Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic View Post
    I had this idea after spending a night in a windstorm ... So my idea was to have a simple, fast, and secure means of attaching a guyline to a tarp in the middle of the night in a rainstorm without fiddling with knots ... I wouldn't worry that a toggle would be dislodged by the tarp getting knocked around all night, but I'd worry if it was "just" a hook.
    I use shock cord tensioners on my tie-outs. I got the idea from this Shug video. (Scroll to 7:20 into the video.) These keep a slight tension on my hooks and I've never had a problem with them coming off of my tarp pulls, even in pretty stiff winds. To be fair though, I haven't had the opportunity to test in a really major windstorm yet.

In a pinch, if I want more security, I simply form a small loop in the tie-out near the hook, push the loop through the tarp pull, then grab the loop with the hook and pull tight. It takes maybe three seconds. That's a bit slower than simply connecting the hook, but it shouldn't be any slower than threading a toggle. It's more or less the same action.

Come to think of it, you could probably do the same thing with your existing toggles. Instead of trying to thread the large toggle through your small D-rings, try threading a pinched loop of tie-out through instead, then put your toggle in the loop and pull tight. You can make the loop any size you want, so you won' have any problem threading the toggle.
    Last edited by PopcornFool; 04-22-2020 at 23:36.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    I also remembered another alternative I was considering a few months ago. Yama makes these double duty fastline tensioning clips. Instead of threading a toggle, you would simply attach the clip. They're probably more secure than my DIY hooks, but not as strong. Yama even recommends using them at "secondary locations" (and not primary guylines). But that's what you had in mind, correct?

You could accomplish the same quick connect capability with standard mitten hooks like these from Dutch or small spring (keychain) carabiners like these on Amazon, though you wouldn't have the built-in tensioning feature.

Again, just other ideas that might spark more ...
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Those fastline tensioning clips look good.

Although I don't use a lot of hardware and shock cord, I relent when it comes to mitten hooks and bungees for tarp doors. I 've looked at many options and haven't found a better solution. I even use some mini-whoopies made of Zing-it to provide a bit more adjustability to length. Also, I've cut the little "gate" bits off the hooks so they're even easier to engage and remove. The bungees keep them tensioned and they've never come off due to wind.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    bit.ly/2m61xEz
    Tarp
    bit.ly/2mZLRIw
    Insulation
    bit.ly/2pZjkEn
    Suspension
    bit.ly/2LY6heV
    Dutch aluminum toggle works flawlessly.

toggle.jpg

toggle-attached.jpg

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic View Post
    Dutch aluminum toggle works flawlessly.

toggle.jpg

toggle-attached.jpg
    Sweet...

If it helps, there are a few ways you can make those adjustable. I realize you might have your adjustments at the stake end, but it's always nice to make adjustments from under the tarp. Just a thought.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Glad those worked out for you. That seems like a very fast way to attach a line. I agree, though, that it is VERY handy at times to be able to adjust tie-outs from under the tarp. I have been out in more than a few surprise storms that required immediate adjustment of lines and would have soaked me if I had to adjust from outside.

I leave all my mason line tie- outs attached to the tarp, bound up in the way I was taught by Peter Pan (one of the original Jack's) so they instantly deploy without tangling. Adjustment is with a glow-in-the-dark Line-loc positioned at the tarp. Very light, quick, and easy to set up, adjust, and take down.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123