Tarp
    MacCat standard
    Insulation
    Undergound Quilt
    Suspension
    Arrowhead whoopies

Linvile Gorge

3/15 - 3/18/20

Linville Gorge has been on my todo list for a while. I had considered a trip in December but I ended up sick. In the beginning of March, I started thinking about where to go for my spring break and decided that if the weather cooperated, I would do the trip I had planned for December. Of course the Covid thing kept getting worse, but I was going to be going solo and hopefully there would not be too many people in the woods.

I got to the Wolfpit Trailhead about 3, it was obvious that I wasn't the only one with the idea of hiking. A bunch of dayhikers were just coming off the trail as I headed up. I passed a couple more groups of dayhikers on their way out, so I was hopeful that I would not feel crowded.

I wanted to enjoy the sunset, so I planned on stopping at the first good campsite I came to (only about 1.5 miles). I found a nice spot with a great view and no one else around. The clouds were a little "thick" for nice colors, but the sunset was still nice.

Woke up the next day and I was in the clouds. I could still hear the river far below, but could not see more than about 100 feet in front of me. Since there wasn't anything to see, I figured I would hike down to the river and camp low.

It rained overnight and into the morning, but eventually cleared

I decided to head back to the same campsite as the first night so I could enjoy the view again. I got back to "my campsite" and found a giant car camping tent and a roaring campfire and no one around. If I had been hiking out to the car, I would have filled up with water and put the fire out, but I wanted one more night and I was going to have to camp sort of nearby. So I filled up on water for the night/morning and went back up the trail to a different view point. On the way I passed what looked to be a group of young guys who appeared dumb enough to carry that tent for backpacking. I was glad I was a little bit away from their site and hoped that I would not be tempted to kill them at some point

The clouds got thicker, so it was another sunset like the first one, not a lot of color but pretty.

I woke up and headed back to the car. The idiots were already gone, but they had left a smoldering fire even though water was about two minutes down the trail. I spent about 10 minutes and a couple trips to the spring to put the fire out.

Linville Gorge is very pretty, but even in the middle of the week is way too crowded. Even on the rainy day I passed a couple backpackers and some dayhikers. The nice days had lots of dayhikers and then the idiots with the fire just to cap things off. I suspect that I will go back, but it will be in the middle of winter and hopefully that will keep most of the dayhikers away.

lots more photos here https://backpackandbeer.blogspot.com...lle-gorge.html

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    One of my favorite spots. There are some spots that get the frequent yahoos, though. Nicer report.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wsp_scott View Post
    Linville Gorge is very pretty, but even in the middle of the week is way too crowded.
    Dammit youtube!!!

Thanks for the report. Great views but I just haven't got the will yet to make the drive.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Some very nice pictures. I encountered a similar trailhead scene this past weekend with folks and families who just had to escape to the mountains and enjoy the nice weather. Apparently, I was guilty as charged too.

Regarding the fire left burning. I had the opportunity to issue a number of citations in my decades working the back country. Some things were a sure deal for a ticket. Among those opportunities were abandoned campfires, not practicing bear attractant storage, and not having weed free certified hay. All were worth a $500 educational moment due to the potential consequences of such negligence, i.e. wild fire initiation, high probability of a dead Grizzly aka T&E species, or an ecological disaster to native species.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    MacCat standard
    Insulation
    Undergound Quilt
    Suspension
    Arrowhead whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Some very nice pictures. I encountered a similar trailhead scene this past weekend with folks and families who just had to escape to the mountains and enjoy the nice weather. Apparently, I was guilty as charged too.

Regarding the fire left burning. I had the opportunity to issue a number of citations in my decades working the back country. Some things were a sure deal for a ticket. Among those opportunities were abandoned campfires, not practicing bear attractant storage, and not having weed free certified hay. All were worth a $500 educational moment due to the potential consequences of such negligence, i.e. wild fire initiation, high probability of a dead Grizzly aka T&E species, or an ecological disaster to native species.

I would have loved to have written a ticket, but I think $500 is not enough. I also would have been happy whacking them with my hiking poles

Wow! Great photography and edits I don't know why but the composition of the dead tree in the marsh really talks to me. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Enjoyed the pics and post.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    HG dyneema
    Insulation
    Diamondback,wookie
    Suspension
    Spider/Beetle
    Images
    Great pictures and post. I was there in early March for a week and its like feast or famine. Some areas had tons of people and others had nobody. Depended on how remote they were. Still it's an awesome place as your pictures show.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing – George Bernard Shaw

Hammock
    Darien
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    HG and CRO
    Suspension
    Kevlar-Lapp Hitch
    I have only day hiked in the gorge. Really beautiful place! Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Walking is man's best medicine." - Hippocrates

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    MacCat standard
    Insulation
    Undergound Quilt
    Suspension
    Arrowhead whoopies
    Glad you all liked the photos, Linville Gorge is definitely photogenic. Not sure when I will make it back, but I will definitely return.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast