DIY basic
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Apex topquilt question(s)

So, after tonight's research and tinkering, I have about 5 less questions than before, however I feel like I'm going to be coming back here with a lot more questions soonish.

Background. I'm thinking of making two (one for me, one for the son) Apex insulated topquilts, and I'm trying to pretty much follow the pattern of the hammockgear burrow, just with synthetic insulation, and no baffles. (I was going to try to get a burrow, until I realized that my son needed a better top quilt option as well, then my wallet felt insufficient).

My question centers around the drawcord for the footbox and the closure by the neck area (I'm making a zippered footbox).

three options running through my head:

1) relying on the strength of the 1.1 oz ripstop nylon to house the drawcord on its own for both ends (I like the weight option here,
    and how closely it could cinch up. On one hand, that's thin material getting a lot of wear, then again, I have a hammock made
    out of the stuff and I move like a cat in a sack in it sometimes with no worries.

2) reinforcing the ends/openings of each drawcord with grosgrain where the most wear/tear and stress would be. This is my
    compromise option, and the one that I was leaning most heavily towards before I decided to ask the experts here.

3) Reinforcing the entirety on both ends with grosgrain ribbon. Other than weight, extra time/effort and whatnot, my only issue
    with this method would be wondering how tightly the ends would close, and if the grosgrain would get too bunchy.

I'm saying thank you before any replies even come in. Hopefully, this whole project goes awesome, and I get to share proud pics back here!

I would go with option #1- I did add the grosgrain reinforcement to the channel ends- no problems for six years. Good luck with your build.

Hammock
    DWG Chameleon
    Tarp
    DWG 12' Hex
    Insulation
    EE TQ, CRO UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Becket H
    Let us know what option you end up going with. I'm putting my quarantine apex quilt together over the next week or so and would love to see how you approach the build.

Hammock
    DIY basic
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have to wait a little to see exactly how this "social-distancing" thing is going to affect our family's finances long-term (my job is pretty darn secure, however the pay isn't, I've gotten use to having to work for free often, my wife is almost the opposite). Right now, I'm leaning towards using grosgrain to only reinforce the very ends and button-hole (going to try to make the head-end cinch on the top middle like the burrow) for the cinch cords.

The only plus side of the waiting is that I get to really really run through every step in my head, and rethink everything that can go wrong, and the best solutions to my issues. If my house is still full of people by the time I get to building, I'm going to try to really document how it all goes.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    The TQ's I've made all relied on the fabric for the draw cord enclosure. Never had a problem. You don't open and close the draw cord like you would a stuff sack. On the last one I did, I sewed a simple button hole where the shock cord exited the collar. Hasn't been problematic.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY basic
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thank you. Your DIY experience is way past my own. You are right about the usage of a quilt draw cord being different, and I wasn't completely thinking about that. Going with just the fabric material should make the whole thing easier and technically lighter (although there's a thousand other things I should look at lightening before I start to worry about a little grosgrain).

Thank you very much, your response is exactly the type of experience I was looking for.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by poor_jalopy View Post
    Thank you. Your DIY experience is way past my own. You are right about the usage of a quilt draw cord being different, and I wasn't completely thinking about that. Going with just the fabric material should make the whole thing easier and technically lighter (although there's a thousand other things I should look at lightening before I start to worry about a little grosgrain).

Thank you very much, your response is exactly the type of experience I was looking for.
    The button hole will reinforce the outlet and prevent fray and wear.

Don't underestimate how much the grosgrain will weigh..
    Ounces add up to pounds.. pounds equal pain.
    Bob's brother-in-law

Quote Originally Posted by poor_jalopy View Post
    3) Reinforcing the entirety on both ends with grosgrain ribbon. Other than weight, extra time/effort and whatnot, my only issue
    with this method would be wondering how tightly the ends would close, and if the grosgrain would get too bunchy.
    You probably won't be happy with option 3. I made an underquilt with grosgrain channels on the ends to run the cinch cords through. It doesn't work very well; lots of accordion folding and gaps and an inability to really tighten down well. And that's with an underquilt, which typically isn't cinched up the way you're doing with a footbox on a top quilt. I ended up ripping out the grosgrain channels and just using regular ripstop nylon channels.

You'll probably be happier with option 2 or even option 1 if you double up or fold over the ends for reinforcement.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    You probably won't be happy with option 3. I made an underquilt with grosgrain channels on the ends to run the cinch cords through. It doesn't work very well; lots of accordion folding and gaps and an inability to really tighten down well. And that's with an underquilt, which typically isn't cinched up the way you're doing with a footbox on a top quilt. I ended up ripping out the grosgrain channels and just using regular ripstop nylon channels.

You'll probably be happier with option 2 or even option 1 if you double up or fold over the ends for reinforcement.
    Now that you mention it, I had the same bunching issue with the very first quilt I made. On second, I switched to a satin blanket edging and there after, gave up on the grosgrain entirely.
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Option #4
    Sew the foot box shut.
    As cute and multi-functional a cinch or zipper foot box may seem, I just never used it. If I’m warm I’d rather just kick out my foot than untie/unzip things in the middle of the night. Then later have to redo it all as nighttime temps fall.

A snap for the neck is used by many. Almost a weightless solution, and no dangly strings or cord locks.

HYOH
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast