Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    This thread just keeps getting better and better.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

I think it’d be a “Tensa3 VX”, technically, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kirin View Post
    Great to see folks' thoughts on this. I hope your version comes out well, joe_guilbeau, and would love to see pictures if you build it.
    My Military Surplus Aluminum Antenna Mast poles are already set-up. So, I put together 8-poles and lashed the (A-Z Stand?) together. All holes were previously drilled to accept the SST Latch Pins.

IMG_1176.JPG

So, dropping a plumb line from the legs lashed together (@ 31-inches from the ground) and measuring to the opposite leg (lashed together at ground level) measures 8-Feet.

IMG_1178.JPG

The Orange ridge-line measures 8-feet, with 49-inches of height at one end, and 51-inches at the other end.

I will edit the post to include a link to how the SST eye-bolts are mounted. For this stand, the eve-bolts would have to be snugged up against the SST fender washer at the end of the tubes.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...6&d=1465570902

With the 8-foot ridge-line, the 8-foot span of the legs, and the 8-foot leg length it is very stable. The ridge-line is off-set with 26-inches to the lashed legs of the stand and
    5-feet 10-inches as the long span to the two poles lashed at the ground.

IMG_1177.JPG

No cordage was used to bind up the system under load. The aluminum poles are certainly not at peril for bending or breaking. No, I have three way to hang with this system. Here, the legs are lashed at 31-inches from the ground.

IMG_1181.JPG

Note the tripod header. I use that, and the 8-foot legs are at 5-feet legs apart from each other on the ground. Those headers are solid steel.

IMG_1184.JPG

Now I have three ways to hang: Tripod Headers, Tripod poles, and the A-Z Stand, What a long, strange, trip its' been.
    Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 03-14-2021 at 04:43.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_guilbeau View Post
    My Military Surplus Aluminum Antenna Mast poles are already set-up. So, I put together 8-poles and lashed the (A-Z Stand?) together. All holes were previously drilled to accept the SST Latch Pins.
    The entire stand i(collapsed on itself) to fit in the picture frame. 18-lbs with the SST Eye-bolt hardware.

IMG_1191.JPG

Pretty Cool! I'd assumed you have to have cords running around all 4 sides of the X side. But if you lash the two poles together strongly so they can't slide, then you almost certainly don't need the cord across the bottom.

I like to have the cords running on either end from the bottom to the top in order to hold the stand so it doesn't scissor closed at all when getting into the hammock. My thinking was that it makes a tarp easier to attach. But like the original Tensa4 / tensahedron, it's not a big problem if the ends do get pulled together a bit until they reach equilibrium with the hang angle. So your reduced complexity could be very advantageous when bad weather isn't a concern. Great work.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kirin View Post
    Pretty Cool! I'd assumed you have to have cords running around all 4 sides of the X side. But if you lash the two poles together strongly so they can't slide, then you almost certainly don't need the cord across the bottom.

I like to have the cords running on either end from the bottom to the top in order to hold the stand so it doesn't scissor closed at all when getting into the hammock. My thinking was that it makes a tarp easier to attach. But like the original Tensa4 / tensahedron, it's not a big problem if the ends do get pulled together a bit until they reach equilibrium with the hang angle. So your reduced complexity could be very advantageous when bad weather isn't a concern. Great work.
    The stress points of the three point tripod are too much, so I have to run the eye-bolts all the way down. After fiddling with things a bit, I went back to the XX-design, and added a third pole segment to each leg. Much added stability. The stand now will slide 90-degrees laterally, so the plastic coated aluminum cable will be added to the four pole segment which engage the ground.

I have an image of my Polyester Taffeta Table cloth hammock. The length of the 3-poled legs are 11-feet 5-inches. The ridge line is fixed at 11-feet 10-inches of placement of the X-crossover of the pipe legs at a point which seems to be OK.

I need some math wizard to work out the optimum configuration for metal fatigue.

[EDIT] Well, after all of the tweaking, I am abandoning this aspect. Will stick with tripods at each end and a 16-foot ridge pole to hang the hammock. My Amok Dramur does not appreciate the configuration. "Rock on my lovelies!" (Wicked Witch of the West intonation).

Let me add a couple of images of moving the legs laterally to adjust the optimum height of the hammock. Adding an adjustable hammock suspension is not possible due to the form factor of the XX. Still it should be possible.
    Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 03-16-2021 at 09:39.

I didn't follow all of the previous post; are you talking about several different types of stands? The steel tripod piece you showed earlier would be for a turtledog style stand, right?

For the VX, you do need at least a few cables. For sure, 2 running across the ground from the bottom points of the X to the bottom of the V to keep the legs from splaying and dropping everything to the ground. And if the lashing of the X crossing point isn't super strong, then you also need a ground cable between the bottom points of the X, again so they don't splay apart. Then you would get a triangle on the ground.

I prefer to also have two ~vertical cables running from the bottoms of the X to the near pole top end. After cinching up the cable across the top, everything stays in place whether loaded or unloaded and the 4 legs are all purely in compression. The reason that's a prime design principle of "tensegrity" is because it's the strongest possible way to use material. But you do need some tensioning cables in there. I use all 6 (which weigh maybe 100 grams total) and get great performance.

The XX design as normally designed has the same thinking. The only big difference is that you have 4 cables on the ground in a box shape to keep all 4 feet in place. That gives a bit more head-to-toe stability than the VX and you can probably get away with slightly lighter/weaker legs since all weight is equally distributed. But either way, you need a number of tension elements to hold everything together nicely.

I enjoy splicing Amsteel dogbones and don't mind the slightly fiddly setup because it's pretty easy after practicing a couple of times. Even the turtledog stands really need cables between the bottoms of the 3 legs in each tripod to keep things in place unless you can jam the legs into the ground for stability.

But this is all potentially a good argument for something like the metal stands which use inverted T shapes as vertical supports at either end with a ridge pole between them. Those need no cables at all if the joints between the ridge pole and the legs are reasonably sturdy. Those aluminum masts would seem to be plenty strong if you have access to some T and elbow couplers that fit.

But adding a couple of cables to the VX you've made should work really well, so I hope you can give it a try...

Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    It is one continuous line with cinch adjuster in the middle. WouldnÂ’t want it another way.
    As far as the XX ridge-line and base strap are concerned, am I correctly interpreting the set-up as thus? I haven't seen an image clearly showcasing the adjuster. The concept seems to beg for a double adjust cinch, but the metal products I find are only single adjust. Without teeth on both sides, the excess looks like it could slip easily.

cinching.jpg

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Drought_Winter View Post
    As far as the XX ridge-line and base strap are concerned, am I correctly interpreting the set-up as thus? I haven't seen an image clearly showcasing the adjuster. The concept seems to beg for a double adjust cinch, but the metal products I find are only single adjust. Without teeth on both sides, the excess looks like it could slip easily.

cinching.jpg
    I used the cinch buckles common in webbing hammock suspensions:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Images
    Here is a lousy 5-minute video of the Military Surplus Aluminum Mast XX stand, which is a work in progress.

Can anyone provide a link for Ann(e) Marie? who creates soft shackles and suspensions from Amsteel?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7x32ybiir8..._1275.MOV?dl=0

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast