Hammock
    Little Shop of Hamocks Warrior
    Tarp
    Dutch Rectlangle
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 10°
    Suspension
    Kevlar Tree Straps

Post Greetings from the great Canadian north!

Thanks for checking out my introduction post. It seemed about time that I stop lurking in the depths and introduce myself. Firstly, I want to thank the moderators and members for the wealth of information that is HammockForums. There is no better resource that I have found for researching gear and hanging styles. I've been from one corner of Canada to the other hanging in a hammock, and am sheepishly proud to admit that I have even taken the kit to the ground in the absence of trees. My kit is an amalgamation from different cottage vendors and DIY gear, each piece gives me comfort and reassurance while I traipse through the woods. Knowing that the Warrior from Little Shop of Hammocks keeps me off the ground and away from the bugs. When it gets cold, HammockGear insulation will keep me warm. If it rains, Dutch's Ultralight Tarp will keep me dry. All of this supported and suspended by Dutch and his Amsteel. My adventures would not be the same without being able to rely on my gear. Most people say that gear is secondary to hiking and camping, that getting out there and taking those steps is what is most important. That is true, but those adventures are aided and supported by quality gear.
    Everyone started somewhere, and had to scratch that camping itch. I started in the back woods of British Columbia, young, reckless, and full of pride. Mother nature reigned me back in quickly enough, nothing like a torrential downpour and hungry bear to make you rethink your pride and abilities. I learned many of my hiking and camping lessons the hard way. I don't recommend it by the way, it would have been much more enjoyable to read a book or practice in the backyard.
    After my first few disastrous attempts, I decided that I would be a traditionalist. A cotton canvas rucksack, wool blanket and canvas tarp. That gear held my interest for years, sure it was heavy, but even a novice like me couldn't wreck it. Once I became more proficient, I went out on a overnight canoeing trip with some friends. One of them was a scout master and commented on my gear. I was proud of my kit and defended it fiercely... Until we had a 2 mile portage. My 40lb pack weight was manageable on its own, but when you share a 100lb canoe on your shoulders, their 20lb bags sure start to look good. That led me down the rabbit hole of ultralight gear. Sil-nylon, titanium, carbon fiber... the scale was out and my wallet suffered.
    As awesome as ultralight gear is, there is a drawback. Durability. It was fine if I ripped my $20 tarp, I'd just buy a new one. Nothing ruffles your feathers more than ripping a $700 cuben fiber tent, because you didn't notice that rock. I figured I'd fix those pesky rocks, and began to research hammocks. This time trial and error would take a back seat to research, or so I thought. Keys and knives don't belong in hammocks, that was a lesson I learned, luckily in the back yard. You don't need titanium for hanging a hammock is another. A quick shout out to Shug in Sector 7 and the Marlin Spike Hitch. On the knot... *Not* on the toggle, wish I watched your video before attempting a marlin spike hitch. It is my go to and remains as the lightest and simplest suspension method I have found.
    So here we are at the current juncture, I'm spilling my guts out to anyone who takes a moment to read my introduction. I will continue to lurk about in the depths of the HammockForums site, but will surface from time to time and interact with my fellow hangers.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    DIY TQ / JRB UQ
    Images
    Great first post, welcome from slightly South of you in the Central Coast BC! Here’s to a good hiking summer
    Cheers

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Air
    Tarp
    In the market...
    Insulation
    Air Pad + Mummy
    Suspension
    Becket to straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    Great first post, welcome from slightly South of you in the Central Coast BC! Here’s to a good hiking summer
    Cheers
    Agreed, great first post. Greetings from Spokanada, Washington, USA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    Canada my favorite place to hang.
    I see you have gone to ground and I came close to that. I found that the farther north you go the smaller the trees get. On a trip that took us about mid-way between Canadas north and south border I found the trees were small and required some new techniques. I learn to run guy lines from my support tree to additional trees. Sometimes placing my pack under the middle of the hammock to give a little lift in the middle.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Hello and welcome to HF!
    Oooh, shiney! What does THIS button do?

Senior Member StrungUpNewfoundlander's Avatar
    Hammock
    LSOH Warrior XL
    Tarp
    LSOH FireFly
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster
    Suspension