bit.ly/2m61xEz
    Tarp
    bit.ly/2mZLRIw
    Insulation
    bit.ly/2pZjkEn
    Suspension
    bit.ly/2LY6heV
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Could you sand them down to the diameter desired? Or go to Home Depot and buy a piece of dowel of the right diameter, cut to length and drill the holes for the line. Or even carve the small toggle you need while around your next camp fire? If wood is not the material for you you can also get a poly-carbonate dowel or aluminum (hollow or solid)
    PopcornFool suggested cutting down a dowel as well, and I will try that, once the stores around here open up again.

I hadn't considered trying to carve my own, but it is an interesting idea. I like the DIY aspect of it. I know nothing about woodcarving.

Hammock
    bit.ly/2m61xEz
    Tarp
    bit.ly/2mZLRIw
    Insulation
    bit.ly/2pZjkEn
    Suspension
    bit.ly/2LY6heV
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Small toggles.. try the Closing Bone. I can see if they fit through the 1/2" Beastie D if you'd like. I use them on the HG Palace doors to close the middle.
    Those would surely work, but I really like the two-hole design of the toggle, so I can tie the toggle directly to the end of the guyline and not have to go around the outside of the toggle with cord.

Hammock
    bit.ly/2m61xEz
    Tarp
    bit.ly/2mZLRIw
    Insulation
    bit.ly/2pZjkEn
    Suspension
    bit.ly/2LY6heV
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ35S View Post
    Blackmagic, I you give me a couple dimensions I can 3d print a few toggles and send them to you. Are the D rings 1/2" diameter holes? What diameter line are you using. I can design it and send you a Jpeg for confirmation prior to printing to get you just what you need. Free. No charge. My hobby. I want to.
    That's very generous, thank you :-)

Let me try out the aluminum toggles that Dutch sells, that bonsaihiker suggested; if those don't work, I may take you up on your offer. I think they are the 1/2" diameter D-rings, but I will certainly measure.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I took a few minutes to give this a try. You're asking a lot on this scale. Here is what I designed and the size it printed at with a nickle, dime, and 1/2" Beatsie D.

I can make it longer but not really thinner. As it is with 2.2mm Zing-it line the toggle AND line will not fit through the hole in the D ring. I thik the only option is putting a groove down the side of the toggle but again I think it would weaken it to much. Give me some ideas and I'll try again. Is there a reason a toggle rather than a hook? It would be easy to make a hook thick enough to take up the hole in the beastie D and have a good end for the cordage. Could incorporate a cinch of some sort maybe?

20200421_133002.jpg20200421_132846.jpg

Yeah. I think those aluminum ones are perfect actually.
    Last edited by XJ35S; 04-21-2020 at 13:03. Reason: add info

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic View Post
    That looks like it would work perfectly, but it's hard to tell because there are no dimensions given, just the weight. I might order a couple just to see.
    Give me a few minutes.. I'll measure one for you. I have a few of those
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    A simple Hook could be done as well. PLA plastic is very light and quite durable.

Before any nay sayers pipe in, I printed this small block and tackle and it handles a 6lbs load easily without any signs of breakage. It's just an example of the plastic I use.
    First off, that block and tackle looks fun. I'll be searching that one out on Thingiverse later to print after my roommate is done printing stuff for some nurses and first responders. Thanks for the idea, and cool of you to offer help.

Second, I concur with PLA being fine for this application. It's even UV resistant, making better than most plastics for outdoor use without some kind of protective applied.
    Oooh, shiney! What does THIS button do?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Here you go...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    bit.ly/2m61xEz
    Tarp
    bit.ly/2mZLRIw
    Insulation
    bit.ly/2pZjkEn
    Suspension
    bit.ly/2LY6heV
    I took a few minutes to give this a try. You're asking a lot on this scale. Here is what I designed and the size it printed at with a nickle, dime, and 1/2" Beatsie D.

I can make it longer but not really thinner. As it is with 2.2mm Zing-it line the toggle AND line will not fit through the hole in the D ring. I thik the only option is putting a groove down the side of the toggle but again I think it would weaken it to much. Give me some ideas and I'll try again. Is there a reason a toggle rather than a hook? It would be easy to make a hook thick enough to take up the hole in the beastie D and have a good end for the cordage. Could incorporate a cinch of some sort maybe?

20200421_133002.jpg20200421_132846.jpg

Yeah. I think those aluminum ones are perfect actually.

Wow, that was fast!

I had this idea after spending a night in a windstorm, with wind strong enough to push the tarp into my hammock and knock me around all night, no matter how wide and tight I had the tarp pitched. Had it been a rainstorm and not just wind, it would have been worse, since I would have been forced to use a close pitch and I would have been knocked around even more.

So my idea was to have a simple, fast, and secure means of attaching a guyline to a tarp in the middle of the night in a rainstorm without fiddling with knots. Obviously not an original idea, but at least I arrived at the same conclusion on my own?

I wouldn't worry that a toggle would be dislodged by the tarp getting knocked around all night, but I'd worry if it was "just" a hook.

Hammock
    bit.ly/2m61xEz
    Tarp
    bit.ly/2mZLRIw
    Insulation
    bit.ly/2pZjkEn
    Suspension
    bit.ly/2LY6heV
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Here you go...
    Oh fantastic, yeah those will definitely fit. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic View Post
    I could make some detachable guylines from several feet of small-diameter guyline cord cord tied to a Tac-Toggle, which I could easily attach and detach from the tarp by slipping the toggle through the Beastee D-rings on the side panel pull-outs.
    I like that idea! For some reason I like removing the guylines and coiling them up to put back into the little stuff sack with the stakes and I do not leave them attached to the tarp. Typically I larkshead one end to the tarp and then use a tensioner at the other. Using a toggle will be much quicker. I may have a wooden dowel in my odds and ends that I can cut up and drill a hole into for the toggles.

Again, thank you for the idea.

- Clyde

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast