Asym Hammocks - anything special?

Hi guys, been wondering; Hennessy make a big deal out of their "asym" hammocks, and that they're made for lying on the diagonal. But is this unique to Hennessy or is this the way all the manufacturers do it now?

What about DD hammocks, ticket to the moon and the like?

TLDR; is Hennessy worth choosing because of the "asym" aspect?

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    It is pretty much done by ALL the cottage vendors

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

But it doesn't seem like they advertise it the same way? Should be in the specs at least. Anyway if the hammock is large enough one can lay in the hammock diagonally regardless of it being an asym or not, right?

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by nordmarka View Post
    But it doesn't seem like they advertise it the same way? Should be in the specs at least. Anyway if the hammock is large enough one can lay in the hammock diagonally regardless of it being an asym or not, right?
    Actually most do advertise it, if you look at cottage vendors. Dutch, Trailheadz, Walhalla, Outdoorsman outfitters to name a few. They offer symmetrical or asymmetrical.

The difference is that in an asym hammock, you have to know which way you like to lay, head left or head right. In a symmetrical hammock, you can lay any way you want.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    The idea behind asymmetrical hammocks is that they should save some weight with the reduction of bug net material. The hammock body is still a large rectangle- just like a symmetrical hammock. The only difference is the cut of the bug net. Some folks feel like they can lay slightly more diagonal in an asym hammock; but I have both asym and symmetrical and get just as comfortable in both.

The issue with Hennessy is that their hammocks are generally on the heavier side as compared to most cottage vendor offerings. So you're not really benefiting from any weight savings with their asym hammocks. For example, the Hennessy Ultralight Zip is listed at 36oz for an 11' long x 59" wide hammock. By contrast, my Dream Hammock Darien is 11' x 64" and weighs only 13.5oz.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    "Asym" means that the net is cut like a parallelogram to provide space for one lay direction (either head left / feet right or head right / feet left). The hammock body itself is just a rectangular piece of fabric. Hence a netless hammock like the Ticket to the Moon is not asym. There is no net that is going to prevent you from lying in any direction.

DD hammocks are symmetrical: their net is the same size and shape like the hammock body (rectangular). They are essentially a double layer hammock with the upper layer being made of netting. That's why hanging the net over a ridgeline doesn't work (very well). It's better to tie it out separately.

Another way of making a netted hammock symmetrical is by cutting the net hexagonal. This way, the ridgeline is still holding it up without too much slack, and you can still lie in both directions. However, to avoid floppy netting, manufacturers usually cut it a bit tighter, so that the hammock sides are pulled up a bit. This means that you cannot lie as flat or that there is at least some pressure.

When you see a netted hammock from the side, where the net has a triangular shape, it's an asymmetrical hammock. Some manufacturers like Dutch offer both styles.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Some of the Hennessy are true asym

If you unwhip them, they're not a rectangle of fabric, but a parallelogram shape

I think it made a bigger deal with older fabrics that had a real grain or bias to them

With most modern fabrics being square or diamond ripstop, I think there is much less difference

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have never heard that. Did Hennessy write about it anywhere?

I read the long DIY thread started by the Hammeck owner back in 2014, but I have never heard any commercial manufacturer doing something like this. Depending on the angles, cutting parallelogram shapes out of a roll of fabric is costly and wastes fabric. I experimented a bit with it, but stopped because of the massive waste when you want to change the lay noticeably.

Thanks for your replies. From what I gather, many hammocks get their "asym" from the bugnets. The HH however, may have a paralellogram body as well.
    But you still lay diagonally, whether in an asym hammock og symmetrical hammock.

You WANT to hang diagonally! That's the key to getting flatter lay.

• + New Posts