DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images

Porch Mode.. front side, back side or both?

I've been doing this hammock thing a pretty long time and never got into using porch mode. If the weather is really nice I do QuarterBack mode, but the lure of porch mode eludes me. Likely because I don't spend a lot of time lounging in the hammock...

Which side do you prefer to pitch the porch mode on? Your dominant side (Front)? Back or both? And do you do head and foot end?

I am a left lay and often pitch the tarp low and tight. Can't decide if it's better to pitch porch on the left side, or right. As a result of low and tight, the tarp is usually angled to follow the ridge line (who says the tarp has to be level?) and after years of hammocking it's habit to always enter from the foot end, so I would do porch at the foot only.

Weird that I never got into using porch...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Porch mode!! The best. I can't image not doing the side I exit from (side with a view from hammock). It's great to lie there and just watch the rain.

Here's an oldie from 2012. First trip ever, 3rd night. Porch mode got me hooked.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Can't come up with why I never took a liking to it. I know I have always worried about critters chewing on the handles of my trekking poles and I didn't want to wrap the guy lines around the handles.

I do recall doing it on one of my very first hangs and interestingly it was with a MamaJamba (which I think you are picturing) and it rained. And that rain is what totally hooked me to sleeping in a hammock.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I don’t have a hard and fast rule about it, but like you I typically enter and exit from the foot end when the tarp is deployed. If I’m in camp for
    More than a couple of hours before tucking in then I’ll do porch mode, especially if it starts raining and it’s not a strong wind.
    I’m a right lay and most times I’ll open up the right side of my hammock so I’m just swinging my legs out to sit up.
    But honestly I’ve done either side just depending on the wind direction and which side is facing the main camp. Sometimes it just works out that because of wind direction, brush, and where the campfire is my left side is facing the campfire so I’ll do porch mode on that side.
    Like a lot of things with what we do with hammocks, it’s one of those play with and see what works type of issue. Personally, if I’m by myself and I’m “camping” more than hiking, I love porch mode. If I’m hiking and putting in mikes, and camping is simply a pause to eat and sleep then I don’t mess with it. Unless it’s raining and I need to cook, then I’ll pop the side up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I'm left lay (head right) and I like the right side open, and also the integrated net zipper on the right as well. And I enter from the head end. I guess I'm kinda weird.

Usually semi porch (pole on head end corner) but sometimes both. Low side of tarp pitched against the wind.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    OneClick, What a beautiful spot.

I do not always do porch mode, which I loosely define as just pitching the tarp with a shallow angle to allow views out the side. If there is a view, If we get into camp early, Or If I just feel like it, I will do porch mode. Never considered small critters chewing on the trekking poles. Beauty of inexpensive gear, less worry about the what if's if there is remote potential for damage.

When I do porch mode I will lift the side my fee will face. That way I am not looking over my shoulder. If weather is bad, or windy I will re set low and tighter for the night.

Mike it sounds like you need to get out this quarantine thing is making you think too much

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I default to porch mode any time the weather permits. I love the views, the extra space under the tarp, and the airflow it allows. I used to enter my hammock from the foot side, because it's easier to get in and out. And I would always put the porch on that side. Unfortunately you don't get to admire the view as much. The best view is on the head side. So now I put the porch on that side and enter/exit from there. It's a little more challenging to get into the sweet spot, but man I love being able to look out of my hammock from that side.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    I don't ever do porch mode either, and I'm not sure I ever have. Largely because I prefer my tarp up high enough to stand under, so that when I'm in the hammock, I already have a pretty good view out already. I found that one of the advantages of using the inside end pole mod, is that I don't have to tension the guy lines nearly as much, the weight of the poles keep it in balance, and when the wind blows it tips the windward side of the tarp down towards the ground rather than allowing it to lift up so I'm able to pitch the tarp higher because when the wind blows it'll dip down and add coverage.

Like you guys, I usually only enter and exit from the doors, though I'm not averse to ducking under the side.

one of my favorite tricks is to hang over a fallen tree if I'm lucky enough to find one oriented the right way. This gets me up even higher, for a more expansive view out and gives me something that isn't dirt or mud to stand on, and put gear on, though, remember ants love these fallen trees, and many times are the reason it came down.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    If the weather is nice I do porch mode using my hiking poles and if it's real nice I may hunt some limbs to do the double porch mode.

20200416_192047.jpg

Porch mode is towards the view or towards the campfire. This night there was a heavy thunder and lightning storm and I sat in the hammock and watched the fire and the heavenly lightshow. Ignore the towel, I had it between the top of my hiking staff and my tarp as a buffer.

porch.jpg

- Clyde

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast