Southern Oregon and yes I fell for the hype

So i got convinced that hammocks where the way to go for me. I have rheumatoid and Psoriatic arthritis and so I'm pretty limited in my hiking. I had a few things that really convinced me;

1. cold sleeper, no matter how much I have under me the ground always pulls the heat out of me. I'm hoping that he someday to be shipping heated sleeping bag sack from Sierra Madre Research will solve that problem.
    2. back pain and leg pain, not being able to stand up after a night on the ground is no fun
    Reason the Third. speed of setup, I have sudden onset flairs of swelling in my knees and feet that can cripple me in a few minutes. Being able to have my bed read in a few minutes with minimal movement is great.
    4. ease of takedown, less time on the ground dealing with gear.

Now when I ordered the heated sack I got in on a Ninox setup also from SMR as yall know. I've seen the opinions on it here and not having anything compare it I can't counter any of the thoughts. I'm 6'2" and around 270lbs so I needed a fairly heavy hammock anyway. I've only setup my hammock once so far as I started a second chemo drug and it's kept me from being too active this year.

A few thoughts on the Ninox;

1. I found the hammock to be comfortable. Compared to the cheap off the shelf hammocks I've tried.
    2. The fixed ridge line seemed a little odd to me but having limited experience I don't really know what changing it would accomplish.
    3. You are a long ways from the ridge line but even with it in the middle I could reach into it and get my phone out.
    4. the rain fly does fit really well but the way it's meant to attach I could not get it high enough to stand under. Not that I would want to as any higher and I couldn't put my feet on the ground from the hammock.
    5. The Talon suspension is ok but I think rather then running the hook through the loop, I am probably going to put a caribiner on the loop so I don't have to handle the suspension as much because it's probably been in the poison oak.
    6. I think I would rather have tags on the various hooks for things, rather then the reflective corners.

Note that i had the fly higher here then intended. It's supposed to run to the talon hooks, but I have it run to the loops.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7ZFMMXLqQha5Nagf6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ffGmixd1MSxeYB9B8

- Haz
    By way of Grants Pass, Oregon Territories

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Re: 2. Most hammocks with a ridge line have a fixed length ridge line from the vendor. Folks who like to experiment with different ridge line lengths usually add their own. I've gone to replacing the vendor ridge line with a whoopie ridge line that is adjustable. It seems most folks head for a shorter than vendor ridge line length and this can also be experimented with by taking wraps around a carabiner in the middle of the ridge line. However, my sweet spot on the DH Sparrow and WBBB XLC was for a longer than standard ridge line. All a matter of personal preference.

I had a kickstarter Ninox and ended up sending it back because it was advertised with an adjustable ridge line. I also found the tree suspension hang height so much higher than either the DH Sparrow or WBBB XLC that I wasn't sure how well it was going to work out on wider spaced trees. Since it was still brand new, I opted out for sending it back.

There is definitely a wealth of roominess in the Ninox and the lay was definitely comfortable enough for me. I would probably buy another one if I could get a bargain on a used one. I wish you the best with your hanging experiences. For the cold, I didn't notice you mentioning a under quilt or insulated inflatable pad which is a necessity for most hanging conditions. It will take a bit to get the hang (pun) of setting up and taking down your hammock, but that vastly improves as your experience grows.

Ah yeah, I have a 0 degree under and over quilt

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I actually purchased my first hammock, a blemished discount WB Ridgerunner while working in John Day, OR around 2010. Definitely brought a whole new perspective to my camping experiences.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    The ninox has a learning curve to it. If you look for Cajunracer here on the forum, he could provide some great tips!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I have found PRACTICE is the key to a comfortable speedy set up. I have a few little medical quirks along with being short. I do not function with my arms over my head so I must get my straps up correctly and quickly. Not cool to wake up in a hammock filled with rain water!

Short and frequent practice sessions enabled me to learn how to set up properly for me.

Getting warm and keeping warm also required experimentation. I have O'F quilts. I always use my 0' UQ. TQ sometimes I need it sometimes not.

The tricky thing is if you perspire to the point of where your quilt becomes moist you will become cold. Read up on vapor barriers.

For me a heat pack on my stomach (not gut--stomach) makes my body think I am warm everywhere.

Also keep your head and shoulders covered.

Carefully select WHAT you sleep
    in.

A warm beverage such as tea or hot chocolate gives a boost to warmth. Alcohol is trickier so use caution if you choose to go that way.
    Last edited by IRONFISH45; 05-04-2020 at 19:56.

Worst part is I'm not always cold, but between the nerve damage and spinal arthritis it hurts like I'm in winter river.

• + New Posts