WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle

Flat Lay with an Underquilt

I'm new to hammocking and I've got a Kammok Mantis and a 20 degree HG Economy Incubator for an under quilt. I get a significantly flatter lay with no under quilt. With the under quilt, it's not uncomfortable, but it is not nearly as comfortable of a lay as without the under quilt. Is that normal, or are there some adjustments you guys would suggest to get an equally flat lay with the Incubator?

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I just got a Trail Winder UQ from Simply Light Designs. The design is such that it does not affect the lay of the hammock like a traditional UQ- because it basically hangs like a secondary hammock under your hammock. It's a great piece of gear!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sls25 View Post
    I'm new to hammocking and I've got a Kammok Mantis and a 20 degree HG Economy Incubator for an under quilt. I get a significantly flatter lay with no under quilt. With the under quilt, it's not uncomfortable, but it is not nearly as comfortable of a lay as without the under quilt. Is that normal, or are there some adjustments you guys would suggest to get an equally flat lay with the Incubator?
    Often UQs take some time to get just right depending the combo of UQ and hammock.
    You can bias the UQ to conform to your lay somewhat.

I allude to it at about 2:40 in the video below. Basically you are skewing the UQ to kinda go on your sleep angle.

Hammocks and especially UQs take a bit of patience.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If you can find someone to help you with the setup it might be easier. In order to entice them, tell they they get to lie in the hammock. I’d imagine you’d set the hammock up, without the UQ, just the way it is most comfortable for you. Then get out and let the other person get in - no need to make any adjustments for them - they are just “body weight” to give the hammock it’s usual shape/load. Then, with your friend in it, you can set the UQ.

Not all UQ’s are made the same so be sure, if your UQ has a head end - that it is oriented correctly. And if your UQ has a differential cut, that it is the right side up. Now you can snug up the UQ so it just presses against the hammock. If the UQ does have a differential cut, you don’t have to worry about compressing the down by rigging it too tight.

There are all kinds of ideas on the best fit - ends gathered real tight or not, addition lift with a hook over a ridge line, etc. The person in the hammock will probably be able to tell right away when the UQ is cinched up enough to capture/hold warmth. So then you adjust/knot the UQ bungee suspension so you can duplicate that configuration each time you hang.

Shug’s videos mention that the UQ should (Shug) lift the hammock when you’re not in it - and mine always have - the bungee cord that holds them that way for me has always had enough give that it hasn’t pushed my body into an uncomfortable position.

With only one person, it can be difficult to get refined - you can’t be in the hammock and out of it at the same time to make adjustments - well … maybe in some aspects of quantum physics you can. But it might be easier to use an under quilt protector. That’s another “love it” or “who needs one - just extra stuff” item. For me, mostly setting up alone, and with different hammocks so I don’t have just one setting for the UQ, the UQP allows me to be a little sloppy in the UQ setup and still be toasty warm.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 04-03-2020 at 13:25.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts