Night Owl
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator/BA Bag
    Suspension
    Straps and a loop.

Therm-a-rest Vesper 20 deg quilt

Has anyone out there used this quilt? It looks like the weight and cost are competitive. It even seems a little wider than most (in the long). If I can get through the summer without a top quilt I'm thinking about this one using the REI member discount.

https://www.rei.com/product/147654/t...-down-quilt-20

The only video review I can find are for ground dwellers, and I'd love an "elevated" perspective.
    Do a Good Turn Daily!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    One feature I highly recommend is a drawcord closure at the top. In fact, for me it is so important that the lack thereof is a disqualifying flaw.

And if there is a possibility of using this quilt for ground sleeping with an air mat, an elastic strap set-up that holds the quilt to the air mat is extremely nice to have. I notice that the Vesper quilt has one, but from what I can see it doesn't work the same as the excellent and time-tested elastic strap design that Enlightened Equipment employs.

Quite frankly, although I am an EE fanboy there are many great cottage vendors here and for that kind of money I would recommend getting something like a Hammock Gear Premium Burrow, or check out other vendors such as UGQ, Loco Libre, Jacks R Better etc. They (and some others) have been catering to satisfied hammock customers for a long time.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Simply Light Design 10' netless
    Tarp
    WiL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE apex quilts
    Suspension
    Muletape
    I've been using one through last fall before the deeper winter started and went back and forth between it and the JRB Sierra Sniveller. It really compacts well and there is some weight savings if going on a multiple day trip. I did use it in the hammock for several nights hiking the Black Forest Trail in PA. Temps got to about 25 to 30 degrees over night and the quilt kept me quite warm. The 900 fill down lofts up nicely but it is not a generous overfill. You'll hold it up to bright light after being compressed and can see gaps where the down shifts in the baffles. A good shake and given time for lofting and it fills in the voids. The foot box is deeper than most quilts but this has not been a problem for the colder weather. If getting too warm I can pull my feet out easy enough to regulate being too hot. Some times when sleeping on my side I wanted for a wider quilt as my legs / knees may sprawl wide. But it was plenty wide enough, I just had to get it centered more for tucking in the edges. The down filled neck collar snugged up really works well keeping the heat in and few quilts have this feature. The attachment points for straps further up the sides rather right on the edge of the quilt provide for a near draft free seal against a sleeping pad. Better than others I have tried.
    http://www.stc-hike.org/ Susquehannock Trail Club web site - PA STS trail info

• + New Posts