Hammock
    DIY 10.5' Hexon1.6 burntcoyote
    Tarp
    DIY ASYM
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ/CDT
    Suspension
    Dyno-Poly Beetles
    I personally enjoy the boundaries, Facebook could learn a lesson from this forum. I don’t visit as many posts about gear or general hammock info as I used. I’ve settled into my setup and am not looking for much of a change. I still check in often to binge watch trip report videos, especially when I’m stuck in my office.
    If you don't know where you are going, you'll end up someplace else.
    - Yogi Berra

Hammock
    DIY basic
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    - As a noob here that likes to ask questions that have already been covered: sometimes I ask questions that have been asked hundreds of times to save myself. I cannot tell you how many times I've found a thread, and went so deep down a rabbit hole that I forgot what I was looking for. For instance, last fall (maybe late summer) I went on a search for tips for making underquilts. Came out with a knotty version of a bugnet, and read every post in the DYI Warbird or whatever everyone was calling their blackbird clones back in the day. I ended up making the bugnet (super easy, and I can't tell you how amazed I was when it actually worked) and a warbird (has a few issues, but I made it, and I make it work).

- I too would love to see a like button on these boards. Sometimes I don't feel like I have enough to add to actually make a reply, but would love to give a quick bravo to some of these posts.

- I too have noticed the strict rule following here. However, I've quite enjoyed trying to predict how long it takes for some reactions, and trying to guess the responses that are received. There still is hope though, isn't the foldable saw thread still on the general forum?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    I guess I should have added my annoyance with the sometimes militaristic strictness here as well.

This site could get away with it during the more exciting, more innovative, more "new" years of our little hobby. But as those fade and slow down, too many folks leave. Tends to happen on other sites anyway, but the strictness really does take away enjoyment.
    Reminds me of Grover Norquist's famous line about government: "I'm not in favor of abolishing the government. I just want to shrink it down to the size where we can drown it in the bathtub."

Obviously, the increasing strictness over the years has stifled dissent and discussion, but has also made the moderator's job much easier, by a factor of 10 or more, I would guess. HF members know that the forum doesn't tolerate even the slightest deviation from the rules or you're gone. Dissent and discussion has been shrunk down to the size where the mods can "drown it in the bathtub," which does not make for a robust forum. However, I'm sure it dramatically reduces the moderators' workload.

Some of the changes, I agree with. I remember back in the day, when the "God, guns and politics" zealots were still tolerated to some extent, it must have made a moderator's job difficult and time-consuming. Remember when the religious folks used to have biblical quotes in their signatures, before that was banned? I don't miss any of that.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    I check HF every day, but most of the time have nothing relevant to add. You should be glad for that. (IMO of course)
    Oh, and one more thing, I have both made and improved on so many DIY items I use all the time, not to mention more things I have bought from HF members than I can remember, all useful and like new, obviously well taken care of by their former owners, thanks to you all.
    Last edited by psyculman; 04-14-2020 at 04:45. Reason: update
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Nothing to add here, yawn.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half Zipped
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MiniFly
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    BeetleBuckle
    I have had some more free time lately so I’ve been checking in here every day and even made my first few posts recently. I don’t feel like I have a lot to add since I’m still fairly new to hammocks but I’m learning a lot, particularly since I’ve started sewing and DIY. I agree some sort of like/thumbs up button would be good for me to show my support.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    I agree with everyone wishing for a "Like" button, to let the poster know their post is appreciated. I especially agree with keeping the "Hammock related only" rules in place. I do not come here for anything other than hammock related information and conversation. Just another thought, there is such a tremendous volume of information on this Forum that it is an overwhelmingly daunting task for someone new and eager to learn to begin the task of searching an answer to their question. Many have been on the forum for a good many years, and have watched the evolution of countless new ideas. Some ideas evolved and some became more or less obsolete. But it should not be above the "old timers" to give a simple answer to a noobie question. Not only answer the question, but point the person to where they can find much more information on the subject. Remember that we all were once in the same position, eagerly trying to learn all we can as quickly as we can. If a question is asked here and is met with snarky and snide comments, they will most likely be turned away from one of the most enjoyable camping experiences yet devised. Let's help, rather than criticize and find fault; quickest way in the world to cause the demise of a wonderful Forum!
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I have been a HF Groupie for several years, I do not recall when I started posting maybe 2007? I was ill for a while and lost my spot so my member date is not accurate.

I miss the extended discussion on every new idea and innovation. Little minimalist UQ to these big full length quilts. Discussions in regard to merits of fabric for quilts, tarps and hammocks. Lots of sharing of information and fun challenges.

Now I often feel like a lot of the chatter is about what to purchase...

I suggest if you like a comment or thread either post your agreement or send the author a note.

I do not use Face Book, flatly refuse for many reasons. Lots of my friends use FB and love it, I don't. I guess to each his/her own.
    I like the "rules" on this site, I have been scolded a few times, I broke the rules. Come May I will probably be scolded again, I always offer to place flowers at Williamete National for Memorial Day.
    Last edited by IRONFISH45; 04-13-2020 at 00:40. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by waddy View Post
    ...snarky and snide comments...
    Bingo! That's my reason for not bothering to comment as much anymore.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 16'
    Insulation
    Pads baby
    Suspension
    Straps and biners
    It was bad for a bit, I left because the snark got almost as bad as reddit. Same reason I don't post there either. I joined facebook long enough to realize the kids I knew in high school were still horrible people. Then I left FB and never looked back. I'm not a crazy, foil hat wearing, conspiracy theorist, but I honestly can't abide someone making money off my personal information without offering me a cut. If they gave me a cut I'd be OK with it but things have gotten out of control lately.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast