Dutch Wide Netless
    Tarp
    DF Palace Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Econ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle

Tarp ridgeline coverage extensions

Just wondering if anybody has ever messed around with the idea of having tarp ridgeline extensions that could be rigged up to an existing tarp. Could maybe come in handy for somebody who needs a longer tarp by only a foot or so but doesn't want to buy a whole new tarp?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Just wondering - why would you need a longer tarp? Is the tarp you have too short?

A tarp ridgeline extension sounds like a suboptimal solution.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch Wide Netless
    Tarp
    DF Palace Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Econ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I suppose it would be for somebody on a tight budget with an existing subpar tarp... IDK..

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Permenently sewn on I could see. I think the NUBE has something of the sort. Anything temporarily attached like cam snaps would let water funnel in. It might be a better option to put a couple cam snaps on each side of the tieout point of the ridgeline and snap it closed like a winter tarp with doors would. It closes it up a bit like the minifly or supefly.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    At the risk of sounding dismissive, I can't see the need...
    However, maybe a set of extended Grizz Beaks?
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutch Wide Netless
    Tarp
    DF Palace Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Econ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I dont NEED it, just bored and brainstorming... I found this thread after I posted. Found these images from "mountainm" he made these and pretty much what I was imagining.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...arp-extensions

Also for those of you that require a scenario........ this could be good If you have a 11 ft tarp but wanted to upgrade to a ridgerunner hammock which requires a longer tarp ridgeline for full coverage.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    That's pretty neat. first time I am seeing that. That's a ten minute DIY project.. go for it!
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    questionmike, it’s a little misleading to say you need longer than an 11 ft tarp for full coverage of a Ridge Runner. You need a longer tarp if you want to completely close the doors - that’s all. And some people like the gap at the door top because it allows for air flow and often the support trees block the rain enough that it won’t sneak through.

The Ridge Runner body itself is pretty short. The distance from apex to apex on the suspension is about 12 - 13 ft, but not the hammock body.

The thing to consider is “for what weather?” I absolutely need a tarp on a sunny day because I’ve found looking up from a hammock, that sun can get pretty intense. And Birds fly and drop things. But that Sunny Day tarp doesn’t have to keep me dry in a thunder storm.

I used a Hennessy Hex with the RR for a long time and finally switched to a Superfly with doors to give a lady friend more privacy and warmth. Even then, we got by with an 11 ft’er for several years.

So - what do the kids say these days - IMHO, I’d be more likely to save my money and buy a “real” tarp to handle a specific circumstance (Winter temps, expected storms, etc.) rather than invest in an “add-on”. Paradoxically, even though I’m a belt and suspenders guy (friends are working on my UL sensitivities), I do appreciate “fewer moving parts”. I did have a HH Typhoon and Monsoon that had removable doors. But that’s different from an Add-on to the tarp length.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 04-23-2020 at 14:17.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I only have limited experience with a few of Just Bills bridge hammocks. Not enough to say boo about them.

My current armada of tarps have me covered (see what I did there?) so it's hard to rationalize the need. And, I never wished I had a longer tarp. I had two twelves and got rid of them. I am a fan of getting the right tool for the job, but... I have this cool wrench attachment that turns the wrench into a ratchet. I use it from time to time. Saved me some money and takes up less space. My wrench is now a multi use item.

Kind of like the add-on doors and Grizz Beak I made for my Mamajamba. I rarely used them. Made more sense to carry the lighter Grizz Beak and deploy it when I needed it, than it did to spend the extra dough on a heavier tarp with doors. Then I bought a Superfly (so there goes that argument). Admittedly, add-on doors are way different than adding a foot or two to a tarp. If there is that much of a need for the longer tarp.. buy a longer tarp. Although, using those add-on tarp extensions means you now have an 11', 12' and 13' tarp right?

So I see the benefit if you can have or want only one tarp AND want & need the extra length.. sometimes. Why that would be... I don't know.

Cool idea none-the-less and a super easy DIY project.
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by questionmike View Post
    I dont NEED it, just bored and brainstorming... I found this thread after I posted. Found these images from "mountainm" he made these and pretty much what I was imagining.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...arp-extensions

Also for those of you that require a scenario........ this could be good If you have a 11 ft tarp but wanted to upgrade to a ridgerunner hammock which requires a longer tarp ridgeline for full coverage.
    This is awesome. Thank you for sharing that old thread. This place is a goldmine if you have time to dig.

• + New Posts