Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I actually never understood the struggle of a sleeping bag. I did it for about a year. Just push your feet in like a TQ, same thing. Then lean up a little and throw the top half up behind you. Lie down and zip up.
    I agree never had an issue and still use my 0* on at least my coldest trips as it is wider than my OWL The Zero TQ and offers a bit of extra warmth (see below).
    I don't zip though just use it exactly like a TQ, ram feet in bottom and flop the bag over body, then tuck sides under body.
    My bag is a mummy (yours is too I guess) so once I fold the mummy top to the inside, my torso stays super toasty as I have double layers on my chest.
    My issue in cold (teens on down) is the zipper. It's colder than crap and a very unwanted surprise on bare skin.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradA72 View Post
    Using any available time during the day when the rain stops to dry out your gear helps, obviously if it’s nonstop rain days on end but usually there are breaks.
    I was hiking the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon a few years ago. It was October, and it rained nearly 36 hours straight, constant fog, with temps in the mid-thirties. I was getting really hypothermic - everything was wet. Suddenly, as we were hiking, the sun came out! I stripped down to my boxer shorts, hung the tarp, and hammock, and put my quilts and all my clothes out to dry. My hiking partner thought I was crazy, but a couple of hours in the sun can dry out some gear, and warm up a hypothermic body.

I just sat there in my boxer shorts, had a warm meal and a cup of coffee, and thanked the Lord for that break in the weather. I swear I was warmer in just boxer shorts in the sun than I was wearing my soggy clothes! That couple of hours of sun really dried everything out, and the rest of the trip was pretty nice.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The biggest problem I find with multiple consecutive days of nonstop rain is the threat of hypothermia. Have you ever been hiking in nonstop rain and you get so soaked and hypothermic that your brain stops functioning? I do like hiking and camping in inclement weather, but there comes a time when not even the best gear will hold up against the weather.

The first thing to go when you're hypothermic is your decision-making ability. It just goes straight to hell, or it does with me. Your brain just stops functioning normally. I know when I get hypothermic that I have to get off the trail immediately, or something bad is gonna happen.

A few years back I went on a canoe trip in the Pine Barrens. It was March and cold, and it rained a lot. I could feel my brain shutting down with hypothermia so I told my passenger I needed to get out of the rain and warm up. We hung a tarp on the shore of the Batsto River, lit one of those little candle lanterns for warmth and had a hot meal. My friend made hot chocolate with cayenne pepper - very tasty. Within 45 minutes, I was warmed up and ready to finish the paddle!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    One winter I was xc skiing back home and felt pretty exhausted. I was having a discussion with myself about stopping to drink water. I wondered about the benefit of getting the badly needed liquid vs adding something cold (the water wasn’t that cold) to my core. When I finally stopped and drank some water, it was if I had awoken from a dream.

My first action when I got back to town was to stop at a store and buy a thermos. Now, whenever I go out alone, I carry a thermos of hot liquid. I’ve also learned to recognize the phrase, “All I need to do is stop and take a short nap.” If that thought, or something like it, appears in my head or is voiced by anyone I’m adventuring with - then it’s time for anti-hypotherma measures (short rest while eating/drinking something, make sure you/they have wind protection clothing, etc.).
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Thank you very much for this thread. A future AT hike is what recently got me interested in hammocking. I totally agree with the comments that the only way to know if it will work is to do it. But we can learn a lot from the experience of others.

In my initial thoughts of gear planning for the AT (Starting with freezing rain in March, slow transition to oppressive heat and humidity, then on to snow flurries at the end) I was wondering if it would be prudent to start with a combo of short underquilt and a self-inflating pad in a double-layer hammock, all covered by a DWR winter cover. Then lose the foam pad and winter cover when weather heats up. The foam pad won't have the problems with moisture.

i haven't had to deal with this in a long time (and saying this makes me very sad), and i wasn't enlightened then (was still condemned to the ground), but thinking about it, on a through hike i would probably consider this, assuming "cheating" and getting into a shelter on the way was not possible: take a day or half day off from hiking, find a nice spot to setup the tarp in a compact shape (probably some version of pyramid shape), flush on the ground so no wind leaks from under, and then fire up the alchoohol stove or what have you, and make it nice and warm. deploy the essentials a bit so they can get dry (hammock, insulation, boots), read a book. or two. of course it would mean you'd have to have a book (but i never leave home without my eink book reader), and a ground sheet and sitting pad would be nice too, seeing as you'd have to be on the ground for a while, for this exercise, but for a through hike where you expect rain, it doesn't seem unreasonable to have those things. would it work at all, though?

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234