GeerTop Hammock Sleeping Bag

My first real post, forgive me for any rookie mistakes.

I have made an amateur first look walk through video of the GeerTop Hammock Sleeping Bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX9NFk13q0g

I have done 2 nights in this thing, the first was god awful. Then I tweaked and changed from a tighter hammock straight lay to an extremely slack lay, not only was I able to get my comfortable diagonal lay back again but also a very comfortable side sleeping lay as well.

I will be making a second video later to explain my setup, tweaks and mods, learnings, and further impressions. For now I am happy with this purchase, It's very warm, I will probably use it for some time and then maybe get a Snugpack Cocoon or Hyke & Byke.

Snugpack/Hyke&Byke if your reading, you can always send me one and I'll review it

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    +1 on the Snugpak Coccoon..I've had mine going on 6 years now and it's help up amazingly well. If it's near 6lb weight is a non-factor for you, then I'd definitely check one out if you ever get the chance. I hang full time at home and it's what I use every night.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    +2 on the SnugPak Cocoon. I use it when I need to supplement my (approx)40 deg SnugPak Underquilt.

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    How tall are you? This seems interesting, but looks like it might be for shorter people?

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Not sure if you are asking me, but I'm 6' even.

Hammock
    DIY 1.0 11FT
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckles
    First of all, how jealous I am of your backyard. I love the GeerTop Hammock Sleeping Bag, and after watching your video I know what I was looking for to give to my boyfriend. Thanks a lot!

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brownrl View Post
    My first real post, forgive me for any rookie mistakes.

I have made an amateur first look walk through video of the GeerTop Hammock Sleeping Bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX9NFk13q0g

I have done 2 nights in this thing, the first was god awful. Then I tweaked and changed from a tighter hammock straight lay to an extremely slack lay, not only was I able to get my comfortable diagonal lay back again but also a very comfortable side sleeping lay as well.

I will be making a second video later to explain my setup, tweaks and mods, learnings, and further impressions. For now I am happy with this purchase, It's very warm, I will probably use it for some time and then maybe get a Snugpack Cocoon or Hyke & Byke.

Snugpack/Hyke&Byke if your reading, you can always send me one and I'll review it
    Ive been kicking around the idea of doing a giveaway on my YouTube channel "Chesapeake Hammock and Outdoors" to pass on some of the gear I no longer need or use. The main prize is going to be either a *gulp* tent : the OneTigris Backwoods Bungalow version 1.0 ( after I re-seam seal it and replace the crappy guy lines it came with) OR some hammock insulation, with both prizes getting some other small hiking, camping or hanging gear items thrown it with it!

The Bungalow 1.0 was a great first model I think, just needed a few redesigned elements to make it actually waterproof and functional. The 2 person Bungalow 2.0 and the newest in their baker tent line, the 4 person Tigers Den, are the product of OneT fixing the issues with the original, making sure to upgrade the seam sealing , ventilation and the stitching of ridgeline guyout loops.

That said, however cool that tent is it's not remotely close to what anyone here would be interested in I'm guessing..... you want to know which insulation you could win am I right????? Well, I haven't decided completely yet, but the Snugpak Cocoon might be a possibility, as well as the OneTigris 10° winter UQ ,the regular Snugpak UQ with the modifications I've done to add end cinches and a " standard" primary/secondary type suspension, or maybe even a down quilt, idk yet. I also might throw in a military LC-2 Y harness with an ACU camo MOLLE belt pad and MOLLE pouches, a few MRE components/ Mtn house meals, or some other cool gear and/or clothing that I have in my gear room that I no longer need or use.

I was going to do the giveaway when I got 200 subs, but with everything that's going on right now I figured this would be a great way to help one or two or maybe even 3 or 4 lucky people get the gear they need to get them outdoors, and away from the madness for a bit. My channel definitely isn't a super popular one with thousands of subscribers and my videos might not be the best quality or even come close to going virus, but I feel like I do a good job of showing things up close without me in front of it for 10 minutes trying to explain it like a lot of other gear review channels do. I really try to show what I would want to see if I were watching and give the best view and info I can. I want to help out as many people get outdoors as I can.... be it on the trail, in a hammock or even in a ***gulp*** tent lol. I've got a literal TON of stuff that I either upgraded from or don't use that can, I hope, make it a little easier for whoever wins. It might not be brand new down quilts from HG, a Chameleon with all the accessories, or the lightest weight / most expensive gear, but it's all in great shape and will perform how you need it to and be reliable.

SO, the Snugpak Cocoon.... lol,.... now that I think about it, if the winner(s) don't choose it then I'll offer it for sale here on HF at a stupid low price. Same goes with the rest of the hammock insulation, clothing and gear that doesn't get chosen. I will make an official announcement vid when I get it all organized and decide exactly what the prizes will be, but the Snugpak Cocoon will definitely be a prize as will the OneTigris UQ and the Y harness.

SORRY FOR HIJACKING YOUR THREAD OP !!!!! I figured this had to do with the Coccon, and you mention wanting to review one in your original post, sooooooo, I'd give you a way to possibly win your very own! I'm not gonna ask anyone to subscribe or even like my videos: if you decide you wanna watch them you will, if you like what you see and wanna get notifications on my new vids, you'll subscribe. Your all adults and know what to do and how YT works, you don't need me telling you how to do it, right? LOL, Ok that's all, I promise! Good luck if you decide to subscribe and enter the giveaway OP! The Cocoon is one of my favorite quilts surprisingly and has kept me cozy warm, dry and comfortable for 6 years now. It might not be the lightest quilt, but it's definitely bombproof both on its own and when used to supplement a traditional UQ to get you down to lower temps! I've used it with Snugpaks UQ & TQ and was cozy warm @ 10°F. Your gonna love it!!!!! ~ Chesapeake
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

I'm curious about this (and bag/quits in general) as to how snug this is? I'm wondering if you're able to lie diagonally at all to get a flat lie.

Hammock
    Hummingbird
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Pelica
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I bought one and have four nights in it. My first experience was awefull as well, but like you I slacked my hammock and I got one of the best nights sleep ever. One thing I noticed is the bag likes to try to rotate so the zipper is up instead of on the side. I found that with the slacked hammock it was easy to straighten it out. Mine probably rotates because I toss and turn a lot in my sleep. Overall this is one of the best $100 purchases I've ever made.

• + New Posts