HH and Eno Double
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    No need in FL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Rep Rings

Overkill?

It's been so long since I've been on here. I'm pretty sure I went a little heavy on my suspension. Sorry about the quality

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Better than underkill. Plus you’ll always have a nice tow rope with ya when you’re campin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HH and Eno Double
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    No need in FL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Rep Rings
    Used 3/8 amsteel for s&g. Two six ft sections and made some whoopie slings. It works but definitely overkill.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaywxsl View Post
    Used 3/8 amsteel for s&g. Two six ft sections and made some whoopie slings. It works but definitely overkill.

Holy guac! 1/8 Amsteel is considered "heavy duty" for hammocks, and most use 7/64!!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    HH and Eno Double
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    No need in FL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Rep Rings
    Oh I am well aware that's why I did it for s&g that's not salt and garlic

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I bought a length of the “big stuff” to teach myself the last (for me) of the Amsteel techniques - creating an eye splice using only one end of the line. Not only was it easier to follow YouTube examples and create the loop, it was easier to pull it apart so I could do it over again a few times. Buy yeah, you have yourself a section of “multi-purpose line. Hammock suspension and pulling boats out of the lake.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    HH and Eno Double
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    No need in FL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Rep Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I bought a length of the “big stuff” to teach myself the last (for me) of the Amsteel techniques - creating an eye splice using only one end of the line. Not only was it easier to follow YouTube examples and create the loop, it was easier to pull it apart so I could do it over again a few times. Buy yeah, you have yourself a section of “multi-purpose line. Hammock suspension and pulling boats out of the lake.
    I have 50 ft of 1/8.. I told my wife how strong the 7/8 was that I could pull 3 of my trucks with it . She said how is that possible.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    You don't say how you plan to use your hammock. Overkill is very much a relative term. Something that is overkill for one person might be perfectly reasonable for another. I regularly hike for days at a time with my kit. I want my suspension as light as possible and still be strong enough to hold my 250 lb mass and anything extra that I want to hang (e.g. insulation, pack, boots, wife , etc.). I use 7/64" Amsteel whoopies on UHMWPE straps (no hardware). But if I were to rig a permanent set up in my yard or in my home, I might go with a heavier, sturdier, and long-lasting suspension. Weight usually isn't a worry in that situation and long-term reliability/peace-of-mind would be much more important to me. I once knew a guy who hung a hammock in his basement with vehicle tow chains and was very happy with it. In short, whatever works for you in your situation is not overkill.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    I have some just like that . I bought 3/8 instead of 7/64. My bad. Makes great tow gear.

Hammock
    HH and Eno Double
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    No need in FL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Rep Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by PopcornFool View Post
    You don't say how you plan to use your hammock. Overkill is very much a relative term. Something that is overkill for one person might be perfectly reasonable for another. I regularly hike for days at a time with my kit. I want my suspension as light as possible and still be strong enough to hold my 250 lb mass and anything extra that I want to hang (e.g. insulation, pack, boots, wife , etc.). I use 7/64" Amsteel whoopies on UHMWPE straps (no hardware). But if I were to rig a permanent set up in my yard or in my home, I might go with a heavier, sturdier, and long-lasting suspension. Weight usually isn't a worry in that situation and long-term reliability/peace-of-mind would be much more important to me. I once knew a guy who hung a hammock in his basement with vehicle tow chains and was very happy with it. In short, whatever works for you in your situation is not overkill.
    Mostly hang in the back yard with the HH and the wife and I like to "camp" in the florida keys every year for our anniversary. I have a much lighter set up with 1/8 continuous loops with buckles and webbing when I go back home to southwest virginia and hike through the Appalachian mountians.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast