WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    WookieUQ BurrowTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    warbonnet is where I settled, not that I have a ton of hammocks or have been at this for decades or anything. Only been in for a few years and played with a amazon hammock for a bit did some camping trips with it as well, then went to a Hammock Gear set up. My wife decided she liked the idea so I bought her a eldorado, she hated it, so I gave her my HG and I took the eldorado. I love the warbonnet hammocks and just ordered the xlc bug net for it so that basically makes it an XLC hammock. I don't think you can go wrong with warbonnet, and now is a great time with the sale on. I ended up getting their thunderfly tarp, love it, and the wookie UQ all great stuff and built well. You're on the right track with warbonnet, good thing is if you get it and don't like it they sale well used. just my 2 cents
    Last edited by Johnwesley; 04-07-2020 at 16:13.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I made a leap of faith a few years ago and bought a WBBB XLC having never seen anyone use a hammock in the bush.
    Not a big hammocking community here in Aus (although it is growing slowly) so the options were limited. I had to be pretty confident with my purchase as the hassle and cost of returns were significant.

The overwhelming number of recommendations made it hard to go past.

I’m still very happy with it and it’s my go-to hammock.

As an added bonus I also got the Wooki Underquilt when i was ready to move on from sleeping mat / sleeping bag - strongly recommend the combination as well.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    My hammock is the RR and I do love it. For in terms of relaxation I have two warnings.

1. No ridgeline inside of the bug net. If you want to relax and stick a HangTime Hook, or it is warm and you want to hang a fan or something it will be a little trickier. If bugs aren't a problem then you can just run an extra line and no issues.
    2. You can lay down in a RR and that is about it. May seem like a silly warning but in my ENO I was actually quite fond of turning 90 degrees and sitting cross legged for a while. Also if you are trying to get into a slightly more upright position (god Shug, how are you always so topical, literally your two latest videos!) you may find that harder. Certainly not impossible but just a bit harder.

Now with those both said I have definitely watched a movie under the bug net quit happily. Other than having to reposition every so often to keep blood flowing to my arms it goes well.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    2 - WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Wookie custom
    Suspension
    Dyneema Buckles
    Images
    I just discovered your Youtube channel and subscribed.... YOU are quite the showman....LOVE IT!

Hammock
    WBRR/ Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cloudburst/ Borg
    Insulation
    Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Many
    I’d go ahead and get one, any of the one you’re looking at are good.
    Jump into the deep end and start swimming. You can always sell it later if you find you want another or.........
    Maybe have more then one.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Not to be a Debbie Downer but the weight capacity on a double layer Ridge Runner is 250lbs. I don't know how exact that is but if you're concerned about it there is a fella called Bill that i believe makes a bridge for big guys. Good luck.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

I love my XLC. I got hte double layer 1.1. My first hammock was a single-layer and the mosquitos ate me up through the bottom. Also, in the Winter, I like to put my clothes in between the two layers as it helps keep them from getting too cold. I love the shelf. The Cinch Buckles from Warbonnet are super simple (the Triangle design). Their design helps minimize strap damage that can occur when the square type cinch buckles inadvertently twist. You can also use the straps that you ordered with that setup if you wanted to. You can just slide the buckle out of the way and clip the carabiner to that continuous loop and Python straps if you wanted. I think you will find the Warbonnet Cinch buckles are so easy that you will just use them. Be sure you watch Brandon's videos and Mr. Emery's videos. They are super helpful.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Quilts
    Suspension
    Beckett / Whoopies
    Few days late here, but I was in the same boat a year or two back - decided I was tired of sleeping on the ground. After doing a lot of the same homework you did, I went all in with Warbonnet. There are 6+ top tier cottage vendors, many of which have been mentioned in this thread, that you won't go wrong with. I'd argue that there isn't a single best, just best for you.

I liked the red color and ended up with a single layer XLC in red, a red and black Diamondback, and a red/red Wooki. Couldn't get a matching Thunderfly, so ended up with grey.

Warbonnet's ratings are comfort, not weight, so you probably won't end up on the ground if you slightly exceed the rating, but you also may not be as comfortable as you could be due to extra stretch/getting shrink wrapped.

There are dozens if not hundreds of suspension options. Since I tend to backpack, I went with the Becket straps, added a pair of fishhooks to get them around the trees with minimal fuss, and tie the straps to the continuous loops on the hammock. It's easy, it works.

Almost guaranteed you'll be happy with Warbonnet. For insulation, give serious thought to a Wooki - the zero fiddle factor makes it a great default starting point.

Hammock
    Eldorado
    Tarp
    Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I have sleep in a warbonnet traveler and blackbird over 400 amazing nights and recently invested in a new SL Eldorado, Wooki, Minifly and a UQP for this season when I can get back out to the bush. The Warbonnet team and products are brilliant and you will be very pleased with your purchase!
    Instagram: TakeaHikeSpike
    Web: spike.ca
    YouTube: TakeaHikeSpike

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    2 - WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Wookie custom
    Suspension
    Dyneema Buckles
    Images
    Ended up Getting a fern Green XLC - just came in from hanging for my first time in the unit. Absolutely LOVE it. Great quality. Love that shelf and how the bungees for the bug net can be unhooked. EVERY detail thought out. It'll take me a few times to get the "set up" down but I am very happy. Thanks to every one for their input - Stay Low Stay Healthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast