banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_guilbeau View Post
    Here is a lousy 5-minute video of the Military Surplus Aluminum Mast XX stand, which is a work in progress.

Can anyone provide a link for Ann(e) Marie? who creates soft shackles and suspensions from Amsteel?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7x32ybiir8..._1275.MOV?dl=0
    You mean Ms. Akers, of https://www.autumnultralight.com ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, thank you for the link and clarification.

Images
    No answer from Ms. Akers, of https://www.autumnultralight.com with Private message and an inquiry on her website contact information.

I need someone to splice Amsteel on to a 2-inch nickle plated stainless steel ring. I will use the ring to attach the two hammocks to the aluminum stand. I cannot even do a bury due to neuropathic damage to my fingers. Hardly any feelings there anymore.

I will have to send the two hammocks to a vendor to have them splice both to rings at each end.

Anyone know somebody in San Antonio, TX who works with Amsteel splicing?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    Hey joe_guilbeau, that looks like a great hammock stand, that is very good work! For those rings you want to add on, just tie a knot. Get some amsteel, thread it through the hammock end channel and your ring. Then tie a simple temporary bow tie knot at whatever continuous loop length you think would be a good starting point, and get your hammock set up. Adjust the lengths to how you want it and then tie a good knot, like a uni to uni. Then rotate the continuous loop to hide the knot in the hammock end channel. I have done a few splices, but they are not always necessary. Also, if you do not like the length, you could untie your knot with a pair of longnose pliers and some patience. I also wanted to mention that you could just larkshead the ring on your current continuous loop, or do a few larksheads to take up some slack. I hope this helps and happy hammocking!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbite View Post
    Hey joe_guilbeau, that looks like a great hammock stand, that is very good work! For those rings you want to add on, just tie a knot. Get some amsteel, thread it through the hammock end channel and your ring. Then tie a simple temporary bow tie knot at whatever continuous loop length you think would be a good starting point, and get your hammock set up. Adjust the lengths to how you want it and then tie a good knot, like a uni to uni. Then rotate the continuous loop to hide the knot in the hammock end channel. I have done a few splices, but they are not always necessary. Also, if you do not like the length, you could untie your knot with a pair of long-nose pliers and some patience. I also wanted to mention that you could just larkshead the ring on your current continuous loop, or do a few larksheads to take up some slack. I hope this helps and happy hammocking!
    You are counry-fried lke me. I Jerry-rigged the set up as is. now it is time to refine. I just need some one else's hands to complete the journey. I find the stand elegant, based on the original XX-Stand implementation. There are 20-sections of the 4-foot Military Surplus Antenna Mast sections so I label each section as A, B, C etc through T.

20-sections and twenty letters. I am christening it the AT-Stand. The top ridge-line is 14-feet for my 4x4-meter tarp. I can pull the door closed at each end. For me, it is time to move from practical to elegance.

My heart is set on the the the Nickle coated SST 4,500 lb breaking strength of the 2-inch rings. I could go soft shackles, but that is not my preference. Taking a 2-inch ring and slapping it in place. Gives me a sense of fulfillment. Makes no sense, yet is so satisfying. Give me a year or so, and the odds and ends will be all sorted out.

One of the reasons for my insistence for this solution is that I can use the rings between trees, or as pre-determined modules for tripod stand setup or this AT-Stand setup, and for hanging between trees.

You should make one, it is easy st spin around and get the view you want, and to get the sun or wind protection at a given moment in time. The freestanding implementation allows for no stakes. Tarp tie-outs are made to the hammock stand itself.
    Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 04-14-2021 at 19:57.

Images
    The finalized mock-up.

IMG_1283.JPG

The tarp ridge line is 14-foot. The base rectangle supporting the hammock stand measures 8-feet x 6.5-feet.

Set-up consists of assembling two triangles on the ground, each triangle may be visualized as a base and the two adjacent sides of the triangle which come together at the vertex/apex of the triangle. Each vertex/apex becomes the ends (head and foot) of the ridge line.

Orient the two triangle as desired for views/weather protection, the lift each vertex/apex to the correct height and secure with the ridge poles.

Align the two triangles to have 6.5-feet between the base line. It is important to have the triangles interlock, and not simply lay one on top of the other.

The height of the vertex/apex of the triangles are a distance of 5-feet 6-inches distance from the ground.

The ridge line height is a distance of 6-feet 10-inches from the ground.

My tarp is a 4x4 meter square tarp, which allows for doors to be closed at each end. Porch modes create quite an expansive roof, with a large area underneath for chairs and tables.

In total, there are 20 aluminum mast sections. Packing consists of 5-sections of 4-poles. Each pole weighs 2.2-lb.

The system weighs a lot, because it is pretty much bullet proof. The aluminum allows for a just detectable give when entering and exiting the hammock/s. Angles of the upper sides of the trangles are easily utilized to pull and hoist oneself to the left or right for symmetrical lays. Head elevated and side sleeping on left or right, or simply grab the left or right aluminum bars to slip more to the center and do a a 90-degree lay at right angle to the longitudinal head/foot orientation. The "X's" where the triangle cross are nice foot rests or massive pillow braces as well.

Lots of options for lounging or sleeping.

I run King Size Wool mattress batting in the lower hammock and Costco down throws for top quilts.

It's palatial.
    Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 04-19-2021 at 02:03.

Raftingtigger's experience arranging Tensa4 this way raised some concerns about reduced capacity/fragility and relatively fussy setup.
    Hello,

Please can you explain why did you get that concerns?
    In my idea (but I don't have your experience), the struts are in compression, in the same way as in a tensa4 setup?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I was just curious-where did you buy the military surplus antenna mast?
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    I was just curious-where did you buy the military surplus antenna mast?
    I picked mine up years ago from a military surplus store. They also get sold as camo-net spreader poles. I've had both aluminum and fiberglass ones over the years.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Images
    @stevebo and LowTech

These scaffolding swivel clamps helped me out quite a bit.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/W/..._AC_SX679_.jpg

Amazon has them:
    https://www.amazon.com/GBGS-Truss-Sw...89&sr=1-1&th=1

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast