Dutch Cameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG Burrow,Phoenix
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Howdy,

I wish I has more experience and could give you many examples of what works what doesn't but I cant, I am a hammock newbie. But what I can share is how I selected the gear I am waiting on to be delivered. When it comes to gear, my life literally depends on it to stay alive in a worst case weather situations, I tend to chose highly rated gear I only need to buy once. I have lived long enough to learn buying cheap or buying "get me by gear" means cold nights or heavy packs resulting in having to purchase the same thing again sooner that later. Regarding the quilts. I looked at a lot of manufactures and quickly narrowed it down to the cottage variety. Very high quality, similar features that meet specific backpacking needs and made in the USA. I chose HammockGear quite simply because of their recent Easter sale. The 15% off and the 4 week lead time was the difference. Like I said, all the cottage makers are producing very high quality gear, I doubt you can go wrong with any of them. Send them emails, they are all very helpful.

I went with a wide 20degree wide top quilt with a sewn footbox. Simply because it will meet most of my spring and fall needs and can be doubled up to go lower and vented to go higher. I also love to have my feet outside of my sleeping bag so for me, I am confident the cinch footbox will be great for me. I am sure I will get a 40degree setup someday but I only had so much of budget. As we all know, this gear is not cheap. But I intend to sleep as comfortable as I can and survive all situations. Also, I chose wide because I know I will be going ground packing with friends on occasion and needed a versatile quilt.

I hope this helps a bit, sorry I don't have more actual field experience but stay tuned for that.

I think the reason you don't see a lot here about the Diamondback is that it is relatively new to the market. That said, it gets great reviews. No surprise, considering that all of the previous WB products are really well liked.

I don't own any Warbonnet top quilts, but their underquilts are top-notch. I have WB underquilts because they are a perfect fit for my Ridgerunner, but for top quilts, where I'm not worried about fit, I prefer to save a bit of money with an economy quilt from Hammock Gear. If you don't mind not having an economy option however, I'm sure you can't go wrong with a Warbonnet top quilt.

A quilt rarely mentioned here are the ones from Katabatic Gear. I have not seen every quilt iut there, but my Katabatic seems better made than the other cottage quilts I've seen. It is also very well designed and stays snug around me better than any other I have tried. It is not the absolute lightest option, but it is very light, and really a dream to use. I'm a cold sleeper, and their ratings seem pretty spot on for me. Also their attention to detail is incredible. Many quilts just have a snap sewn in to the collar. Katabatic makes sure it won't tear out and is easy to use. Highly recomended.

I don't have any quilts from locolibre to compare, but I have some on the way. I hear great things about them.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG45 View Post
    A quilt rarely mentioned here are the ones from Katabatic Gear. I have not seen every quilt iut there, but my Katabatic seems better made than the other cottage quilts I've seen. It is also very well designed and stays snug around me better than any other I have tried. It is not the absolute lightest option, but it is very light, and really a dream to use. I'm a cold sleeper, and their ratings seem pretty spot on for me. Also their attention to detail is incredible. Many quilts just have a snap sewn in to the collar. Katabatic makes sure it won't tear out and is easy to use. Highly recomended.

I don't have any quilts from locolibre to compare, but I have some on the way. I hear great things about them.
    I'd love to hear your comparison between Loco Libre and Katabatic. I have two quilts from LL, and his craftsmanship is the best I've come across in the quilt world. But I have never owned a Katabatic quilt- though I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    I'd love to hear your comparison between Loco Libre and Katabatic. I have two quilts from LL, and his craftsmanship is the best I've come across in the quilt world. But I have never owned a Katabatic quilt- though I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Will do, though I think there is a difference between the features of his UL quilts, and his regular line. Not sure though. I do have a pillow from him, and though maybe small, it is the best pillow I have found. He made a matching pillowcase for it, so I can clean it much easier. I have no doubt the quality of the LL stuff is really good.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    UGQ Down
    Suspension
    Treeee straps!
    If you look at the UGQ section of the forum you’ll find a good article on topquilts as a sticky topic.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12