Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    I default to porch mode any time the weather permits. I love the views, the extra space under the tarp, and the airflow it allows. I used to enter my hammock from the foot side, because it's easier to get in and out. And I would always put the porch on that side. Unfortunately you don't get to admire the view as much. The best view is on the head side. So now I put the porch on that side and enter/exit from there. It's a little more challenging to get into the sweet spot, but man I love being able to look out of my hammock from that side.
    This what prompted me to ask the question. Seems to me it's best to pitch the foot end up, on both sides if possible. after all these years, I am excited to find something new to explore!!

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I'm left lay (head right) and I like the right side open, and also the integrated net zipper on the right as well. And I enter from the head end. I guess I'm kinda weird.

Usually semi porch (pole on head end corner) but sometimes both. Low side of tarp pitched against the wind.
    You'd think I would know this.. Never took note of which way you are positioned.. I always go to sleep before you and you wake up well before I do.
    Glad you mentioned this though. I am close to finishing the other three Half Bird hammocks and already cut your fabric. I would have made it backwards. You need the zipper on the right side?

Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    ...Never considered small critters chewing on the trekking poles. Beauty of inexpensive gear, less worry about the what if's if there is remote potential for damage.

When I do porch mode I will lift the side my fee will face. That way I am not looking over my shoulder. If weather is bad, or windy I will re set low and tighter for the night.
    Salty sweaty soft grips are like buttered lobster for ground animals.
    That makes sense for my setup since that is where I tend to enter the tarp as well..

Mike it sounds like you need to get out this quarantine thing is making you think too much
    You're not kidding. This is my longest dry spell. My wife assured me that if I left the house to go to the woods the locks would be changed when I returned.

Quote Originally Posted by DocWatson View Post
    Porch mode is towards the view or towards the campfire. This night there was a heavy thunder and lightning storm and I sat in the hammock and watched the fire and the heavenly lightshow. Ignore the towel, I had it between the top of my hiking staff and my tarp as a buffer.
    - Clyde
    Thanks Clyde.. I agree it should be towards the view, unless that is the windward side. The question is.. do you like to look at the view out over your feet or out over your shoulder?

LOL... I know there is no RIGHT answer.. but it's fun to see how we all do it different..

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Hard to imagine critters bold enough to get that close to your hammock to chew on the handles of your hiking sticks.

LOL.. Seriously? Crazy *** chipmunks, porcupine, racoons, mice.. Even the deer have come right up camp.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Can’t imagine why you can’t put a clove hitch around the handles as the guy line continues to ground, but at one time a vendor sold little “caps” that sit on top of your pole handle (pointed end in ground as usual). The caps have a loop on each side - a “from” and a “to” - and you rig your guy line through them..
    Gossamer Gear soft Corkolon foam grips.. the guy line would leave an indent in the grips that, though I am sure would go away over time, would really piss me off for a while. My DIY carbon fiber sticks are open on the top so I can stick a trail stick in the poles shaft at the top of the grip and wrap the guyline around the stick. Could also make a set of those triangle pole cups I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    A hammock is for sleeping, and I sleep at night. So there's no view to be had when I hit the hammock...
    Can't agree with you here Silvr... If you aren't getting a view at night, try picking a different site! My most memorable sites are those that had great night views.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Never considered small critters chewing on the trekking poles. Beauty of inexpensive gear, less worry about the what if's if there is remote potential for damage.
    I just got back from a 4 day trip. The $18.39 I paid for the Cascade Mountain Tech are still going strong after 14 months. I've been using them hard with no issues other than the markings somewhat worn off (where I'm always twisting it shut).

You usually get what you pay for. Sometimes it really doesn't matter.

p.s. porch mode every night!

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Thanks Clyde.. I agree it should be towards the view, unless that is the windward side. The question is.. do you like to look at the view out over your feet or out over your shoulder?

LOL... I know there is no RIGHT answer.. but it's fun to see how we all do it different..
    I like to get in/out of the hammock on my left side. (that's the side of the bed I get in/out of at home too) If I'm lounging I like looking out to my left also.

- Clyde

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Actually, vision dictates when I will use hiking poles (which is never). I am blind in one eye and have 30% vision in the other. I simply can't see the poles. Most one-eyed people have a very hard time seeing things that close to their body. I tried hiking poles for one hike and darned near killed myself. If you have no depth perception, hiking poles just aren't a viable option.

Give it a try - cover one eye and see how those hiking poles work out!
    I too am blind in one eye (my left - born that way), I also have a bad leg from a car accident in 2010, as a result my balance is horrible. Because of the uneven ground and as my bad leg get's tired my balance becomes worse and worse. I borrowed trekking poles and didn't care for them. I prefer a lightweight hiking staff that I made myself (many of the store bought natural hiking staffs are too thick and heavy and not long enough). It's about 6' in length. It's there to provide balance as I try to step around mudholes, rock-hop water crossings, etc. I also used it to do porch mode on my tarp, but I found that often after a day of hiking I still needed the hiking staff to get around the campsite so this spring I picked up a trekking cane that is small enough to easily strap to my pack to use at the campsite and if the trail is really rough I can use it as a trekking pole with my staff.

- Clyde

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I like porch mode, but don't use it very much. By the time I get my camp setup, I usually just get something to eat and head to bed for the night. The few times I have used it, I use my basic poles that came with my snow shoes I bought at Costco. The poles work great, and have survived some pretty rough treatment by myself.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123