Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Hang Tight/ SLD TW
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Thank you! That was a thoughtful response and has given me a few ideas how to evaluate what I think I should do.

Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    I can't answer to all of your questions, but
    #2 - I'm 6' and have no trouble in a TW. It totally covers me and I get a bit more diagonal than some. I do have a full one and not an asym.

#3a - there are a couple recent threads about stacking quilts featuring the TW and it seems to work great. Not everyone wants to pack two under quilts to get the warmth of one appropriate rated quilt but if you're not UL backpacking and just car/ moto/ kayak camping that may not matter.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    SLD TW UQ; misc TQ
    While I haven't tried mine out yet, I wanted to post about another excellent buying experience. I ordered a 20 degree non-asym 10 foot TW last Wednesday, a bit after noon. I got a shipping notification Thursday morning with a note adding "as soon as I can get to town", and in my hands Monday/yesterday. That kind of super fast speed is awesome for any company, let alone for a product that is made upon order.

I also had a couple simple questions before and after, both times Jared sent clear answers back within a couple hours.

Looking at the UQ, I can't imagine that I'll have any issues with it. The workmanship seems excellent.

If it works like I expect and after I can figure out my lay angle, I'll likely order a 40 degree sym for warmer weather.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    About 140 nights in mine so far this year and still loving it.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    WookieUQ BurrowTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TDGuentner View Post
    I'm sorry if this has already been covered in this thread, but I've been eyeing up the 40 degree Trail Winder UQ and I have a few questions.

1. I'm currently using a 40ish degree synthetic UQ similar to the ENO Ember 2 and am a warm sleeper. I have been sleeping comfortably around 30 and fairly comfortably down to 20 degrees with the right sleep clothes (down booties over wool socks, fleece sweatpants, wool base layer top, fleece hoodie, fleece hat w/ buff) and a similarly rated TQ. Would the Trail Winder be comparable in it's ability to be effective at least down to 30 degrees?

2. The only cold spots I get on a diagonal lay (head right, feet left) are on my right shoulder or in my feet. I suspect that part of the problem is that I'm still using a hammock that is 9 and 1/2 feet long and I am 5'10". Once I upgrade to an 11' hammock, would the Trail Winder be able to encapsulate my shoulder and feet enough to prevent these cold spots?

3a. I am planning on getting a Hang Tight 20 degree down UQ once Steve reopens his shop once he is resupplied. Has anyone used the Trail Winder UQ to stack on top of a down UQ for added warmth? And, if so, how much of a boost does it give?

3b.If I'm already running warm and have been able to exceed the ratings of my current gear with enough comfort for a good night's sleep, would it be wise to get the Hang Tight 40 degree down UQ and the 50 degree Trail Winder UQ anticipating that I would stack them in the winter while trying to avoid overheating? Or, is it better to leave the thicker, pack space consuming camp/ sleep clothes at home in favor of having a quilt set up, stacked or otherwise, that is more accurate to the temperature?

4. Has anyone purchased a UQP with the intent of modifying it to a UQ similar to the Trail Winder and have you had success in doing so? I'm imagining Velcro strips on the UQP and the opposing Velcro strips on a asymmetrically shaped, sewn together piece of insulation that could be removed and reinstalled as needed?

5. Have you ever asked a question to a room full of strangers just knowing that you are inside of the Hive Mind and can't wait for the answers?

Thanks!!!

I know this is very late and you have probably already settled on what to do, but maybe useful to other that browse through.

2. I am 5’10” and have the standards TW it is wide enough for my shoulders and covers well. I have .5” thick memory foam pillow I sleep with which keeps my head warm as it is sometimes just off the insulation. Being 5’10” doesn’t say a lot but I am also 215 lbs reglar at the gym and Mma classes so I am fairly thick with broad shoulders. Hope that helps. I do see the Jerod makes a wide version that should give you more room to alter the diagonal you sleep on, I have to do right to get the coverage I need. They did make the wide when I ordered mine.

3a. I don’t know the exact boost but I use my TW in a single and a double for winter. The thing about the TW stacked with another is the added UQ protection it gives being a synthetic design. Stacked it is a noticeable boost in temp though I cannot tell you by how much. The advantage of two is you can move one to the side if it’s too hot. One tip on using the TW as both single and double layer is to set the UQ up on the bottom and get it set just right. Nest set it up as a single and do not adjust the suspension but rather created a figure 8 in the end loop where the biner is. That way you can just mover the biner to the second loop for double and the first for single and not have the fiddle factor of switching between the two set ups.

3b i like stacking mine. It gives more versatility to my set up. I mainly got my TW for spring summer weather we have which can be very damp. The rain doesn’t bother the down as much as the heavy humidity we have where even without rain everything can be damp. I choose the 50* because of the temps we see during the most humid part of the year. Now during the warmer season I just carry the TW when it’s a chance of dropping down to the 20-30s I carry both. When it’s that cold at night the humidity isn’t as bad so I can get by with just my down UQ but having the TW to protect and add warmth is worth it. I do camp off my motorcycle though not a overnight Hiker so the extra weight is no big deal.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456