Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Question Is there a definitive TQ thread?

Hey everyone,

I'm in the market for a new TQ. (Actually my first) I'm currently using a Western Mountaineering 20 degree down sleeping bag I got for tent camping and I find it generally warm enough but somewhat heavy and bulky and not particularly suited to hammock use.

Sorry, back to my question. I'm a little bewildered by all the options available from a plethora of cottage manufacturers.

I've seen a couple of very positive reviews on the Warbonnet Diamondback, but generally when people discuss TQ mfg's they don't mention WB. Why is that? Is the Diamondback not a good value? Is it a good quilt but prohibitively expensive?

I have many questions about options, such as zippered vs sewn foot box, draw cord for the back, draft collar or no, extra wide or normal, and others.

I've done a number of searches but haven't found anything like a general information "sticky" for top quilts for beginners. I'm talking "for dummies" level material.

I appreciate any thoughts or links anyone might have.

Thanks and be healthy!

Hammock
    DIY basic
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I too am wondering while pondering the entry level top quilt question. Given my name, and after checking it out I know that the diamondback is way out of my league, I'd feel like the fat kid taking the prom queen out on a date backpacking with that thing in my pack. However, I'm right now on the fence between dreaming of being high-class enough for a Hammockgear burrow, or doing what I did with the underquilt part and building my own from ripstopbytheroll.

So, I've got no help for you, but I'm letting those in the know out there that there's an audience building out here hoping for some good stuff from the pro's.

Images
    There is no sticky thread because there's an entire sub-forum on that topic.

Any of the cottage vendors listed on these forums are going to get you a top-notch product. Warbonnet makes excellent gear.

'Round here, we don't aggregate information into easy-to-consume beginner guides. Keeps the n00bs out ;-) If you have questions just post and some knowledgeable person will happily answer your questions. If you have questions for specific vendors, post into the respective vendor sub-forum.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    For years I managed top quilts by modifying sleeping bags (you can make it more compact and lighter - just decide on what you need versus what you don't need) and then by DIYing my own. Then I bought a good one one (Leigh-lo, no longer available). Until your budget is bigger, it's probably up to you, but leiavoia's right, ask questions. Noobs always welcome.

Specifics: sewn footbox for me. Even my current (and last) TQ has a sewn side, but a gathered open tube at the end. I never open it.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gilmore362 View Post

I have many questions about options, such as zippered vs sewn foot box, draw cord for the back, draft collar or no, extra wide or normal, and others.

I have a couple of TQs with zip/cinch foot box and several sewn. The sewn ones work fine and that is all I'll be getting in the future should I need new ones. Easy enough on warm nights to vent a sewn one by simply sticking out a leg.

Draw cord around the neck but not the back. All my TQs are Enlightened Equipment and the back draw cord is not an option, and I've done just fine without it.

No draft collars.

Normal width for me @5-9/170 ... one of my quilts is a 20deg wide (EE Enigma) and it is actually too much. No problem to stuff in the extra side material but it just isn't needed. I acquired this quilt when I was a ground sleeper and the extra width was useful there.

Good advice about going with any of our established cottage quilt folks. However, I'd recommend getting quilts made with thin shells (10D or 7D) because they're significantly lighter and stuff much more compactly, even when comparing 800fp and 950fp down. But if you save your pennies and get a quilt with 7D/950fp combo it is something you will thank yourself for every time you use it.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    There are a couple of questions that need answering because there isn’t one RIGHT TQ. Many people have two - one for mid summer temps and one for the shoulder seasons of late fall and early spring. If I could only have one, I’d get something rated 20 degrees. I’ve found an enclosed footbox (sewn) is warmer than one the cinches up - But that’s not necessarily a good thing of you’ll be using it in a wide temperature range and may need to vent some heat - however, I usually do that by pulling the TQ off my chest a little and leave the footbox cinched up (i.e., I don’t bother with it).

I know they don’t give those Western Mountaineering bags away so you might have a significant investment in it already. Aside from the bulk/packability, all you’d have to do is unzip it to about 2.5 - 3.0 ft from the bottom and just use it as a TQ/blanket.

If you have all your hammock kit together and the last item is an “official” TQ, then sure, go for it. But if you are just starting to put something together, AND you can live with the WM bag in your pack, you might considerer other items first - if you have to spread purchases out.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is my pitch.....
    I love the Diamondback.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Warbonnett has been in the hammock business for a long time and makes great stuff. My wife and I have been using their gear for 10 years now. So has Hammock Gear. Good gear is not cheap. Depending on the weather conditions you plan to camp out in, most folks here on the forum ( and so do I ) recommend getting a 20 degree rated UQ and or TQ as this temperature rating will take care of most needs. 950 fill down is among the lightest weight down you can get but you will pay more for it over the same item made with 850 fill down and you will not save that much weight. The only reason I would get gear with 950 fill down is if saving some space in my pack was the most important need.

On Shug's video on using a sleeping bag in a hammock, I have used my old NF Ibex mummy bag but I used it as a top quilt. Dam thing shrunk in the closet since I got it in 1974 and I can't fit inside of it anymore.
    Last edited by gunner76; 04-05-2020 at 00:53.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Images
    Wow, I'm impressed with the responses I've gotten to my original post. Thanks to all of you for taking the time.

Addressing a couple of questions/suggestions:

As far as using my WM sleeping bag in the hammock, that's what I have done so far. I zipped it up to just below my knees and it has worked okay. I don't like the zipper scratching my legs. One poster suggested modifying/reworking the sleeping bag into a proper quilt, but I just can't bring myself to cut up my WM 20 degree bag. It was my prized camping possesion for many years.

I'm really suprised by the responses about the foot box option. Initially, I thought a zippered or gathered foot box would be more versatile. A couple of people mentioned they liked the zippered box, but it seems most feel like they don't have a use for it. I'm now leaning towards a permanent sewn footbox.

Regarding the draft collar, it seems some people really like it and some don't care for it. (Duh!) I've never used one and really don't have any idea what the pros and cons would be.

At least one person suggested going with the highest grade of down and the thinnest material to keep the weight and bulk down. I really like that idea, especially for summer hiking, but I'm concerned about the durability of the quilt. I'm not particularly rough on my gear, but I don't go out of my way to be gentle either. Anybody else want to "weigh in" on this topic.

Does anybody think that the UQ should be matched to the hammock or are they basically generic? I have several hammocks; a WBBB XLC a WBRR and an AGG Quicksilver to name a few.

My goal is to eventually end up with multiple seasons of gear. I currently live in VA where it can get quite warm in the summer, but up in the mountains (where I like to camp) it can get cool at night even in the summer. I also want to end up with gear that I can use in Northern Michigan (where I used to live) during the winter. I have a number of crazy friends that only like to go out when it's below zero.... (you know who you are!)

So ultimate goals are light and compressible for camping and hiking in the summer and crazy warm for hard cold winter camping with a pulk. I realize these are too very different goals, and I expect I'll end up with multiple TQ's and UQ's. Shug I'm impressed and amazed at your "collection" of different top quilts and other gear. One day you should open a hammock gear museum!

Sorry for rambling....

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    Quote Originally Posted by gilmore362 View Post
    At least one person suggested going with the highest grade of down and the thinnest material to keep the weight and bulk down. I really like that idea, especially for summer hiking, but I'm concerned about the durability of the quilt. I'm not particularly rough on my gear, but I don't go out of my way to be gentle either. Anybody else want to "weigh in" on this topic.
    I am the same - not particularly rough or gentle and my 7D and 10D top quilt and underquilt fabrics hold up just fine. I do always sleep with some type of socks on to prevent my gnarly feet from snagging, but that's the only special attention that they get. It really is amazing at how much less room in your pack a thinner fabric takes up. I have several different brands of quilts and they all work great but if you are a number cruncher really look into fill weights, lengths, widths etc before you buy. It can be overwhelming but not everyone's 20F quilt has the same amount of fill per overall width,length,weight. When you are shelling out hundreds of dollars it is worth the time.

And I also hate cinch footboxes.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast