DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I'll agree with the sewn footbox... Had only one drawcord footbox and it was a waste of complications. I use a Halfwit style hammock most often so a sewn foobox also means extra leg protection.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY basic
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yes, I had this thought late last night. Spent some time this morning thinking it through, and I think that I will be happier with a sewn footbox, and it may even be easier to some extent (not entirely, because there's going to be features that I always try to pull off that makes things complex).

Hammock
    DIY basic
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    OK, I think that I figured out how the whole sewn footbox thing works, and once you see it (unless I'm messing up big time), it really is at least as simple as a zippered footbox. Also, finally pulled the trigger of supplies to start to make my son and I both appear less redneck on camping trips. Going to fix both of our rainfly situations (he's been living in walmart level tarp world, although it is camo at least, building character, and I've been living with a converted tent rainfly that at least was extremely light), and going to make both of us top quilts.

Now it's time for the waiting.

Hammock
    DWG Chameleon
    Tarp
    DWG 12' Hex
    Insulation
    EE TQ, CRO UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Becket H
    Quote Originally Posted by poor_jalopy View Post
    OK, I think that I figured out how the whole sewn footbox thing works, and once you see it (unless I'm messing up big time), it really is at least as simple as a zippered footbox. Also, finally pulled the trigger of supplies to start to make my son and I both appear less redneck on camping trips. Going to fix both of our rainfly situations (he's been living in walmart level tarp world, although it is camo at least, building character, and I've been living with a converted tent rainfly that at least was extremely light), and going to make both of us top quilts.

Now it's time for the waiting.
    Just finished my Apex quilt project over the weekend and am looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Don't mean to hijack this thread but need some pointers from others who have made top quilts. It seems applicable, so I thought I'd ask my question here.

I want to end up with a total quilt length of 75" with the cinch box closed & am trying to determine if I need to add additional inches to my length dimension to compensate for a cinched foot box... when you cinch the foot box closed, does it reduce the overall quilt length by a few inches?

Hammock
    DIY basic
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hi-jack away ... although I'll warn ya ... these guys really sold me on a sewn footbox, and if my materials ever get here (delayed shipping may be far down the list of things that I hate about the corona virus, but it's definitely on the list now), I'm going to post my instructions and/or pics or video (I'm not so sure that I'll be able to convince anybody in my house to help with video). However, I want to make sure that my plans are going to actually work before I throw my ideas out there.

However, this isn't "my" thread, it's OUR thread. Ask any questions you want, the experts will answer, I'm sure of it.

Hammock
    HG
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG/AGGTQ SLDUQ/UQP
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiderwhoopi
    I think you're spot on. A sewn footbox is the only way to go. Zippers and snaps pop loose when you don't want them to and I find the quilt is too light to stay in place when used blanket style. I have a 55 deg sewn footbox and its never been an issue. I also saw some one mention what I thought was a great idea, do a shorter seam on the sewn box, say from the back of the calf to the heel.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    Don't mean to hijack this thread but need some pointers from others who have made top quilts. It seems applicable, so I thought I'd ask my question here.

I want to end up with a total quilt length of 75" with the cinch box closed & am trying to determine if I need to add additional inches to my length dimension to compensate for a cinched foot box... when you cinch the foot box closed, does it reduce the overall quilt length by a few inches?
    Give yourself 3-4”. I’m in the cinch foot box camp. I’ve made a few and love opening them up to toss on the bed, in the camper, around the fire (carefully), in the hammock. It’s such a useful temperature quilt to be able to open up.

Hammock
    DIY basic
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Finally finished my topquilt tonight. I really like the sewn footbox. I don't know if I'll always like it better, but I feel a whole lot better having made one. Kinda lets me know that option is always on the table for me now, ya know. It's navy and white (because those colors were cheaper, although I don't hate Penn State or anything) in 1.0 hyperD, which I must say is possibly the softest fabric my poor skin has ever worked with. I doubled up the insulation in the footbox area using scraps of apex from my topquilts (I made one for my son as well) because last year when I made an underquilt, I made a 3/4 one, and I've tired of taking care of insulating my feet and lower legs on camping trips.

Right now it suits me, and maybe one day I'll outgrow it in some way, and have a reason to make a better one.topquilt 2.jpgtopquilt 1.jpgtopquilt 3.jpgtopquilt 4.jpg

P.S. I know that I can do, but I'm not too keen on the idea of having to sew circular things anytime in the near future.

Hammock
    DWG Chameleon
    Tarp
    DWG 12' Hex
    Insulation
    EE TQ, CRO UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Becket H
    I went with the white hyperD as well for my TQ, just used it on the inside instead. Found that it was tricky to sew, especially at the corners where it tended to bunch up on me.

How'd you fare sewing the 1.0?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast