Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies

Is there an excel sheet for Tensa style stands?

Has anyone created an Excel sheet for designing a Tensa style DIY stand? I am fascinated and would like to play around with one but don't really want to waste any more materials than necessary.
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Unsure what information you are looking for in an excel sheet, but I made a video on the construction of my DIY version.

◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Yes there is. It is provided here: Review post #49

This provides the analysis equations and how to program Excel. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    @Jeff-Oh Thank you for that, I built the calculator per the post, works well. I wasn't really focused on material strength but since it is there I would really like to understand it. The value in A13, Youngs Modulus, can you elaborate on that? I am doing something wrong in Excel as it places 10000000.0 for the value and I also don't see that value identified that way on the referenced source. Is it also labeled: Modulus of Elasticity
    Last edited by Flatliner; 04-23-2020 at 13:24.
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post
    @Jeff-Oh Thank you for that, I built the calculator per the post, works well. I wasn't really focused on material strength but since it is there I would really like to understand it. The value in A13, Youngs Modulus, can you elaborate on that? I am doing something wrong in Excel as it places 10000000.0 for the value and I also don't see that value identified that way on the referenced source. Is it also labeled: Modulus of Elasticity
    Material strength is a fixed value based on what material you plan on using. Young's Modulus, Modulus of Elasticity, or just Modulus are all different terms for the same thing. The Modulus is conventionally defined by the variable "E" Young's Modulus is a characteristic of the material and describes the materials resistance to deforming under under load. Higher is better. Steel is better than Aluminum or copper. Nickle Alloys are better than steel etc.

In the example that was analyzed for the previous person he was looking at surplus military Aluminum antenna masts. The modulus for most Aluminum alloys is 10,000,000 lbs/in^2 or written as 1E7 in scientific notation. Scientific Notation is just a short hand to simplify very large or small numbers by removing the excess digits. thus 1E7 means 1 with 7 places to get to the ones place. 2E3 = 2000, 3.4E2 = 340 and 5.52E-3 = 0.00552 etc. You can use the Excel Number formatting to display in "Scientific" and it will display as 1E07.

For steel use E= 2.6E7. EMT/Fence Tubing etc.
    This is really not a variable to change or move, but just to look up based on the material you are looking to use. If for some reason you have access to a high carbon strutural steels, or Aircraft grade Aluminum 7075. Then you might get a little benefit in this area, though not for the cost of those materials.

The calculations are also for homogeneous materials (like metals) so things like carbon fiber or fiberglass poles may or may not calculate correctly.

• + New Posts