Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Look forward to pics. Yes, feels rock solid, and while 10' beams don't fit in anybody's pocket, that's still shorter than most solid TD ridge poles, and the whole thing is fewer linear board feet, pieces, construction and setup/takedown steps.

If your DIY tensahedron poles are on the long side, you might not need to go to Home Depot. Lashed pivot points could work.
    They’re all 8 foot design ,one is wooden 2x2’s so I’ll mess around with that one until I can get some 10 foot 2x4’s
    I had to model one outta some shiskabob sticks
    CBD6951F-34DB-424A-A01C-C9542052BC1F.jpg
    Last edited by West michigan; 04-26-2020 at 21:19.

Any updates on this ?
    Can I use my 8 foot wooden tensahedron I made
    Curios as to where my crossing points would be on 8 foot

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by West michigan View Post
    Any updates on this ?
    Can I use my 8 foot wooden tensahedron I made
    Curios as to where my crossing points would be on 8 foot
    I haven’t forgotten. I went ham on the varnishing after sanding and filling nail/bug holes with putty. Each coat takes forever to dry, and now i have lots of globby drips. Meanwhile Tensa orders have been strong so this project keeps getting shunted to the next non-rainy day.

Unfortunately i think 8’ is just too short for this design unless you’re happy with a really short hammock close to the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief

XX folding hammock stand

12’ hammock. Stable and sturdy enough for kids to climb on.

Epoxy glaze on, gloppy. Have yet to varnish for UV protection, but no splinters for now.

Added extra holes to accommodate asymmetric setup, head end lower than foot. Unfortunately I assembled with inboard members on the head end, so prone to touch with head at reasonable sit height. Will reassemble the right way later.

Real simple. Only hardware is hinges.

Note Z-shaped base lines. The hinges could pinch people if the lines failed. This is poly webbing. May go to steel for long-term UV safety.

Seems like “Manger Stand” may stick as a name. Danger Manger? Covidian Creche?

Just like a Tensa4 stand, this design can adjust to accommodate gathered-end hammocks with hang points high and close, or a bridge/spreader hammock with hang points lower and further apart.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 05-09-2020 at 21:48.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Very well done. I really like the looks of this one particularly tucked into the foliage.

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    ...Note Z-shaped base lines...
    Do each of the three straight sections of the Z need to be a fixed length, or can the Z be one single line that self adjusts through the two intermediate holes in the legs that it passes through?

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    Do each of the three straight sections of the Z need to be a fixed length, or can the Z be one single line that self adjusts through the two intermediate holes in the legs that it passes through?
    It is one continuous line with cinch adjuster in the middle. Wouldn’t want it another way.
    --

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Very nice! I use a turtle dog stand but I love the simplicity of this setup

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    Latherdome, I was just wondering, would it be worth it to reinforce the "X bolt" areas and the hammock attachment points at the tops with plywood running cross-grain so my 2x4's do not split? I was thinking of using 1/2" plywood, though I bet 1/4" would still make a difference. Also, I see you drilled extra holes so the stand can tilt. Could you share what those measurements are and how much it tilts the stand? I am starting to use 12' hammocks more and more and I like the foot end at least 1 foot higher. I do not suppose there is that much adjustment in the suspension with a 12' hammock.
    Thank you for building this! I am going to build 2 for my wife and myself, and I would like to try to get it close to built right the first time (for a change!).

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbite View Post
    Latherdome, I was just wondering, would it be worth it to reinforce the "X bolt" areas and the hammock attachment points at the tops with plywood running cross-grain so my 2x4's do not split? I was thinking of using 1/2" plywood, though I bet 1/4" would still make a difference. Also, I see you drilled extra holes so the stand can tilt. Could you share what those measurements are and how much it tilts the stand? I am starting to use 12' hammocks more and more and I like the foot end at least 1 foot higher. I do not suppose there is that much adjustment in the suspension with a 12' hammock.
    I don't have enough woodworking experience to feel confident, but I haven't been even faintly worried that the holes need reinforcement. This is dense heavy old growth wood. Maybe some of the young-cut stuff at big box hardware stores is weak enough to worry?

I drilled the 3 holes 2" apart with the middle at 37.5". Maxing out the tilt I reckon (eyeball) I have only about 8" height differential at apexes. Suggest going 2.5-3" apart for more.

Correct: 12' is max GE hammock length as I've built it, no suspension to speak of. You could get more span with the holes drilled closer to end, at expense of a narrower base. Does not feel even close to tippy as is, so maybe room to explore this.
    --

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast