Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suspension Idea

Lightbulb Suspension Idea

Hey Everyone,

I'm super new to hammock camping, with only 1 setup and 2 nights of hanging so far with my new hennessy hammock. I didn't mind tying the lash knot the way hennessy recommends, but since I'm still learning I had to untie and retie the whole thing a few times for tweaking. I started looking into the vast array of suspension options but didn't really want to buy anything right away as I'm still learning and it seems like the hardware can add up quickly.

Anywho, I started brainstorming what I could accomplish with the 2 carabiners I already had and some knots and came up with the following system:

hennessy tree strap looped through itself on the sewn ends > marlin spike hitch with carabiner instead of toggle (I looked through one of the very long threads on here and found the correct way to tie this) >
    taut line hitch tied from stock suspension rope which is hooked into the carabiner as well

IMG_20200420_143633[1].jpg

This should give me a wide range of adjustability on both sections.

I'm hoping to test this under load this weekend, but does anyone see any potential issues I might run into with this setup?

Thanks!

Images
    !!! WARNING - UNSAFE !!!

It's okay to use a caribiner as a toggle. Its NOT okay to load the caribiner itself. This will pull apart when you sit in it. (If you use a marlinspike technique, always load the knot, not the toggle!)

The tautline hitch is likely to work loose. It isnt a good load bearing knot. If the purpose of this is to create an eye to clip into, use a standard bowline or any other fixed-eye knot.

DO THIS INSTEAD:

Make a fixed eye in the rope very near the hammock (8" is fine) to tie the strap into. Skip the caribiner entirely. Instead, use any of the common hammock strap knots (search forum for instructions on each):

- Becket Hitch
    - J-Bend
    - X-Bend
    - Lapp Hitch

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    !!! WARNING - UNSAFE !!!

It's okay to use a caribiner as a toggle. Its NOT okay to load the caribiner itself. This will pull apart when you sit in it. (If you use a marlinspike technique, always load the knot, not the toggle!)

The tautline hitch is likely to work loose. It isnt a good load bearing knot. If the purpose of this is to create an eye to clip into, use a standard bowline or any other fixed-eye knot.

DO THIS INSTEAD:

Make a fixed eye in the rope very near the hammock (8" is fine) to tie the strap into. Skip the caribiner entirely. Instead, use any of the common hammock strap knots (search forum for instructions on each):

- Becket Hitch
    - J-Bend
    - X-Bend
    - Lapp Hitch

21kn carabiner ..... I think he's safe.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I personally don't see a problem with using a beaner as long as it's climbing rated. Should work good until research/trial & error you settle on what works for you. Used similar set up when I first started @ 280LB & no issues. Just don't do no shock loads when hopping in.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    My only concern would be the taught line hitches slipping when you get in. prob. not catastrophic, but you may not have the nice comfy hang you thought you had.

Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    !!! WARNING - UNSAFE !!!

DO THIS INSTEAD:

- Becket Hitch
    - J-Bend
    - X-Bend
    - Lapp Hitch
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I suspect you guys are right about the taut line hitch slipping under load. I'd already tied some stopper knots so if it does slip it shouldn't be to far (hopefully).

Leiavoia - this definitely seems like a more elegant solution that what I had planned. I've watched a few videos and downloaded some instructions for the bowline and becket hitch to test out as well. I'm really just after something that seems as conveniently adjustable as whoopie slings and spider straps without having to actually buy them lol.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post

21kn carabiner ..... I think he's safe.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Biner is fine, but not when its used as a marlinspike toggle. It's going to pull the knot apart.

Am i seeing picture wrong?

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    I am not sure how it would pull the knot apart. In the marlin spike, the line comes from the tree, goes up and over the toggle and then the loop tightens on the back side of the toggle. Using a Biner as the toggle is fine. The mantra to hang from the knot and not the toggle, is because traditional toggles have little bending strength and will break.

Capture.PNG Here is the know shown loosely
    Capture.jpg Here is a Marlin Spike rope Ladder --- no issue putting weight on the loop of the knot.
    Last edited by jeff-oh; 04-20-2020 at 18:05.

Images
    I was wondering if i'm just losing it today or what. I double checked and i'm only half stupid ;-)

If tied correctly (the way my muscle memory tells me), should be okay.

However, when one end is free (unlike the ladder example), the knot can pull out if it is tied "backwards".

Either way, i would still ditch the caribiner and just tie off to a loop. Adjustability is overrated.

Yep, from what I read if you feed through the free end of the strap to make the msh it will slip putting weight on the carabiner. Feeding through the non working end appears to be stable though

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast