictures of the hammock. Also the wind put enough stress on the shock cord used with the side pull outs to break the shock cord. Not an issue to me as I rarely use side pulls outs and I have extra shock cord on hand. In one of the pictures you can see the yellow cord I replaced the broken line with. As soon I can find some black line and shock cord, I will replace the yellow cord and white shock cord.
    I have not slept in the hammock yet but have spend several afternoons in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gunner76; 05-05-2020 at 20:21.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Mine-ziz.... Nachos
    Tarp
    Yuge
    Insulation
    safishent
    Suspension
    MSH, 1.4gpf straps
    I know you wrote "and Blaze Orange inner layer", but dang if that don't look blue.

willin'

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    but dang if that don't look blue.
    If you read the whole narrative you will see where I went Blue as the Blaze Orange was not available

One thing I did have to change was my choice of colors for the inner layer. Can't remember if James said he was out of the Blaze orange, not wide enough ect. Asked what he did have and I went with a Blue which looks good.

Hammock
    Mine-ziz.... Nachos
    Tarp
    Yuge
    Insulation
    safishent
    Suspension
    MSH, 1.4gpf straps
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    If you read the whole narrative you will see where I went Blue as the Blaze Orange was not available
    ...and so it does LOL! gotta love that edit feature...

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I type up a long narrative like this one on Open Office and then copy paste to the forum. The only problem I have is regardless of what word processor program I use, when I paste to forum, words will end up being run together like this: "double layerhammock" and I have to go back and separate the words. I did not have to edit the deal with the color of the hammock as that was there from the beginning.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I cheated and looked at the pics before reading the narrative. Thoughts were how nice the outside camo pattern and camo net looked; Gee I would have gone with a lighter inner color as it makes things easier to locate perhaps burnt orange like my DH Raven and DH Sparrow have. Guess you covered that. I like to use a pad in the hammock for certain uses and having a double layer with material like hexon20 lets me position the pad and it stays put between the layers.

Enjoy your retirement and your new hammock!

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    Very nice! It gives me some ideas for mods on my Ridge Outdoors Pinnacle hammock I have been playing with. Silly Amazon.com thing is really great. I like it better than my XLC in many ways and has inspired me to probably have a new high end hammock made sometime. I like the pocket inside on yours. I think I might add one for my phone during the night. I sleep out back a lot and need to get up for work so need my alarm, unfortunately!! That would be handy. I need a new ridgeline organizer too as the one that came with the hammock sucks. I really like that camo bug net!! I think I will have that done on the new hammock I am dreaming of.
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I like to use a pad in the hammock
    I have used a pad twice in ten years so I am not worried if the hammock has a opening for a pad or not. Much prefer the warmth of a UQ.

I like the pocket inside on yours. I think I might add one for my phone during the night

Have not decided what I am going to use that pocket for. I keep my phone and my Kindle in the Ridge Line organizer

I saw that Ridge Outdoors Pinnacle hammock on Amazon and the price looks very good. Was thinking about getting one to try to see if you hold my fat *** up in the air or land me on the ground.

Is flectran a kind of stretchy material that is play on flecktarn camo? At first I assumed you just reversed the spelling, but then you said that the flectran was very stretchy, and so you went with a double layer. I had never heard of LSOH before this post, so forgive me for not knowing which way to read it.

ETA: My internet connection is terrible (living out in the country and with COVID and what not), and I just saw your pictures. Takes a few minutes per pic to load, so I usually don't . It is clearly flecktarn camo, but now I'm wondering why it would be so stretchy. I looked at the LSOH site, and he says the flecktarn is stiffer than other fabrics. Is yours a different, earlier version or something? How much do you weigh? Can you give us some details on his asym cut? Thanks!
    Last edited by SLG45; 05-16-2020 at 19:25.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG45 View Post
    Is flectran a kind of stretchy material that is play on flecktarn camo? At first I assumed you just reversed the spelling, but then you said that the flectran was very stretchy, and so you went with a double layer. I had never heard of LSOH before this post, so forgive me for not knowing which way to read it.

ETA: My internet connection is terrible (living out in the country and with COVID and what not), and I just saw your pictures. Takes a few minutes per pic to load, so I usually don't . It is clearly flecktarn camo, but now I'm wondering why it would be so stretchy. I looked at the LSOH site, and he says the flecktarn is stiffer than other fabrics. Is yours a different, earlier version or something? How much do you weigh? Can you give us some details on his asym cut? Thanks!
    The Flecktarn material has some give to it with higher weight users. If you are under 300lbs you won’t notice much. If you compare the fabric to say Hexon 2.4 it has more give to it. It’s a standard box ripstop nylon where as some of the other fabrics are a hex grid ripstop. If you compare it to a standard 1.9 oz or 1.6 it has less stretch. So going to a double layer helped put it back into the zone he’s wanting while keeping the camo as an outer option. There isn’t any other wide flecktarn camo fabric out there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast