Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Worth sharing...

If you do use one of the items mentioned to dilute the sealer, make sure you use a rigid and strong mixing vessel.. not a Styrofoam coffee cup. The mixture will eat right through the cup. Ask me how I know this...
    I remember as a kid dissolving foam cups in gasoline to make homemade napalm. Flicking it on rocks and stuff outside. Good clean fun with friends.

I have the hammock gear Journey on order so this really help.
    I’ll do it on my living room floor and do both sides like you did
    How’s it holding out?
    Quote Originally Posted by WalksIn2Trees View Post
    idk, but whatever sealer HG shipped with theirs worked great, flowed nicely.

I get my packages delivered to the office, so what I did was, over the weekend, spread the whole tarp out on the conference table and literally flood coated each entire panel-pull, not just the seams but the entire diamond out to ½" beyond the seams, then I did similar with the ridge-line. went back the next day, flipped it over and repeated. I have to say the giant conference table made this job super easy.

my tarp from UGQ, I ordered with the seam-sealed option.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    no issues, the seam-seal hasn't peeled anywhere (like it did on my Old Man Winter)

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    Hi, why do they put silicone from the inside ? I would put it from the outside only, for better access to the stitch. And it covers all. From the inside you dont cover the space between grosgrain and the fabric. I think.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by infrastellar View Post
    Hi, why do they put silicone from the inside ? I would put it from the outside only, for better access to the stitch. And it covers all. From the inside you dont cover the space between grosgrain and the fabric. I think.
    I'm not 100% certain on this, although I am 100% certain that if I'm wrong somebody will correct me on it.

but I think it's partly for aesthetic reasons, because it means the sealant is applied on the inside, instead of the outer surface. you will notice that commercial tents and waterproof clothing that have seam tape applied, it is also applied to the inside. Personally I don't really care about the aesthetics of it. Those kind of aesthetics only apply when you expect other people to be looking, and I don't know about everybody else but when I'm in the woods, I'm usually looking at the underside of the tarp, or out at the world, for the short period of time while my eyes are open.

Aesthetics aside, it means that the sealant itself is out of the weather and less likely to be a abraided slowly over time by dust and branches etc, although I'm not sure how much effect that has in the long run.

In terms of hydrostatic pressure, seam-sealing from the inside is more than enough when not submerged as is the case with a dry bag intended for boating, although even with those the expectation is that it should float which means it won't be fully submerged to any serious depth.

With regards to commercial tarp makers, sealing on the inside means that they can make it just as waterproof but use less sealant. This means a lower-cost tarp for you, but at the same quality level. As an example, in the case of a standing seam Ridgeline, it means you're applying one bead of sealant down the length of the Ridgeline, to seal the two panels together...whereas if you do the outside of the standing seam that means you're running two beads down either side of the grosgrain, plus you have to try and fill the space between the fabric and the grosgrain.

I sealed inside and out on my tarps, none of which have ever been rained on so hard to know whether it was a good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    Thanks, might be that case

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I think it might be that inside is more protected from UV degradation. Maybe also protected from some wear as I’m guessing most fold their tarp so the outside surface is out. A tire company gives us plastic bags around the snow tires when they swap them out in the spring. All summer long that bag is exposed to the sun. By fall, the bag is partially brittle. Of course the tarp is not exposed to sunlight day after day after day. There is no harm in sealing both sides. I’ve never experience (yet) leakage with just the interior seams sealed.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 09-28-2020 at 11:55.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123