Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    What if you just add a section to the Tensa 4 pole, with side holes to attach the 2 poles to form the "X"? You could sell an upgrade kit with four additional sections with holes, 2 of those amsteel/ pin connectors, 3 more straps, some instructions and a bigger bag (assuming some poles are the same, so they will not nest) so everything will fit. If reasonably priced, I would buy the upgrade kit. Personally, I would stake each of the four corners down also, as I currently stake down the two on my Tensa 4 to stop from moving around in the wind (and 1 less variable). If you make this, could you please make an adjustment so the head can hang about a 12" lower than the foot end? That would be helpful! This is a great idea! Thank you for sharing!

This might be better then turtledog which I have in my room
    I also have 3 diy tensahedron stands
    What intrigues me is the stability of this design and the free standing aspect
    Home Depot here I come

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by West michigan View Post
    This might be better then turtledog which I have in my room
    I also have 3 diy tensahedron stands
    What intrigues me is the stability of this design and the free standing aspect
    Home Depot here I come
    Look forward to pics. Yes, feels rock solid, and while 10' beams don't fit in anybody's pocket, that's still shorter than many solid TD ridge poles, and the whole thing is fewer linear board feet, pieces, construction and setup/takedown steps.

If your DIY tensahedron poles are on the long side, you might not need to go to Home Depot. Lashed pivot points could work.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 04-26-2020 at 22:41.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbite View Post
    What if you just add a section to the Tensa 4 pole, with side holes to attach the 2 poles to form the "X"? You could sell an upgrade kit with four additional sections with holes, 2 of those amsteel/ pin connectors, 3 more straps, some instructions and a bigger bag (assuming some poles are the same, so they will not nest) so everything will fit. If reasonably priced, I would buy the upgrade kit. Personally, I would stake each of the four corners down also, as I currently stake down the two on my Tensa 4 to stop from moving around in the wind (and 1 less variable). If you make this, could you please make an adjustment so the head can hang about a 12" lower than the foot end? That would be helpful! This is a great idea! Thank you for sharing!
    Raftingtigger's experience arranging Tensa4 this way raised some concerns about reduced capacity/fragility and relatively fussy setup. That's partly why I was attracted to heavier materials, that are more tolerant of suboptimal adjustment or abuse/accidents.

When this rain lets up, I will drill extra pivot holes to accommodate asymmetric head/foot heights. Could do that with different suspension lengths now, but better to build it in IMO.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

This looks just about perfect for my garage if I can figure out how to get 10’ lumber home.

Any guesses on a weight limit? Also, when you get a chance to set it up again can you take a couple shots of the connection at the two apexes? Thanks!

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief

XX folding hammock stand

Quote Originally Posted by diwhy View Post
    This looks just about perfect for my garage if I can figure out how to get 10’ lumber home.

Any guesses on a weight limit? Also, when you get a chance to set it up again can you take a couple shots of the connection at the two apexes? Thanks!
    better photos to follow after sanding and varnish, and better weather. Rolled webbing ridgeline (sewn loops on ends), push through both holes in wood, secure loops with carabiners (or other toggles?), which optionally become hang points. Cinch buckle adjusts length.

Weight and capacity will vary by wood species, grade. This was old-growth PNW conifer harvested a century ago, close grained and resinous, quite heavy, and I expect it will handle more than any common hammock.

I walked it home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbite View Post
    I played with the idea for some time. Eventually I came up with a configuration I planned on using at the AirBnB during my vacation. I would tell you how it worked there, but the destination got changed from Cabo San Lucas to Cabo San Backyard.

The issues with that set-up.

1. You can't really make the struts longer without decreasing the capacity significantly. Yes, given that I have whatever Tensa4 parts on hand to play with, I did just that. I extended the struts a full center segment. I don't weigh much (140 pounds) and it made me question the strength for anything over 180-200 pounds that way.

2. With struts the normal Tensa4 length I was able to hang with my 11.5 foot and even 12 foot hammock. Ground clearance was, well, not touching the ground at my weight. IIRC there was even room for an UQ. The key was having my feet and head UNDER the struts to get clearance.

3. Because of the low sit height, getting in and out is -- sporty.

4. Since we do not know the weight capacity in this configuration, Tensa Oudoor, is not extending warranty repairs if the stand is used this way. We'll certainly get you replacement parts, but not on our dime.

I can reproduce the setup, with a slight head down tilt, anytime I want. I made non-adjustable amsteel lines to rig it. If asked nicely I'll even unpack them and measure them.

My conclusion is this is a viable option for INDOORS (very low UQ clearance) and small spaces. The AirBnB seemed a perfect place to really test it, Alas.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Lashed pivot points could work.
    Didn't even need to lash my cross points. They aren't pivot points in the Tensa4 mod I did.

Pivot points ARE needed if you want it to fold nicely, or if you want fewer lines than I used.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I like it!
    Unfortunately, most of us don't have a source for clear, old-growth.
    Most of us ARE old growth. Though we may not be very clear.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    I appreciate all the information and this type of stand seems to have a lot of potential! I just wanted to throw some ideas out there. I am looking forward to building one out of 2x4's!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast