Warbonnet BBXLC
    Tarp
    Superfly + HG DFC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing

Laurel Highlands - May 2019

This was a 4 day 3 night trip I did with a couple friends last year. The Stay at Home Order is giving me cabin fever and I was going through old pictures and thought I'd make a trip report.

The park office was great about answering questions and offering advice about planning. I explained I wanted to do 4 days and three nights, with a friend meeting me at the end of day two. She suggested we start at Ohiopyle and do miles 0-6. Then on Friday, we could complete Miles 6-11 and get picked up on Maple Summit Road and travel to the Route 653 Shelters to camp Friday Night. Saturday we could then hike back North to mile 24, and double back on Sunday to mile 18 and then get dropped off at miles 0. Their advise was great and it worked out well.

Gear I wanted to test
    Sierra Designs High Route Tent
    Hammock Gear Borrow*
    Thermarest NeoAir L
    ULA Circuit
    Altra Lone Peak 3.5

The following was our itinerary I made as a inside joke, but I'm attaching it because it could be helpful for those planning a similar trip. This trip only worked well because I had a party member meeting us half way. They are taxi services during certain parts of the year, but I didn't do much research into that.

Thursday, May 16, 2019- Miles 0-6.3
    Travel to mile 0 Parking Lot
    Leave vehicles at mile 0 lot
    180 Main St.
    Ohiopyle, PA 15470
    GPS: 39°52'19.9"N 79°29'38.8"W
    Depart for hike, Northbound from mile 0- Ohiopyle
    Arrive at mile 6.3 Ohiopyle shelters

Friday, May 17, 2019- Miles Miles 6.3-11.2
    Depart for hike, Northbound to Mile 11- Maple Summit Road
    Arrive at Mile 11- Maple Summit Road
    Carpool to mile 18- Rt. 653 Shelters
    1118 Jim Mountatin Road
    Mill Run, PA 15464
    GPS: 39°57'18.77"N, 79°22'11.49"W
    *Optional- Depart for hike, Northbound from mile 11- Maple Summit Road
    Arrive at mile 18- Rt. 653 Shelters

Saturday, May 18, 2019- Miles 18.5-24
    Depart for hike, Northbound from mile 18.5- Rt. 653
    Arrive at Grindle Ridge Shelter Area

Sunday, May 19, 2019- Miles 24-18.5
    Depart for hike, Sorthbound to Mile 18.5- Rt. 653
    Arrive at Mile 18.5- Rt. 653
    Carpool to mile 0 parking lot Ohiopyle
    180 Main St,
    Ohiopyle, PA 15470
    GPS: 39°52'19.9"N 79°29'38.8"W
    Depart from Ohiopyle to home
    Arrive home

lh1.jpg
    lh2.jpg

Day 1- Miles 0-6.3

This section is not for the weak of spirit. I'm in my thirties and overweight. I really underestimated the elevation changes of this section. This was toughest part and I'm glad we did it on the first day. Surprisingly, I never got sore, but I attribute it to non-stop hiking for 4 days. The view from the first scenic outlook was great. The water sources were beautiful and I only saw one piece of trash on the trail, which was at Mile 6. It appeared that some plastic sheet used as a ground sheet fell out of someone's pack. The trail was busy from mile 0 to the outlook at mile 2.5, but after that it was just me and my friend. I learned that going down hill hurts worse than going uphill. The elevation changes are tough, but getting to the Ohiopyle camp was very rewarding. The water source at the connector trail was clean and clear. I filtered using a Sawyer Squeeze and Smartwater Bottle. I used two 1L bottles. I didn't bother filtering water into a bottle for drinking and just filled up both bottles at each source and drank with the filter. There was a well, but it looked like it had not been used in a while so we didn't bother pumping it. This worked perfectly. The camps were clean and Ohiopyle feels very secluded. We cooked and didn't bother making a fire because we were beat from the day.
    IMG_20190516_105442.jpg
    IMG_20190516_120838.jpg
    IMG_20190516_131307.jpg
    IMG_20190517_084214.jpg

Day 2 - Miles 6.3-11.2
    It rained early morning and the Sierra Designs High Route was bone dry inside. I was very happy with the performance in the rain and there was plenty of space inside to keep my gear. I kept my packoutside the inner net, inside the tent and wrapped the straps around the hiking pole to keep it secure. You can see my tent drip drying above. After eating a little breakfast, we packed up and pushed on. The hike starts with a long climb to Sugerloaf Knob. The trail then levels off and the rest of the hike was smooth and easy. We stopped for lunch and looked a grove of ferns and enjoyed the cool shade. Once you get to the top of the ridge the hiking elevation changes are smooth and easy. There were several sections that take you through some rocks and over some creeks. This was probably my favorite section of the hike. My friend picked us up at Maple Summit Road and we drove to the Rt. 653 Parking lot. We hiked back to the shelters and camped. This camp was very busy and completely packed. Because it was so full, we couldn't really find a good place to put our tents and found some flat grassy spot next to the main trail of the camp. The water source here was a well and pump. Reminder here, it could take a while to draw the water up so keep pumping, it's not broke, you just need to keep pumping. The camp was quiet and everyone kind of kept to themselves. There was a brief moment of rain and we ate dinner next to a fire in our rain gear. There is plenty of firewood a the garage in the back of camp. A park ranger walked though and checked the reservations of the shelters. He didn't speak with use, I assume because we were tent camping. There was a large group of teenagers that appeared to be just camping for the night. The close proximity to Rt 653 lot probably makes this a popular over night camp. We saw a group with two large coolers cooking hamburgers, hot dogs, and having a full picnic.
    IMG_20190517_104506.jpg
    IMG_20190517_114136.jpg
    IMG_20190517_121658.jpg
    IMG_20190517_140701.jpg
    IMG_20190517_150833.jpg
    IMG_20190517_150833.jpg
    IMG_20190517_155406.jpg

Day 3 - 18.5-24
    It rained a little overnight and I ended up putting my tent away a little wet. It was too shady and I was unable to find a sunny spot to dry the tent. This section to Grindle Ridge was flat and pretty easy. I felt pretty good this day after recovering from Day 1. I decided to not really take any pictures this day and just took in the day. The Middle Fork view was neat and the rock formation there is really neat. Grindle Ridge was packed with boyscouts. This camp is far from any parking lot and was all hikers. There is a stream near the back left corner of the camp, where we set up tents. This was the best tent spot in my opinion. We scouted the whole camp and I think were were near shelter 5. The scout dads were really nice and we chatted for a bit after dinner. It rained a bit over night at some point. The scouts were having a blast and really seemed to enjoy themselves. There were plenty of spots for hammocks and probably the best site for hammock camping of the three I visited. Although it was packed, I never felt cramped as there is plenty of space. Note, there is a clay range nearby and there was some gunfire in the mid afternoon.
    IMG_20190518_111533.jpg
    IMG_20190518_142644.jpg

Day 4 - 24-18.5
    We doubled back and headed back to the parking lot. I was particularly tired this day. It was very hot and the high was 85F. Day 1 really gave me a beating and I was finally feeling it. I thought about the trip while headed back to the 653 lot, and was proud I completed miles 0-6.3, but concluded I'd never do it again. And if I did do it again, I'd only do a 3 day trip. I was very happy with the trail and condition. Everyone seems to really care for the trail. I was very happy with the gear selection and the quality of the tent. I've used it since on a couple car camping trips and it's a very good tent. It's not super ultra light, but a fantastic lightweight tent with plenty of room inside. The pack was wonderful, but a little hot on my back. There isn't any space and that's probably my only complaint of the pack. The shoes worked well and offered great space for my wide feet. I used superfeet trailblazer insoles and they worked well in the LonePeak 3.5s. Very happy with the shoe and insoles. If I go back again, I'll bring a hammock as there are plenty of places to hang.
    IMG_20190519_155332.jpg

I would rate this as a 9/10. I really wish there was a camp around Maple Summit Road. Obviously this is asking a lot, but having a camp between Mile 6.3 and Mile 18 would be nice due to the amount of elevation changes near Ohiopyle.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Nice report.

If your date is correct, and you were there in 2019, we did the same trail at the same time... Group of five us, three tree dwellers and two stayed in the leanto's. It rained 85% of the trip. One of us thru hiked it and the rest of us did various lengths. We didn't have a single view due to the rain, cloud cover and green tunnel, but what it lacked in scenic views it made up at the many, many water crossings.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Warbonnet BBXLC
    Tarp
    Superfly + HG DFC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Nice report.

If your date is correct, and you were there in 2019, we did the same trail at the same time... Group of five us, three tree dwellers and two stayed in the leanto's. It rained 85% of the trip. One of us thru hiked it and the rest of us did various lengths. We didn't have a single view due to the rain, cloud cover and green tunnel, but what it lacked in scenic views it made up at the many, many water crossings.
    The dates are definitely correct. That's awesome. This was my first multi-night trip and although I got dumped on a couple times, it was wonderful. There was definitely some green tunnel action going on, but the outlooks were great. I guess I'm just used to the green tunnel. Great place and definitely want to go back and do the other sections.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    LOL that initial climb out of Ohiopyle is an eye-opener... just strolling along the road parallel to the river and the RR tracks and BAM! it makes that left turn and up-up-up. I was in pretty good shape at the time and I noted specifically that it took me 1hr52min to top out the ridge.

And yes, there is a whole bunch more uppity-downity to it than I originally thought. It basically follows the ridges but it dips down quite a bit for the drainages and roads.

And definitely a great place for hammocks. PA-DCNR does a great job maintaining/managing their assets.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts