Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    I use the Fronkie netting for some years, my first was a DIY, my second was from Dutchwaregear. I've since gone Chameleon, so I guess I have both perspectives.

My DIY Fronkie netting taught me that you need to have the bottom entry weighted. I used 1 inch nylon webbing in a loop (smaller than the width of the hammock) through a channel.

This did two things:

It kept the netting pulled tight enough that you could see well through it and "sealed" against the outside end of the hammock which helped keep the bugs away from your face, though there's still the risk that you can press against it in your sleep. I sometimes put one arm behind my head and have woken up with it pressed against the netting and covered in bites.

it allows you to find the bottom entry opening with your foot, rather than unknowingly stepping on it with one foot and then tearing it as you try to get out. This is how I ended up adding the loop of webbing to begin with, before that, I had left the opening unweighted.

The Dutchware bottom entry bug-net has a shock-cord closure which basically serves the same purpose, but i still ended up stepping on it and tearing it while exiting because it's not as "meaty" as the webbing was.

with regard to mosquitos hitchhiking in with you, I really haven't experienced much difference in the number of mosquitoes that would come in with me since switching to an integrated bug-net... just one seems to squeak in occasionally, and at first you're not sure if it's inside or outside until it lands on your nose and you go on a hunt. Usually I try to catch it in a fold of bug-net.

I find the integrated bug net less restrictive, less weight, less bulky. you still have to be mindful of not tearing it when entering or exiting.

With regards to protecting my backside while using an integrated bug net I've been just fine using the underquilt. In the heat of summer I usually only use my under-quilt and stow the top-quilt but keep it handy for the 3am chilling. (a summer weight quilt-set, of course)

actually I'm kind of surprised that Dutch hasn't revealed an integrated gear sling accessory that's accessible while zipped in. That would also keep the bugs off your butt even without an under-quilt. I would find this much more preferable to the sidecar accessory. The sidecar just throws the whole hammock out of whack, the weight of whatever it is that you put in there pulls down that whole side of the hammock, meaning you can't put much into it, definitely not water bottles, plus the opening is in the wrong spot, and the items invariably end up where you can't reach them easily.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone who replied; it's been very helpful. So, I'm leaning towards a separate bugnet based on people's comments. I already have a basic gathered end hammock, so I can try it out for now and make a dedicated hammock later. I like the idea with the Fronkey style bugnet that you don't need to close the netting all the time. The mosquitoes really come out at dusk, so I could probably get away with just letting the netting hang until bedtime.

cougarmeat: Thanks for the suggestion. I took a look at BIAS and will use it for inspiration. I will probably buy the tree straps, but will DIY the rest of the setup. I enjoy making my own gear, I typically buy materials for a few projects which makes shipping to Canada cheaper than buying pre-made gear from a few places, I'll have enough scraps to make some gear shelves etc., and my DIY stuff always seems to weigh less than commercial products.

Doc: I'm intrigued but the integrated gear hammock. I haven't seen that. Do you know who made it so I could take a look and copy some ideas?

Thanks again!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    SimplyLightDesigns has a smaller gear hammock on clearance.

https://simplylightdesigns.com/colle...various-colors

I tried a DIY with some RSBTR waterproof yardage but I cheated and paid for it. Instead of actually doing it myself, I took it to a local sewing person and she didn’t quite follow what I wanted (hammock + flap to cover if it’s raining. I even pointed her to the MollyMac page that has pretty much what I was trying to duplicate. After using it a few times - the cover flap was way wider than necessary - I took it to a second gear fixit person. They put channels and the cover flap on the wrong ends so it is more a gear “bag” then an hammock. By then I had as much, if not more, invested in it than if I would have just bought the MollyMac version.

The SLD model is not waterproof - at least I recall the zipper isn’t. But you could run your tarp ridge line under the tarp - making sure you have water breaks so rain doesn’t run under the tarp - and the weight on the ridge line will pull it down so it doesn’t rub on the tarp ridge line seam.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by conly View Post
    Doc: I'm intrigued but the integrated gear hammock. I haven't seen that. Do you know who made it so I could take a look and copy some ideas?

clp96F0.png

The bottom of the bug net was a nylon fabric that had an adjustable strap and small carabiner on each end on the inside of the net. You connected each biner to the ends of your hammock inside the bugnet so that the weight of the gear was on the straps and not the net. Weight limit was advertized as 55lbs.

- Clyde

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, ENO
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I will add this great DIY video link. I modify it by making it longer and adding a Velcro opening on one end. I have made 4 of these for our family and used them for eight years or so. They are very durable. https://youtu.be/gQRoEpK-7SY

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon or DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    ^ what he said. I've made a handful of these. The only difference I did was as a velcroed end that allow you to hang net free. Great net and cheap.

Between the trees and above the ground.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12