Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Darien Lay Direction

This is probably a dumb question but I am a noob so forgive me. Just bought a Darien left lay. How do I know which direction to lay in the hammock? Which end I put my feet? Does it even matter?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckDore View Post
    This is probably a dumb question but I am a noob so forgive me. Just bought a Darien left lay. How do I know which direction to lay in the hammock? Which end I put my feet? Does it even matter?
    For a left lay hammock, head to right side, feet to the left.

End to end is symmetrical so it doesn't matter which end your head is on, but whether you prefer the zipper to be on your right or your left.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    UGQ winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    buckles or Daisy
    In a Darien there is no right or wrong way to lay. But if you're a left lay sleeper try it with your feet pointing toward the zipper side. There is less swiveling getting in and out.
    left lay born, left lay bred and when I die I'll be left lay dead.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdisgrace View Post
    In a Darien there is no right or wrong way to lay. But if you're a left lay sleeper try it with your feet pointing toward the zipper side. There is less swiveling getting in and out.
    Do you have a Darien? I have 3 of them and this is not at all my experience.

In a left lay Darien (or any asym hammock), if you lie in it head left, feet right you will put serious strain on the net at the zipper and on the fixed seam side. And it will feel totally discombobulated. Sorry, no offense but this is not correct — Dariens are quite lay specific.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I love my Darien; but it is absolutely lay-specific. I would only recommend getting one if you already know which direction you prefer to lay. Until then, stick with a symmetrical hammock.

You can always tell which direction your body is supposed to go in an asymmetrical hammock by looking at where the low side is on the bug net. That is where your head & feet go. Left lay is head right/feet left.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. Hopefully we get nice enough whether for me to get out and check it out today.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    I love my Darien; but it is absolutely lay-specific. I would only recommend getting one if you already know which direction you prefer to lay. Until then, stick with a symmetrical hammock.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckDore View Post
    Thanks everyone. Hopefully we get nice enough whether for me to get out and check it out today.
    Did you know your lay preference when you purchased it?

There is a general (statistical) guide that says if you're right handed you'll prefer a right lay (head left) but this is not true for me and reading the forums these past couple of years I've seen quite a few people who feel the same. When I first tried out a friend's hammock I immediately, and strongly, preferred left lay (head right) and it remains so to this day. Some people report being happy either way and use a symmetrical hammock, switching directions during the night.

Another general observation is that it's preferred to have the zipper on the side opposite your head position. Again, maybe for some people, but not for me; I strongly prefer having it on the right side, near my head.

To me it seems strange that lay preference is defined by foot position and not head position. When I were a noob in the woods (not that long ago!) I assumed the opposite and darn near ordered the wrong hammock the first time. But while I was waiting on my Darien (IIRC the queue was about 6 weeks at the time) I got a Chameleon with asym net and winter cover and somehow figured it out quickly and got the order changed in time. But this is the accepted standard and it's no use bucking convention.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Did you know your lay preference when you purchased it?

There is a general (statistical) guide that says if you're right handed you'll prefer a right lay (head left) but this is not true for me and reading the forums these past couple of years I've seen quite a few people who feel the same. When I first tried out a friend's hammock I immediately, and strongly, preferred left lay (head right) and it remains so to this day. Some people report being happy either way and use a symmetrical hammock, switching directions during the night.

Another general observation is that it's preferred to have the zipper on the side opposite your head position. Again, maybe for some people, but not for me; I strongly prefer having it on the right side, near my head.

To me it seems strange that lay preference is defined by foot position and not head position. When I were a noob in the woods (not that long ago!) I assumed the opposite and darn near ordered the wrong hammock the first time. But while I was waiting on my Darien (IIRC the queue was about 6 weeks at the time) I got a Chameleon with asym net and winter cover and somehow figured it out quickly and got the order changed in time. But this is the accepted standard and it's no use bucking convention.
    Yes, I already knew my lay preference before purchasing the Darien. I'm the same as you, I'm left handed, but prefer right lay.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Sorry, meant for the OP... I figured you knew already!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I'm right handed and prefer left lay. Did know the difference early on and went with a right lay Black Bird. I remember feeling I was getting a great night sleep back then. Later got a chance to try an asym and realized I was left lay. I do switch left to right sometimes, for comfort reasons only, but strong left for sure.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast