Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    And let’s not forget, some short hammocks are advertised as longer than they actually measure.
    For example a hammock that’s already on the short side is advertised as ten feet long, but actual measurements are 9 and a half feet long!
    I recommend getting a gathered end hammock a minimum of 11 feet long by five feet wide. Since you’ve already used an ENO hammock, you might want a hammock 11 feet long and wide width-6 feet wide or at least five and a half feet wide. These sizes go a long way towards preventing CRP calf ridge pressure and ankle scrunch as well as banana lay.
    Also you will need adequate insulation, to prevent CBS cold butt syndrome.

Good luck and have fun!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Rabbit hole............Engage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY basic
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I don't know if this is good advice or not, as I still feel like a noob. However, I've dealt with the overwhelmingness of the hammock world by starting with the super bare essentials: basic hammock, free harbor freight tarp, sleeping pad from tent, fleece blanket under me, then sleeping in sleeping bag. Then, instead of getting everything just right at once, I understood that I was going to be experimenting on making things better. I only focused on one area of hammock camping at a time, fiddled, failed, learned, succeeded, fiddled, failed, found my limit, and slept nicely before I let my focus wander on to a different area. This site alone easily could build an encyclopedia (do people even know what those things are anymore) of knowledge about any area of hammock camping. I don't know how smart all of you others are, but there's no way my brain can keep up with all the different suspension systems, tarps, hammocks, bottom insulation, top insulation, etc to try to get them all dialed in at once.

So, get enough to get out there and experiment. Then, research and dial-in only one area at a time. Also, you're going to mess up and fail. It's ok, that's the learning process, and half the fun of this stuff anyways.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    2 - WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Wookie custom
    Suspension
    Dyneema Buckles
    Images
    OK.... BIG THANKS for the responses. 1) Apologies for posting this in the incorrect section - a honest rookie error 2) And I guess I knew that the responses would end up being all over the place. I DID my homework - and I really thought that placing it on the WB section I would be getting more..."great choice, you can't go wrong". Some told me to look at one that was 11' long and at least 6' wide - The XLC is! Again. appreciate all the input, but I think I'm gonna go with my gut. Go with a proven performer - USA made - they ARE shipping - they are offering 20% off on everything. Stay low and stay healthy.....

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    great choice, you can't go wrong

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Yep, great choice. The XLC was my first hammock and I was not disappointed. The XLC is my main gathered end and the Ridge runner is my bridge. Hope to see you at some point at a group hang in the ANF.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    You gotta start somewhere and Warbonnet is a great place to do that. Don’t fall into “analysis paralysis” trying to figure out what the best hammock is, because there is no one best hammock.

Sounds like you’ve done some research and know you’ll need some kind of insulation too. An XLC with a Wookie is a pretty solid, tried, and true setup. 20% off right now should seal the deal!

Warbonnet does offer a 60 day try it out or send it back (minus shipping of course) so it’s a pretty safe bet too. I don’t think Dutch or Hammockgear offers that.

Welcome to the group!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    I'd buy used and find something you truly like. I've not owned a Warbonnet hammock, but I hear they are particular when it comes to getting just the right hang. That might dissuade a new person to hammocks.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    2 - WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Wookie custom
    Suspension
    Dyneema Buckles
    Images
    Hey drsolarmolar ~ Not sure if this will go out to everyone but I wanted to direct it to you.... I still have yet to order... I gotta tell you... for the last several hours... I have a lot of time on my hands - I looked at LOTS of video's lots of comparisons and lots of reviews. I think I'm gonna stay on the WB ship for sure, but I'm thinking about going with the RidgeRunner. I like the way it's a flat layer - weight means nothing to me. For now - I am looking for something that I can walk 100 yards into the woods and relax with my phone or book / I dig the theory behind this. I am going with the double fabric as well...1) for the warmth but mainly because I am 260lb's.... I HOPE this won't be something that the guys at WB tell me could be an issue. I plan on speaking with them on Monday to ask that question AND to make SURE that the one I want IS in stock. Now..... tell me how much I'm going to love the RidgeRunner!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyracer View Post
    Hey drsolarmolar ~ Not sure if this will go out to everyone but I wanted to direct it to you.... I still have yet to order... I gotta tell you... for the last several hours... I have a lot of time on my hands - I looked at LOTS of video's lots of comparisons and lots of reviews. I think I'm gonna stay on the WB ship for sure, but I'm thinking about going with the RidgeRunner. I like the way it's a flat layer - weight means nothing to me. For now - I am looking for something that I can walk 100 yards into the woods and relax with my phone or book / I dig the theory behind this. I am going with the double fabric as well...1) for the warmth but mainly because I am 260lb's.... I HOPE this won't be something that the guys at WB tell me could be an issue. I plan on speaking with them on Monday to ask that question AND to make SURE that the one I want IS in stock. Now..... tell me how much I'm going to love the RidgeRunner!
    I’m a Ridgerunner guy myself. That was my first (and still preferred) hammock. My concern for you is the double layer Ridgerunner is max rated for 250lbs. I’m sure that’s somewhat conservative but still. I am around 220 lbs and feel I’m just about maxing it. A double layer XLC will easily support 260lbs. (The heavy duty double layer is rated for like 400lbs!). Also if you’re more wide, especially in the shoulders (I’m not implying anything here, lol) the RR might be a little tight. The XLC definitely has more shoulder room.

The double fabric layer really isn’t warmer than a single layer. You’ll still need a pad or underquilt. The double layer is for more weight capacity, not insulation.

Are you a back sleeper? Side sleeper?

Definitely talk to the folks at Warbonnet. They’re great. They can guide you in the best way to go! Take any advice they give over mine!
    Last edited by drsolarmolar; 04-04-2020 at 17:54.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast