Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CanGnu View Post
    It was bad for a bit, I left because the snark got almost as bad as reddit. Same reason I don't post there either.
    That's interesting, you not the only one to say that. I actually didn't notice it other than one person here or there. But maybe I'm callus from other sites. Yeah, Reddit is so bad they could make Chuck Norris cry. Backpacking Light, if you're cold at 30 degrees with 'x' gear, you're doing it wrong because Roger isn't cold. Half the responses are condescending without even trying to be humorous. You have to attach some wit to those responses.

Life goes on. It's just a totally different feel as of a year ago like I said. Can't even really put my finger on it. Nothing real specific I guess.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by waddy View Post
    Just another thought, there is such a tremendous volume of information on this Forum that it is an overwhelmingly daunting task for someone new and eager to learn to begin the task of searching an answer to their question. But it should not be above the "old timers" to give a simple answer to a noobie question. Not only answer the question, but point the person to where they can find much more information on the subject.
    especially when the forum search function sucks where most people go to google and type in what they want to know and then add hammock forums to it to be able to find what they are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by waddy View Post
    If a question is asked here and is met with snarky and snide comments, they will most likely be turned away from one of the most enjoyable camping experiences yet devised. Let's help, rather than criticize and find fault; quickest way in the world to cause the demise of a wonderful Forum!
    yep, look at what happens when someone ask a question about an ENO hammocks or what underquilt is best for it some will answer thew questions but usually within the top 5 answer someone will come in and tell them how bad a ENO sucks and that they need to upgrade their hammock first when that's not what they ask. believe it or not some people like their ENO hammocks and finds them comfortable. funny how some of these people will bash ENO hammocks and then tell people in other threads to hang your own hang. I started out with a grand trunk skeeter beeter pro and then an ENO and I slept just fine in them (but I am short and can see how tall people would not be as comfortable in them as I was) but if you listen to some on this forum you would believe than no-one could be comfortable in an ENO/grand trunk hammock or their clones. most of the people that ask about ENO and then get blasted on how bad their hammocks sucks you never see them post anymore. until some people lose the elitist attitude towards the ENO style hammocks these people will not stick around.

its the same way when someone ask about underquilt protectors, there will always be someone come in and post that they have no use for UQP and that they have never had their UQs get wet in a rain storm and UQP are not worth their weight. that's not what the person ask, its one thing if someone asked if UQPs worth worth it but totally different when someone asks where to buy one

if people would answer the person question instead of telling them their hammock sucks or telling them that the item they want to buy isn't worth the 6oz to them to carry then people may stick around but if people keep with the elitist attitudes then I think its just going to keep going down. I've been here about 6 years and I remember when I first signed up there was always a lot to read each day where I would be on for about an hour reading and now I can sign on (I check the site before work and after work and sometime at lunch) and there may be about 20 threads with a new post and I'm on for about 10 minutes reading. I don't read every post just the ones I'm interested in. I'm not a big poster but I do like reading stuff about hammocks but I've stopped reading as much as I used to because of these people, it has taken the enjoyment out of coming here.

I think another thing is some people sign up and start posting in every thread there is (may be they like to interact with people or they just padding their post count) and they burn themselves out.

just my thoughts
    Last edited by soul embrace; 04-13-2020 at 08:02.
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    I just realized the issue myself. After spending a bit typing out a post of related info, I found myself deleting it all just because I didn't want to deal with the naysayers. There is my issue I guess.
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by soul embrace View Post
    yep, look at what happens when someone ask a question about an ENO hammocks or what underquilt is best for it some will answer thew questions but usually within the top 5 answer someone will come in and tell them how bad a ENO sucks and that they need to upgrade their hammock first when that's not what they ask. believe it or not some people like their ENO hammocks and finds them comfortable. funny how some of these people will bash ENO hammocks and then tell people in other threads to hang your own hang. ... most of the people that ask about ENO and then get blasted on how bad their hammocks sucks you never see them post anymore. until some people lose the elitist attitude towards the ENO style hammocks these people will not stick around....

if people would answer the person question instead of telling them their hammock sucks or telling them that the item they want to buy isn't worth the 6oz to them to carry then people may stick around but if people keep with the elitist attitudes then I think its just going to keep going down.
    Absolutly agree. As a 6'7" tall guy who finds an inexpensive 210T Nylon hammock perfectly comfy, I have seen this elitist attitude and snarky comments 1st hand. The big plus side is it only a very few and the block member function is nice. But as you also point out, we can all be less than welcoming, even if unintentionally, by not addressing the question asked.

Thank you for posting this.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I know that I too have not been as active on this forum for a good bit of the past year. For me, I tend to ebb and flow with these types of social forums. I will find myself highly involved for a while, and then take a step back. I love having the ability to engage with like-minded folks, and learn new things about topics that interest me. That said, I do not like having social media "consume" me as a person. I have a wonderful family, and a life outside of hammocks (blasphemy!). And as much as I enjoy laying in my hammock, there are far more important things in life.

I also believe that as folks tinker around with various gear- over time, people tend to settle into what works best for them. I know I have reached that point for the most part. I no longer care to peruse the multitude of hammock suspension threads, because I know that I prefer the simplicity of a becket hitch now; and I don't see any reason to switch it up at this point. Back when I desired to try every type of suspension possible, I was on the forums almost constantly, looking at all of the options, asking questions, etc... To me, there is a certain beauty in contentment.

I'm not sure how many folks are willing to admit it, but it could very well be that many of us finally have our system pretty much where we want it; so we aren't looking around as much. And there are probably many folks like myself who would just rather not engage, because we don't want to be consumed by our phones all the time when we get a notification that "so-and-so just replied to your comment." Regardless of the topic, social media can become burdensome very quickly, when our utilization of it remains unchecked.

Just my $.02

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    I'm not sure how many folks are willing to admit it, but it could very well be that many of us finally have our system pretty much where we want it; so we aren't looking around as much.
    I'm there. I'm "gear bored". But that's mostly a good thing.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Agreed! I'd much rather just enjoy what I have, rather than live in a continuous cycle of upgrading gear 24/7.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    If I am ever snarky or a smartass, I'm trying to be funny and failed...again. Just slap me virtually somehow or put me in time-out. I'm used to it.

As someone who used to run a forum also with an outdoors focus, I know our primary problems with site traffic were (which I understand do not necessarily correlate to HF): People treating new members poorly (sometimes even a Mod or Admin) and politics persistently weaving their way into threads. I walked away from my position and the forum altogether over those two issues alone. That forum no longer exists today in any form on the internet. The inception of tribal politics on the internet and the lack of mutual respect/consideration it produced killed that site and made enemies of long time friends. It got bad and I couldn't stand to watch it any longer.

Keeping chatter and new topics moving can be exhausting, especially when it is mainly the same people doing it all the time. It's what keep forums alive, though. You never know which topic is going to catch fire and create interest. Finding new hammock/camping related interests and ideas when you are locked in a dark room with a bunch of electronics is proving difficult...at least for me. What little action there is around here is helping keep me sane...er...ish...maybe. I already needed a jacket that makes me hug myself, according to most.
    Oooh, shiney! What does THIS button do?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    The big plus side is it only a very few and the block member function is nice.

it only takes a very few people to ruin the whole site for others though. the block feature is nice until you are scrolling through a thread and this one thread comes up saying you have blocked this person and then that gets on your nerves. haha. wish it just removed the reply and didn't let you know the person you blocked even replied and then you still see what they post if someone quotes them, so you really don't totally block them.
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I think this is where I'm at. I don't 'need' anything and even with the latest sales I just find myself loading up a cart then abandoning it. Instead, I upgraded my desktop with a new video card and 27" 2k monitor. Upgrades I pushed off the last two years while upgrading my camping gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast