Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

Did we find the end of the Internet?

It could just be me, be in this time of quarantine I would have expected a lot of hammock forums action. But even before that, the past 6 months to a year I feel like things have died off. Did we finally talk about all there is to talk about?

It seems like a private chat room with me and 5 other people lately. And even me...I've stopped posting 823 times per day.

Again, it could totally just be me.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Definite less traffic for awhile. Less"newness" so things slow. Still some ideas to be found though.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I still peruse here daily. May not comment as much these days unless there is something to add.
    Don't find myself needing to ask much. Also don't post all my videos on here anymore as it seems members don't watch or comment like the old days.
    Been here long enough to see HF go though a lot of changes. Members come and go. We still have a few that stay and contribute. Some leave and come back.
    Then leave again.
    Only so much to hammocks I suppose.

I too am not a FBer. Value what bit of real time that I have left!
    Shug
    Last edited by Shug; 04-12-2020 at 12:40.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

I totally agree with OC. I've been spending some time on a bushcraft forum, with a little more lenient rules on what's allowed to be discussed and have enjoyed the interaction. One thing I do notice is more "new" threads on HF asking about things that have been discussed previously. Usually it's just newer members so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I can't tell you how many times I'll see a thread asking this and that, then do a Google search of the topic and add hammock forums to it. Gee, it's amazing how much info will come back....ok, enough of my rant for the day.

I think hammocking knowledge has pretty much peaked. Yes, there will still be some new advancements or variations but a gathered end hammock is still a gathered end hammock and a prussick knot is still a prussick knot. If anything, things will just get more refined and there will still be advancements in fabrics, etc.

Either way, it is what is is. Wishing everyone a Happy Easter and a speedy return to whatever the new "normal" will be. Stay safe!!

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    For one the Facebook site seams to be more accommodating to new people that have hammocks from vendors that are not on the Unofficially approved list. Seams around here if you do not have a Warbonnet, Dutch, JRB, DH, etc there is less respect from some members.

Bulletin board sites are also becoming less popular in general due to being harder to post links and photos etc. Though I do like it still as it requires more thought and effort than a facebook/instagram, thus, comments usually are more meaningful and interesting.

I would like the ability to "like" a post to show acknowledgement of someones effort. i.e. oneclick, I think it was you who recognized the Battle of Midway reference in the LiteAF thread last week. I wanted to thank the person for knowing that obscure reference but it was not worth a full post. A simple "like" would suffice.

Also seems that the Hammock craze has petered out. As the market peeked a flood of new vendors came in making basically the same thing. Also, the economy of scale large vendors have flooded the market. And really how many hammocks does one person really need? (wait don't answer that, this is the wrong crowd to ask)

I get a lot of grief from some members for my super-inexpensive 118" to 126" amazon hammocks. But when you got them for $2.99 and the Tarp for $4.32 it is extremely hard to pay $180+ for each. They have held up just fine and are comfortable to sleep in. However, these extreme discount deals are no more. Amazon/Aliexpress hammocks are now in the $30-$40 range. ENO is still way over priced for what it is. And, guys like Dutch have introduced products to compete in this price range market. I like my 11' Dutch Hexon 1.7, but it is not holding up as well and has more calf ridge issues than the 210T nylon $2.99 hammock. Though I am considering one of the new 12 footers.

Also, with the stay at home orders across the world, the hang planning threads have died off. Personally I think it is rather socially irresponsible to hold group hangs with pot luck dinners currently, but you cannot say that. I wonder about HF.net's culpability in continuing to allow group gathering to be planned here in the current environment. Other group planning sites have taken an active stand supporting social distancing. But, that is not my call to make. I can just ponder it.

Also, with so many camping opportunities on hold right now we are not out using our equipment/ improving it/ breaking it/ changing it/ etc. to provide those momentary discussions that only last a few days.

A few of my HF musings for all to ponder, be amused by, disagree with, or whatever.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    I've been spending some time on a bushcraft forum, with a little more lenient rules on what's allowed to be discussed ... One thing I do notice is more "new" threads on HF asking about things that have been discussed previously. ... I can't tell you how many times I'll see a thread asking this and that, then do a Google search... it's amazing how much info will come back....ok, enough of my rant for the day.
    I cannot agree more. The strictly Hammock only stance does limit the interactions. I too am amazed at some questions people ask. for instance one person on FB asked the distance from a local park's parking lot to the river. 2 seconds on google maps showed it to be 200 ft.

Jeff-oh:. "like" your post. I see that on other forums and it's a nice feature to see who's of the same mindset as you.

Personally, I'm a Facebook holdout and proud of it...

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    I would like the ability to "like" a post to show acknowledgement of someones effort. i.e. oneclick, I think it was you who recognized the Battle of Midway reference in the LiteAF thread last week. I wanted to thank the person for knowing that obscure reference but it was not worth a full post. A simple "like" would suffice.
    Agree with above. More often than not, I lack one original thought on hammocking, but would like to show appreciation to the posters discussing various techniques in this forum (e.g. Nylofume®, Evo Loops, Lapp Hitch, trip reports, Shug videos, & a ton of other things). Last month, I found out there is a usable high water route on the OHT through a posted video. Wonderful All of this stuff will be put to good use on future hikes.

Agree that strictly Hammock only stance limits interactions. For example, going to the ground isn't a topic that generates a lot of warm fuzzies, but don't want to be that guy overstepping forum boundaries.

Like michigandave, continue to be a Facebook holdout.
    Last edited by Recalc; 04-12-2020 at 13:45.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    A lot of it could just be winter - and in some parts of the country (we are still below freezing at night) a long winter; even without snow. I’ve seen the same slow-down on the West Coasts Paddlers forum during the winter season. Because new, INFORMED, hammock campers help us all - more recognition by park officials with additional support from LNT folks, I don’t mind answering a question that might have been asked/answered in a much earlier post. For some, using the HF search tools is not a simple matter either. And sometimes it is about the same amount of effort to just answer the question than to recommend the person do a search.

At this time of year, a lot of theory has accumulated over the winter months - ideas for new suspension systems/knots/hardware. Once a warm summer day (what a concept) arrives, then there will be more outside/try it out time with posted results.

Though HF is much more active than WestCoastPaddlers in terms of members and posts, WCP seem to be far more active in posting trip reports with the kind of information needed if someone else might want to visit the same area. So even though there might not be as much “new” with respect to hammocks/tarps/gear, one can always contribute a trip report and/or paddling report. That said, I would have to thump my chest with a Mea Culpa because I have many hammock/kayak camping trips and photos, yet I have posted nary a one.

Maybe this time is like dinner conversation. Sometimes a lull occurs - it’s not a bad thing, if it doesn’t last too long.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I guess I should have added my annoyance with the sometimes militaristic strictness here as well.

This site could get away with it during the more exciting, more innovative, more "new" years of our little hobby. But as those fade and slow down, too many folks leave. Tends to happen on other sites anyway, but the strictness really does take away enjoyment.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast