Tarp
    DWBH12,JRB12,UGQ12
    Insulation
    CR0,JRBMW4,B40SL40
    Suspension
    DWBB,SuprSusp
    Images

Hennessy Asym

I just picked up a Hennessy Backpacker asym in sil-nylon on sale for about $50. I already have a Superfly, I bought this for day peak-bagging trip insurance, and a fair-weather fly for my wife. My wife has a 10ft hammock. Does anyone have experience hammocking with this tarp in in-climate weather? I'm concerned about the fly's effective coverage in a rain storm or summer squall. Thanks all.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If it’s the same asymmetrical tarp used with the Explorer is will just cover the hammock. But it is common to rig it on its own ridge line, not connected to the hammock suspension itself. Also, for a “rain storm” I imagine the water coming more or less straight down. For a “squall” I imagine a lot of additional wind. In that case, I’m not so sure (make sure tarp is rigged low). But I also think of a squall as something furious but passing quickly through - not a sustained storm. So fair weather and short term - I’d think it would be fine.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    I've experienced some thunder storms with it. Pitched on the hammock suspension. I have never gotten wet.
    Last edited by psyculman; 04-30-2020 at 03:47.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner, Hennessy
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin, ridgr
    Suspension
    Whooppees
    My most success with the original hh tarps is when they are hooked to the hammock suspension as designed, and then staked down at about a 45 degree angle.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The concern mentioned with using the hammock ridge line was that suspension line gets tighter or looser when you get in the hammock and that would change the “pitch” of the trap. Either it would be looser along the ridge line or take more stress if it were pulled wider. However, that’s how it’s designed and HH wouldn’t have it setup that way if it were clearly a problem. So I’m guessing the best reason to have separate suspensions is to have more flexibility in the tarp’s height above the hammock.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Ultralight Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex/Stock
    Insulation
    Cumulus UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Hennessy stock
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    So I’m guessing the best reason to have separate suspensions is to have more flexibility in the tarp’s height above the hammock.
    I agree. I have a Hennessy Explorer Zip with the stock small tarp, and I've noticed that if I think I really need the tarp, I use separate suspension. That actually makes it possible to pitch the tarp lower than with using the hooks on the hammock suspension. You can pitch the tarp so that the hammock suspension touches it and actually lifts it up a bit when the hammock is empty, when you enter the hammock it gets lower and the tarp is nicely close to the hammock ridgeline. But if I'm just pitching the tarp one one side to keep out some wind or I'm in a hurry, I usually attach the tarp to the hammock suspension to make pitching quicker. The fact that Hennessy tarps come with separate suspension lines already tied to the tarp suggests that Tom Hennessy agrees also.

When it's hotter and the weather is good, I also use separate suspension to pitch the tarp higher up to get better ventilation.

(I also added a separate (adjustable) ridge line under the tarp to help solve the problem of tarp sagging when it gets wet (this is also shown in some of the Hennessy's videos).)

Hammock
    Ridge Runner, Hennessy
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin, ridgr
    Suspension
    Whooppees
    "The concern mentioned with using the hammock ridge line was that suspension line gets tighter or looser when you get in the hammock and that would change the “pitch” of the trap. Either it would be looser along the ridge line or take more stress if it were pulled wider."

If it concerns you, add in a piece of bungee cord to the guys for the tarp. That solved this problem for me. Make sure they are pretty substantial bungee though, or wind will blow the sides in.

• + New Posts