Hammock
    bit.ly/2m61xEz
    Tarp
    bit.ly/2mZLRIw
    Insulation
    bit.ly/2pZjkEn
    Suspension
    bit.ly/2LY6heV

Question Like a Tac-Toggle, but smaller diameter?

I thought of using a piece of hardware like a Tac-Toggle to fashion some detachable guy lines for various purposes, like the side pull-outs on my tarp; I have a HammockGear standard tarp with doors.

I could make some detachable guylines from several feet of small-diameter guyline cord cord tied to a Tac-Toggle, which I could easily attach and detach from the tarp by slipping the toggle through the Beastee D-rings on the side panel pull-outs.

(Obviously I could just tie the guylines to the D-rings; this is just an idea for a knot-free method.)

Unfortunately, Tac-Toggles are too chonky to fit through the holes in the smaller D-rings used on the side panel pull-outs. I could use the grosgrain loops that are sewn through the D-rings to attach them to the tarp, but I'd need to remove the D-rings, and that would be permanent, and I don't want to do that.

I'd rather find some other style of toggle that has two holes like a Tac-Toggle, but is svelte enough to slip through the smaller D-ring holes on the panel pull-outs.

Does anyone know of such a thing?
    Last edited by blackmagic; 04-20-2020 at 23:48.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    How about something like these wooden craft toggles? There are dozens of options on Amazon. You could probably find them in your local craft store too if you wanted to judge size with your own eyes.

Have you considered DIY? You can find dowel rods or fiberglass poles at various diameters at your local hardware store. It would be a simple matter to cut sections to the length you want then drill two holes in each. Just a thought ...

I recently came up with something similar but with S-hooks instead of toggles. I modified the S-hooks that came with my dog's vaccination and registration collar tags by closing one end into a loop. I then used a larks head to connect the tie-out to the hook's loop. See this HF thread to get an idea of what the hooks look like. I use this to quickly hook/unhook the tie-outs to my tarp. Similarly, I attached modified S-hooks to the shock cord for my tarp doors to hook to stakes (when closed) or hook to panel pulls (when open). Based on really good feedback I got on this forum, I don't trust the hooks for the CRL or anything that might put a lot of force on them; but they serve me very well as a quick-connect mechanism where I use them.

This S-hook idea might not fit your particular needs. I offer it only to spark other ideas for what might work for you.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    You could also consider using soft shackles. I'm a convert myself. I've fashioned various soft shackles to replace much of my hardware. But personally, I still like the speed and ease of my DIY hooks for my tarp tie-outs and doors. HYOH and all that ... it's just another idea ...
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Would this work? https://dutchwaregear.com/product/aluminum-toggle/

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Blackmagic, I you give me a couple dimensions I can 3d print a few toggles and send them to you. Are the D rings 1/2" diameter holes? What diameter line are you using. I can design it and send you a Jpeg for confirmation prior to printing to get you just what you need. Free. No charge. My hobby. I want to.

A simple Hook could be done as well. PLA plastic is very light and quite durable.

Before any nay sayers pipe in, I printed this small block and tackle and it handles a 6lbs load easily without any signs of breakage. It's just an example of the plastic I use.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Small toggles.. try the Closing Bone. I can see if they fit through the 1/2" Beastie D if you'd like. I use them on the HG Palace doors to close the middle.

Or, a diamond knot tied in the end of the lines you want modular. Turn a bite in the line about six inches from the end you want to secure at the d-ring, pass the bite through the d-ring and then put the diamond knot through the bite and tighten. It will lock down onto the d-ring but be easy to undo.

I take a different approach in an effort to be as versatile as possible. No toggles or diamond knots. All of my guy lines and spare lines have an eye in at least one end. I pass the eye through the corner hardware (I have switched all of the HG tarps to Linelic 5's). Find a small trail stick and double the eye around the stick essentially making a removable toggle. Never me in all the times I have used it like this.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Here's what I do. I make a loop using a figure-8 knot, making sure I leave a long tail, the end of which I at least knot, like you see in the photo, or sometimes I'll put another loop at the end of the tail to make it easier to grab.

You push the loop through your grommet or grosgrain loop, or even around an object, then you put the tail through the loop, and the tension of the line is enough to lock it in.

To release it, you pull on the trail which pulls the loop enough out of the grommet enough that you can pull the tail back out.

I've also done a version of this using a bury instead of a knot

This does have some limitations, it works best when the hole that you put the loop through is only a little bigger than the width of the loop. It will still work on bigger holes, and even around a sapling, but it can be more finicky so a stopper knot on the tail might be a good idea if you do that... but it's finicky enough that I usually use other solutions for that.

Attachment 180487
    Attachment 180488
    Last edited by WalksIn2Trees; 04-21-2020 at 08:40.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Could you sand them down to the diameter desired? Or go to Home Depot and buy a piece of dowel of the right diameter, cut to length and drill the holes for the line. Or even carve the small toggle you need while around your next camp fire? If wood is not the material for you you can also get a poly-carbonate dowel or aluminum (hollow or solid)

Hammock
    bit.ly/2m61xEz
    Tarp
    bit.ly/2mZLRIw
    Insulation
    bit.ly/2pZjkEn
    Suspension
    bit.ly/2LY6heV
    Quote Originally Posted by PopcornFool View Post
    How about something like these wooden craft toggles? There are dozens of options on Amazon. You could probably find them in your local craft store too if you wanted to judge size with your own eyes.

Have you considered DIY? You can find dowel rods or fiberglass poles at various diameters at your local hardware store. It would be a simple matter to cut sections to the length you want then drill two holes in each. Just a thought ...
    Those wooden craft toggles look really nice; I think they are probably too big, though. Specs say the holes are 6mm in diameter, and just eyeballing it, that makes the toggles about 1cm in width.

The fiberglass pole idea is a good one. And I like that it's a bit of DIY. I'll see what the hardware store has.

Hammock
    bit.ly/2m61xEz
    Tarp
    bit.ly/2mZLRIw
    Insulation
    bit.ly/2pZjkEn
    Suspension
    bit.ly/2LY6heV
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    That looks like it would work perfectly, but it's hard to tell because there are no dimensions given, just the weight. I might order a couple just to see.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast