Dutch chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet minifly
    Insulation
    Loco UQ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Doubl Woopie

UQ suspension pulling hammock fix

This may be a known fix, not sure. I found it on my own and just thought it might be helpful to someone.

The problem I was having was that the partial UQ I have was pulling my hammock ends together causing my Ridgeline to be very loose when not in the hammock. It was also causing excessive upward pressure on my pullouts. This has been traditionally fixed using Dutch Ridgeline quilt hooks or AHE triangle thingies. Im sure they are great products, but i found this to accomplish the same without need to order additional items.

What i did: I took a 4" larks headed loop and hooked it to the hammock Ridgelines fixed eye through the hammocks sewn channels at each end. The UQ suspension biner is connected to this. 20200328_222348.jpgI also put a bead through the primary suspension cords on both sides before the biner. This bead can be adjusted to determine the underquilts hang angle. The secondary adjustment suspension just goes directly to the biner as it already did This fixed the issue with my Dutch Chameleon+loco hobenero, but I'm sure it'll work on many more hammocks.

The result was that my UQ has a more relaxed hang and puts less pressure on my hammock & tie outs. I also like how my hammocks Ridgeline is tighter when no weight is in it, resulting in it being easier to get myself and other stuff in/out of it. This works by not only changing the hang angle of the UQ, but also by pulling the slack out of the hammocks ridgeline.

See pic for a more detailed look at what I did.
    Last edited by Gt5228; 03-28-2020 at 21:26.

That's pretty slick. If it's a known fix, I've never seen it before so you may have invented it. I guess that it essentially adds some slack to the UQ suspension, slack that is pulling more on the hammock ridgeline than on the hammock suspension.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I can't really make out what you did.. a photo would help. Sounds like you added some length to the UQ suspension using some cordage threaded through the end channel?

I added a small loop of z-line through the hammocks CL.. about two inch long loop. I then added a small hook to the UQ suspension instead of biners and hook the UQ to the loop. That adds four inches to the UQ suspension. I recall Sqidmark (RIP brother) used to attach a short ucr to the CL on his hammocks as a way to ease the tension on the suspension.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet minifly
    Insulation
    Loco UQ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Doubl Woopie
    Pics:
    20200331_212539.jpg20200331_212602.jpg20200331_212610.jpg
    20200331_212627.jpg

I think you got the idea.

It's worth mentioning that I also use the built in pack hooks to keep the quilt in position, I even added some of dutch's clip on quilt hooks to the D-rings that don't already have pack hooks.

The beads seen in the pic allow me to adjust the hang angle on the UQ, but they are not usually pulled forward this far. What they do is similar to dutch's ridgeline quilt hooks, only it doesent require me to pull the already tight UQ suspension tighter. They are also considerably easier to adjust in my opinion. Another benefit to this is that the UQ suspension is virtually unchanged with acception to the bead I added. In other words, it can still be used in a traditional manor.

If I had to think of a disadvantage, I'd say that it's the fact that this requires the UQ suspension to be clipped to the inside portion of the hammock. This means that the user needs to unclip the hammock on each side to pass the biner and uq suspension end through the hammock suspension so that it can be attached on the inside. For me it's no biggie with my Dutch double woopie hooks but can see how other hammock suspension systems would make this more of a pain.
    Last edited by Gt5228; 03-31-2020 at 21:22.

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet minifly
    Insulation
    Loco UQ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Doubl Woopie
    Thanks! Yeah pretty much I'd say. I'm a bit of an OCD type(not literally). I appreciate things that are orderly. I was just not having it before this when my hammock was all wadded and twisted up in it's own ridgeline.
    Last edited by Gt5228; 03-31-2020 at 21:23.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gt5228 View Post
    If I had to think of a disadvantage, I'd say that it's the fact that this requires the UQ suspension to be clipped to the inside portion of the hammock. This means that the user needs to unclip the hammock on each side to pass the biner and uq suspension end through the hammock suspension so that it can be attached on the inside.
    The pictures helped.

I really like the bead idea. You could resolve the above by splitting your UQ suspension into two, a left and right side. Terminate each side with a fixed loop or a small shock cord fixed hook and connect each side independently to the cordage you added. hmmm... that would defeat the bead.

Gotta think about this a bit. I use the becket hitch and if it weren't for having to disconnect to attach quilt I would use this idea..

I clip my quilt on in the manner I mentioned above and either a micro mitten hook as pictured below, or on another hammock I have just the diamond knot prussik pictured below.. without the hook. It works like a evo look or soft shackle. Grab the suspension cords, wrap the black z-line around the suspension and push the diamond knot between the strands of the cord. Saves a half gram by not using the mitten hook...

The prussik does what your bead does.. adjusts along the RL to accommodate either full or partial length quilts.

Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet minifly
    Insulation
    Loco UQ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Doubl Woopie
    NICE!
    This only works with a netless hammock though right?

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    ...I clip my quilt on in the manner I mentioned above and either a micro mitten hook as pictured below...

The prussik does what your bead does.. adjusts along the RL to accommodate either full or partial length quilts.

I do the same as this. It's a good solution when using a Fronkey bug net.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gt5228 View Post
    NICE!
    This only works with a netless hammock though right?

Yes... all but one of my hammocks are either Half Wit style or net-less. For the one hammock that uses a fully integrated net, I use one of the Nite Ize rubber coated wire ties over the ridge line like a ridge line quilt hook from Dutch. They are easier on the bug net fabric...less likely to tear the noseeum.
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts