WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    2 - WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Wookie custom
    Suspension
    Dyneema Buckles
    Images

My FIRST Post! Should I just stop looking and buy it?

Hey Guys and Girls, My first Post.....be gentle! We've all had a LOT of time to do whatever we do. Hanging out outside (that was a joke) looks to be the only thing that WON'T get you sick. I live in a rural area with woods all around. I got my daughter turned on to backpacking and she just bought a Hammock. ENO double with Atlas straps. I have done a LOT of time in a tent. I used to love winter backpacking. But until about two weeks ago, I had never fallen into a hammock. What IS all the fuss about. It took about 3 minutes to find out. It was great! So... being the way I am I have been sitting in front of my PC for hours on end. You should see the notes I have on these things. Should I get this - do I need that... the choices are overwhelming. I took her ENO out the other day by myself to "putz" around with it on my own. I wanted to feel the full experience and not be rushed. After you spend some time in a hammock...almost like a car - you just know if its "the right one". My back was cold - it wasn't long enough - etc etc. I DID however like the suspension. No matter what I am sold on that style. So.... as you may have noticed, I posted this on the WB section. I kinda dug that AMOK system. And another brand that is not listed here is Sierra Madre... they make a nice unit. But I'm ten minutes from ordering a Blackbird XLC - Double layer in probably a dark red. And it's too late but I ordered the Kammock Python straps with a couple RALLT carabiners. The 20% off opportunity is great timing to buy. For starters, I pretty much plan to hang close to home - at least while we're still on lock down... but the spring is here, and I can't think of a better thing to do than relax in my new ride. Apologies for the novel! Take care guys....stay low and stay healthy

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Welcome to the forums! If you are coming from tent camping then my biggest warning would be hammocks are a lot more complicated. It is not bad, really boils down to you have a ton of choices. If you are feeling really fired up then I do not think you would regret ordering a blackbird right away. If you have a bit of time though I might put an order on pause. If I could go back before I bought my ENO I would definitely tell myself to do something like the Hammock Gear Wanderlust kit. I think a lot of people would say that for the price you are getting a great quality set that you do not need to do a lot of research into. If you really want to dive into more detail before ordering you could consider something like a bridge hammock (sort of between the gathered ends and the AMOK you were looking at), decide if you want to start with a pad in the hammock or move right onto a bottom quilt (not sure if that was the reason for the double layer or not), and then reexamine all of the suspension options. You can easily spend multiple nights looking into topics like suspension, top quilts, bottom quilts, different hammock styles, and tarps. Or you can just pull the trigger and get to testing, no wrong way to do it. At this point all I am sure about is I love my setup and can't wait to buy another one. Once the kids are out of daycare maybe... At least one of them...

Welcome to the forums. I'd hold off on buying anything until you've had ample opportunity to peruse the forums and get more Intel. Attending a group hang somewhere will also provide the chance to see various setups. There's lots of cottage vendors out there that make some mighty fine gear.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I'd second Adroa's recommendation for the HG Wanderlust combo, although with the pandemic situation it might be some time before any of our favorite hammock folks are shipping again.

In the meantime, an alternative would be to follow Michigandave's advice and take the opportunity to study up and then look for good used gear in the For Sale forum. There is lots of really good gear available, often at a very attractive price.

Try your absolute best to NOT buy stuff on Amazon or Ebay. There is SOME good stuff on there but you have to be pretty well versed and experienced to be able to separate the junk from the gems. And there's LOTS more junk than gems.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

This thread might be better suited for "general hammock" discussion since alternative choices are being discussed.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Hmm... well Warbonnet is still shipping in-stock items. A realiable, quality vendor, so get 'em while you can, perhaps.

Good point, though... I overlooked that this the WB sub forum.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Hmm... well Warbonnet is still shipping in-stock items. A realiable, quality vendor, so get 'em while you can, perhaps.

Good point, though... I overlooked that this the WB sub forum.
    I'd second that. Even though I've never slept in a WBBB, they have such a huge following that the chances of it not working for you would be miniscule. Attending a group hang is the traditional suggestion to people trying to find what works best for them, but it's going to be a good long while before any of those take place. That being the case, the next best thing would be to get gear that works for the widest range of people. The WBBB would certainly fit that bill. I believe WB is having a sale this weekend so now would be a great time to buy. I've also had great luck buying used gear on this site as well as social media "Buy/Sell/Trade" groups. Another great thing about buying gear made from the top vendors in the USA is that the risk factor is very small. As long as you take reasonable care of the gear and decide you don't like it, it's very easy to sell and get a good bit of your money back.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Stick with the Warbonnet, then you can experiment with everything else! It's easy to swap out suspensions on the WB, and I've used mine with a dozen different UQ/pad combinations.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Enjoy your hammock quest.
    Be Patient. One thing at a time. Hammocks have a learning curve.
    Sometimes I wish I could start the whole hammock discovery again.
    Make sure to check out Warbonnets Hammock 101. https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/hammocks-101/
    This will help you get success with your hang.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Try your absolute best to NOT buy stuff on Amazon or Ebay. There is SOME good stuff on there but you have to be pretty well versed and experienced to be able to separate the junk from the gems. And there's LOTS more junk than gems.
    As the guy around here who does not regret his Amazon hammock purchases, Moulder speaks the truth and wisdom here.

There were and still are some fantastic deals on Amazon but you do have to know how to separate the junk out. 1st. Anything under 300cm long pass. You can in the US regularly find 320cm and sometimes 340cm. Often these longer hammocks come with 12kn caribiners, and Daisy/Loop straps (avoid rope suspension, though it is easily replaced) The Daisy/Loop Straps are fine for back yard and car camping. And now Very, vary rarely there is still a Vipon Coupon for a decent hammock... alas but those days are all but gone.

Oh, and if your Amazon deal is pushing over $20 to$25 or so... Look at Dutch's netless hammock in 11.7 Robric wide or his new 12' hammock. He can get you in the hammock game at little more than the Amazon Price.

All that said... If you like the WBBB then go for it while the sale is on you will not regret. And if you do... Put it up for sale in the for sale forum at the 20% off price you paid and someone will snatch it up.
    Last edited by jeff-oh; 04-04-2020 at 10:08.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast