Tarp
    Winter Haven 13
    Insulation
    HG, SLD, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

0° or 30° underquilt?

I dont have the budget for 2 underquilts and am trying to decide if you can comfortably sleep in a 0° underquilt upto say 40 or 45°. The weight difference in the SMR inferno 0 and 30 is negligible to me, only 4 or 6 oz. I'd prefer to have a 0* for when it drops below 30 but I never am out lower than 20s. Interested in thoughts/experiences!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can always vent a UQ but it is harder to get a three season UQ to meet the freezing and below temps.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Once you start packing and see the volume difference between the two, the weight difference won't mean anything. Sometimes, I wish I could trade the added bulk of a 0° for an extra 1 or even 2 lbs! Only 19% joking there.

Hammock
    1.7SL WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20° TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Hooks
    Someone recently said on this site something that I really liked: your mattress is a -50 degree underquilt; when you get hot, you don't change the mattress. If you can only do one, go for the 0. You can always go lighter on top, or vent the UQ. OneClick's point about volume is spot-on, so think hard about your pack size, how often you'll use the UQ, when in the season you'll (really actually truly) get outside, and how far you'll hike. HYOH.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ufdigga View Post
    Someone recently said on this site something that I really liked: your mattress is a -50 degree underquilt; when you get hot, you don't change the mattress. If you can only do one, go for the 0. You can always go lighter on top, or vent the UQ. OneClick's point about volume is spot-on, so think hard about your pack size, how often you'll use the UQ, when in the season you'll (really actually truly) get outside, and how far you'll hike. HYOH.
    The mattress thing doesn't work for me though. First, they're like $1000...and MASSIVE and heavy. No one is going to "swap" these even if they had the money and space. Plus, even a frugal person like me keeps the thermostat pretty narrow, between 66 and 75° at any given time. That's not enough to matter when you can just add blankets or just a thin sheet on top. And mattresses don't "wrap" around you as much, nor do they "radiate" heat back at you like down.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    EE/HG/UGQ quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/straps
    Images
    Why not get a 20 degree underquilt?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    How are you going to use this quilt? Are you a backyard weekend warrior or a car camper and only going to carry it a few steps? Or are you a backpacker planning to pound some miles?

The former.. get the warmer quilt and learn to vent it. A 0F is a huge mound of down that is a challenge to carry and pack.

The latter... That's me... consider the lighter quilt, maybe even a 20F and with the money you save buy some down pants, belaclava and jacket to augment your quilts when temps drop, with the added versatility of being warm around camp. And learn to vent for warmer days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Get a 20. If you must go into lower temps, use your puffy at the foot end and cover your feet. Put a sit pad behind your shoulders/butt and wear more clothing. You'll be fine.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    What Mike said. If you are car camping and not backpacking a ton of miles, then go for the all out comfort. If you are going to be putting in miles, then go with the 20 degree and supplement as needed. I've had my 30 degree down to zero with a pair of fleece pants.

I don't know much about SMR, but they seem kind of pricey. $758 for a 0 degree set? An econ set from Hammock Gear is $360. Premium quilts from HG or Loco Libre would still be half of that and I'm willing to bet a better product.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by unshavenman View Post
    Why not get a 20 degree underquilt?
    i vote for a 20 as well. My first UQ was an HG 20* Phoenix. I used it for two years before finally getting an HG 0* Incubator.

Note: I never hike more than 4 miles with the 0* Incubator. It's just too large and bulky (especially when paired with a 0* TQ).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast