Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps

Garden Hang

Hi

just introduced myself yesterday and somebody asked for pic of my set up in the garden, so here goes gives you an idea of scaffold pole set up, it has a ratchet strap to help support the upright pole,i bent it once by hanging a 4ft scaffold pole tee piece across the top and fixed suspension to that stainless eye, it bent it very easily with extra loading

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hangerdave; 04-17-2020 at 11:53.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Dave - I’d keep a CLOSE EYE on that I-bolt in the brick. Various products are used depending upon the assumed forces. For example, the materials in a brick wall - the brick itself and the masonry - are designed for a compression force - a PUSH down force. But you are exerting a PULL force, relying in the strength of the masonry and the brick’s ability to hold an I-bolt with about force of about 200 lbs pulling outward.

There are numerous YouTube videos showing hammocks hung from cinderblock masonry coming down as the masonry gave out.

So I’d watch that very carefully if I were you.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    Hi

Thanks for that, i did think about shear force on a vertical pull as against that angled pull on suspension rig, I already had a test of what sort of pressures are exerted because of bent scaffold pole , I drilled a hole and put a 12mm diameter stainless loading eye bolt with a large metal square plate on the inside with lock nuts on, if the brick falls out I am in trouble though as you can imagine, but thanks for pointing it out much appreciated for heads up

Dave

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Dave, Thank you for understanding my concern. Here’s a tread to review:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Concrete-Block

I’m guessing the metal plate spreads the force among several bricks but that could be a feature or a bug.

I’m certainly not an engineer - it’s just if the pull forces can bend the pole, and the pole is now secure, I wonder what’s happening at the other end.

All that concern said, your garden/outside site looks great. Warm nights and clear skies should be wonderful.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    it has been really good especially now as we cannot get out ,I just read that link and thank you for pointing it out I will prob rethink things, that is a garage so can work out how to the offset load on multiple points on the wall and the garage roof trusses before spending another night in it again, but hopefully we can get this virus sorted out which we will do eventually, and we can all go back hanging in the woods again cheers
    Last edited by hangerdave; 04-17-2020 at 15:19.

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Air
    Tarp
    In the market...
    Insulation
    Air Pad + Mummy
    Suspension
    Becket to straps
    Cool pictures, Dave. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    your very welcome, just have to think up ideas now and again to make use of time when you cannot get out

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    Morning (for me)

I have been playing again, i sunk another 3m high scaffold pole in a sleeve 600mm down backfilled with ballast concrete mix 6 to 1 on the opposite end to original post, inside garage where eye bolt comes through wall I installed a metal boxed section 500mm long to extend up to roof plate as well to help the loads, I have a engineered brick garage and eye bolt is very near corner of both side and back wall, i then used a ratchet strap to attach to post from eye to help compression load when posts want to lean in after I jump in hammock, both posts are ratchet strapped back on each ends,i may or may not put a ridge beam on it, will see how it goes because the idea of a metal pole falling on my head during the night does not appeal( aka widow maker) I have yet to hang on it yet still waiting for concrete to set off, but have high hopes I have cracked it anyway couple of pics if anybody interested, i do have to move suspension eyes further down posts, my hang was much to much and Ridgeline was slack, 17ft gap now instead of 21ft before

Dave

20200424_071810 copy.jpg20200424_071744 copy.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hangerdave; 04-24-2020 at 06:44.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I'm interested in the longevity of the sleeve and pole..

I have a 6x6 (cleverly concealed with a bird house on it) and a nice double cherry tree as my hang points. They work great, but I would like to move to a different spot in the yard and use removable posts..
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    The 3m galvanised scaffold poles work great for me(I remove them and store away when not in use) there is some compression lean on them when sitting in hammock(but I think i have sorted that out with my ratchet straps) but you could easily guy rope out if you had enough room behind the posts, I did notice another thread someone put a sleeve in the ground with 6x6 posts that you could remove which was a good idea,
    Dave

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast