Hammock
    HH Asym
    Tarp
    OneTrigris 10x10
    Suspension
    alpine hitch knots

Question Hello, Canadian nurse looking for guidance.

Hi everybody, my name is Sebastien and I am a relatively new nurse working in Ontario. Due to COVID-19 and the potential dangers from becoming infectious to my family I live with, I have decided to essentially live outside of the house to keep everyone inside safe. I have decided to use a hammock, because I do not have any suitable ground for tents. I am new to this so I am looking forward to learning more, however I come here asking for help. I was introduced to this site from the godfather of hammocks, Shug and his lovely videos. I am writing to inquire about bottom insulation, I have looked far and wide for top-quilts within Canada, but there does not seem to be as many vendors in Canada. The nights are still quite cold here in Ontario, and being a new nurse I cannot afford the quilts put out by some Canadian vendors. Little Shop of Hammocks looks absolutely top-tier and I love the attitude from the fellow running the show. I have also seen some stuff from Hofman Outdoor Gear Supply.

Anyways, I need to remain outside to keep my family safe, but I have been pretty cold these few nights. I think I would much prefer underquilts/topquilts over pads and sleeping bags. Are there any fellow Canadians on here that might be able to offer some advice to help me stay a bit more warmer throughout the nights? I plan to use all of this hammock set-up to embark on some backwoods camping as well once this is over.

My current set up is a hennesey hammock asym, a 10x10 Onetigris tarp via amazon, a cheapo Canadian tire sleeping bag and a generic blanket underneath me. I have been using many of Shug's fantastic videos to guide me, but this is a very expensive hobby from what I can tell. I hope this is an okay first post to make, and I am looking forward to learning from all of you

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    A couple of things to keep in mind. You are not backpacking, car camping etc. Thus, traditional camping gear and certainly ultra-light gear is NOT required. Standard blankets etc. can meet your needs. As your immediate requirements are Cost, and Time (I assume you want to implement tonight if possible.) I would use what you have.

There is nothing magical about top quilts. They are just sleeping bags that have been un-zipped and laid over the top of you, like a quilt. TQ remove the zipper and skinny down a bit from a traditional sleeping bag to save weight for the backpacker. Again this is not a driving criteria for you right now. So your current sleeping bag and house blankets should work for you just fine for now.

For bottom insulation there are several options, line the hammock like you are doing with a blanket or a ground pad if you have one, If you have another sleeping bag you can always rig that up as an underquilt using safety pins, and paracord.

I would not rush into buying light weight camping gear until you really decide what style camping/backwoods camping you will eventually want to do and have the funds to get what you want instead of a rush decision.

Use what you have, modify, adapt etc. Ask around your friends and family perhaps they have gear they can let you use.

Thank you for your commitment and sacrifice you are making to keep your family safe.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Welcome. Hennessy has a 4 season 'SuperShelter' that several of us use with good success (Hennessy's site under insulation). Fits like a glove and by adding a lightweight quilt I have been comfortable at 15F (-17C). Lots of reviews and videos.
    I still use a mummy sleeping bag with temps get below about 45F(7C) then throws/blankets can easily be made into TQs by sewing (Or KamSnaps) a footbox.
    Hennessy has 25% off by using code 'FRIENDS&FAM'
    Last edited by oldpappy; 04-19-2020 at 11:38.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebbysu View Post
    Hi everybody, my name is Sebastien and I am a relatively new nurse working in Ontario. Due to COVID-19 and the potential dangers from becoming infectious to my family I live with, I have decided to essentially live outside of the house to keep everyone inside safe. I have decided to use a hammock, because I do not have any suitable ground for tents. I am new to this so I am looking forward to learning more, however I come here asking for help. I was introduced to this site from the godfather of hammocks, Shug and his lovely videos. I am writing to inquire about bottom insulation, I have looked far and wide for top-quilts within Canada, but there does not seem to be as many vendors in Canada. The nights are still quite cold here in Ontario, and being a new nurse I cannot afford the quilts put out by some Canadian vendors. Little Shop of Hammocks looks absolutely top-tier and I love the attitude from the fellow running the show. I have also seen some stuff from Hofman Outdoor Gear Supply.

Anyways, I need to remain outside to keep my family safe, but I have been pretty cold these few nights. I think I would much prefer underquilts/topquilts over pads and sleeping bags. Are there any fellow Canadians on here that might be able to offer some advice to help me stay a bit more warmer throughout the nights? I plan to use all of this hammock set-up to embark on some backwoods camping as well once this is over.

My current set up is a hennesey hammock asym, a 10x10 Onetigris tarp via amazon, a cheapo Canadian tire sleeping bag and a generic blanket underneath me. I have been using many of Shug's fantastic videos to guide me, but this is a very expensive hobby from what I can tell. I hope this is an okay first post to make, and I am looking forward to learning from all of you
    Thanks for the nice words.
    You could use your sleeping bag in top quilt mode for now.
    Also look into synthetic uqs as they cost a bit less.
    Or an Econo model partial UQ https://hammockgear.com/economy-phoenix-custom/
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Send me an email at [email protected]
    James

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior Edge
    Tarp
    DIY Xyl
    Suspension
    Cinch / webbing
    Welcome, and thank you. My wife works at a retirement home and it adds a level of stress for sure. James at littleshopofhammocks won't steer you wrong.
    Niagara

Senior Member StrungUpNewfoundlander's Avatar
    Hammock
    LSOH Warrior XL
    Tarp
    LSOH FireFly
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster
    Suspension
    Whoopie Dutch Bits
    Images
    Little Shop of Hammocks. Canadian, great gear, great fella.
    Best Kind

• + New Posts