Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
    I dunno. Post anything less than absolutely positive about one of the "protected" cottage vendors and find yourself out on our butt without so much as a courtesy "stike 1" or good-bye note in the FB group. The first time I was told it must have been a FB glitch... the 2nd time I got the hint.

I haven't been booted from HF forum yet, so....
    HMMM I'll have to try that. Though you can get some frosty replies here.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    All things in moderation- including moderation.
    Your shortest post, ever!
    I'm glad to hear people thanking the mods and approving of the format. I suspect the mods would extend that thanks to the old mods - the people who started HF and set the tone (and the rules). I keep coming back because new people come along with new ideas ... and to keep the old-timers company.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reznix View Post
    Yeah this is me too. After work I need to get some fresh air, and that doesn't involve the Internet in any capacity.

Hammocking... are we perhaps at the end of the beginning?
    I know what my new interest is going to be - stealth camping! It has always made ecological sense to leave no trace and avoid camping in or creating established campsites, but I'm as guilty as the next guy of ignoring that knowledge. Now Covid-19 provides incentive to do it right. Occasionally I have adhered to the rule of camping 200 ft. away from trails or streams, so I know it's easy enough to do. Now I'll make it a regular practice. Besides, there's a whole world out there!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I know what my new interest is going to be - stealth camping! It has always made ecological sense to leave no trace and avoid camping in or creating established campsites, but I'm as guilty as the next guy of ignoring that knowledge. Now Covid-19 provides incentive to do it right. Occasionally I have adhered to the rule of camping 200 ft. away from trails or streams, so I know it's easy enough to do. Now I'll make it a regular practice. Besides, there's a whole world out there!
    I'm doing my first night very soon...as soon as some more foliage pops up. Like 1-2 weeks away!

There's a spot about 5 minutes away that I'll ride my bike to, so maybe 20min ride. Stash the bike in the woods, hike in, camp. While they don't say "no overnight parking", I don't want to chance it and just seems sketchy anyway. I'm really looking forward to it! Having to hide adds a little excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
    I dunno. Post anything less than absolutely positive about one of the "protected" cottage vendors and find yourself out on our butt without so much as a courtesy "stike 1" or good-bye note in the FB group. The first time I was told it must have been a FB glitch... the 2nd time I got the hint.

I haven't been booted from HF forum yet, so....
    I think it's just an oldschool mentality "growing up" with a few cottage vendors and that's it. Maybe it's nostalgic for some? I don't know. But what I do know is the market has been flooded 10 times over with random brands...many junk, some good, roll the dice. Then of course you have hardcore brand-loyal fans who will protect theirs til the end. I like certain brands, but don't feel like I need to bash everything else.

p.s. why do my threads always end up stirring the pot and rivaling the library of congress in terms of pages? It's not intentional, I swear

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    My feeling is that the strict moderators have destroyed this forum. For that reason, I no longer post or financially support the forum.

I have spoken with several posters who have been here since the beginning and I am not alone in feeling this way.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I don't want to open a can of worms, but I just have to, possibly killing my own thread.

Do we really need to talk guns, politics and Jesus with strangers on the Internet? It's bad enough with family at Thanksgiving dinner.

I appreciate the mods keeping our hammock forum about hammocks.

(now ducking and covering under my desk)

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Obviously some are going to believe this is over moderating but this thread has gone away from hammocks and into a general discussion. With where the OP has just taken it, the thread is closed.

While you may not approve please remember the moderators job is to enforce the Terms of Service.

III. Stay On-Topic. This is a moderated site about hammocks. Off-topic posts will be removed from the hammock sub-forums.

HF was started to become the single best source of hammock information on the internet. Our goal is to provide a respectful forum for hammock enthusiasts, and to ensure that it runs smoothly…not to grow the forum, nor to provide a friendly discussion forum for general outdoor enthusiasts. Discussion of knives, stoves, paddling, backpacks and other non-hammock related issues detracts from our primary objective. Excellent information on all of these topics can be found on dozens of other sites around the internet...but only this site can claim to have the most experts on hammocks in the world and we plan to keep that focus.

All threads not directly related to hammocks will be moved to the Donating Members section. Fewer posts, but higher quality ones focused on our primary mission area, is a perfectly acceptable outcome of this policy. Please note that if you are not a donating member, you will not have access to a thread you started that gets moved to the off-topic area. You may either participate on topic in the free access areas or donate to get access.

This policy is not open for debate, so please do not email the moderators with requests that we run this forum like others you frequent.

Quote from the TOS
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456