Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Continuous Ridgeline

I am new here, I am looking at the Dutchware Continuous Ridgeline for my tarp. I am wondering if there are other options - I like how quick it is to put up. Thank you.

Hammock
    bit.ly/2m61xEz
    Tarp
    bit.ly/2mZLRIw
    Insulation
    bit.ly/2pZjkEn
    Suspension
    bit.ly/2LY6heV
    There are many, many ways to rig a tarp with a continuous ridgeline. See The Ultimate Hang by Derek Hansen, or this article, for some examples using carabiners, Dutch hardware, or no hardware (just knots).

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The way that works best for you - no ultimate/universal “best” way - depends on the kind/size of trees you will encounter, the season (ridge line over in the spring/summer/fall, under in the winter), and the type of weather you expect to encounter. You will be balancing weight of suspension gear vs forces on the tarp. For example, if you have separate line on each end, the tarp ridge line itself becomes absorbs any “pull apart” force. If you use a separate line from tree to tree, hanging the tarp on that line, then the line takes the force. Of course, around here, big Ponderosa’s don’t move very much

IMG_1067.jpg
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    i've converted all my tarps from dutch's continuous ridgeline to this: https://www.autumnultralight.com/pro...with-namaclaws and I like it a lot better. Dutch's system is good but I found adjusting the prussic to be a pain at times and I always had an issue getting the hook to let go because how small it was
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    If it rains keep it on the outside. Otherwise if you like it leave it on the inside. Tie some drip lines to the ridge line outside the tarp if it is rainy. Watch Shug's videos on hammock basics on Youtube.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    There's no way around it... You have to try a bunch.

Everyone is going to be different on this.

I started with what essentially a DWG setup. I switched numerous times in search of something 'better' and even went back to the CRL for a few trips.

I prefer split lines.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I've used Dutch's setup, and found it to be a pain to use, literally. Trying to adjust the prusiks with cold hands was quite painful. My favorite setup is a split ridgeline with the small black toggles that Myerstech sells. They're cheap, and work better than Flyz, Wasps, etc...

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    So. Many. Options. This is one of those areas where the opinions of others may keep you from making a HUGE mistake, but it will still leave you with a bunch of viable options, too. Good luck.
    Oooh, shiney! What does THIS button do?

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    as mentioned, there are many ways.

from a practical standpoint, it's better to go direct from tarp to tree, NOT to use a CRL:

• less cord=less weight, less bulk, less untangling

• A CRL not being perfectly flat & level will invite water to follow gravity and drip over your hammock, and you'll probably think you have a leak in your tarp and spend the rest of the trip soggy, then a lot of time afterwards seam sealing for nothing, only to have the same thing happen again 5 trips later, because you hung a light from it. Then you'll take the light off to keep it from getting wet and it will stop dripping, and suddenly it will make sense, but now it's too late because you're only day 1 into 5 days of heavy rain and no chance to dry out your quilts. Seriously, you could go years without it happening. because it's not really an issue in light rain.

many beginners prefer it because it's easy to center a tarp.

For years, I used to be a CRL "under" supporter (get it?) but I have since switched to using beetle buckles for both tarp and hammock, and I only use a supporting ridge-line in the winter, and that's a heavy duty ratchet strap that only supports the weight of the tarp and is not physically attached to any of the tie-outs. it's only purpose is to help prevent snow load from ripping out the Ridgeline loops.

Centering isn't a difficult thing to do, and it's not like it needs to be perfect, especially if you're like me using a 13ft tarp for an 11 ft hammock which offers plenty of wiggle-room. Even so to center, you measure both ends, from hammock gather to Ridge-line loop, then lengthen the short end, and shorten the long end by ˝ of the difference between the two measurements.

so if you measure one end to be "elbow to fingertip" long, and the other end is "elbow to wrist", then the difference is a whole hand (fingertip to wrist), half of that is fingertip to knuckles, so you loosen the short end by a good amount to get slack, then tighten the long end by the length of your finger, then just tighten up the loose end taut.

I never saw any purpose to going OVER the tarp, it's just extra rope for no purpose. may as well just go right to the tree and not carry an extra 11-20ft of cordage

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by WalksIn2Trees; 04-30-2020 at 12:43.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Just a comment that “OVER the tarp” does not bring any drip water under the tarp AND provides support for the poles used with the panel pulls. Also can be used as a clothes line for drying things on a sunny day.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast