Thread: Hang

Hang

I tested a hang in my garage. 24', yes I put my catch pad under me, and when I sat in my hammock it went from waist high to the ground. I sat in it easily because I didn't want a sudden drop. As I was getting out of it it ripped near the continuous loop. My eye hooks were about 6'6" high. Why did this happen??

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    It may not be not the length of the hang. For instance, my basement hang is 22' since my ceiling joists are 84" (7') high. Tell us about some other variables you are dealing with such as hammock (DIY or vendor-bought), your height and weight, age of materials, connection methods/techniques, etc. Many will be happy to chime in when we know a bit more about your situation. Glad you had a soft landing.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Are you saying your suspension distance - the distance between “trees” was 24 feet? If that’s the case, then for an 11ft hammock, the recommended suspension height is about 8.5 feet. Because you were two feet below that, it could be that your hang angle was much shallower than 30 degrees. As it gets shallow, there is MUCH MORE force on the suspension parts and hammock fabric. More than your body weight. When a vendor specs out the weight the hammock will handle, it’s assumed the hang will be near the 30 degree range.

If you have a structural ridge line - one designed to take the pull of the suspension your hammock is spared that extra force - but the coupling with between the suspension and that ridge line has to take the hammock itself out of the equation. Even then, you are putting a log of shear (sideways) force on your connectors. If they were attached to the side of the wall, know you are pulling out on a piece of lumber that was designed to just take a downward force.

Many - shown in other posted topics - have successfully hung from connections attached to their walls. But I’m guessing attention was paid to the angle coming off that wall to minimize the sideways pull.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Manatarms777 View Post
    I tested a hang in my garage. 24', yes I put my catch pad under me, and when I sat in my hammock it went from waist high to the ground. I sat in it easily because I didn't want a sudden drop. As I was getting out of it it ripped near the continuous loop. My eye hooks were about 6'6" high. Why did this happen??
    Did your hammock have a structural ridge line (SRL)?

The SRL provides a consistent sag, but even more importantly takes a huge amount of stress off the hammock itself.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts